We need MMR Reset ASAP

I didnt collect accounts at GM kiddo but by all means keep making things up, it sort of makes you sound more ridiculous.

As for what statistically significant sample size would be, well there is a LOT of math to do for that, which I honestly do not feel like doing right now, but if I remember right it was roughly 100 games of non placement ranked or about 1-2 serious seasons of playing (hence why an MMR reset breaks the ladder).

Now the other thing you had wrong was when you talked about having a Masters Zarya vs a Plat Zarya which is not the common occurrence. 1v1 does not matter. You are the constant. To simplify it, over time your opponents and teammates will even out so the only true constant is you. Basically if you are a 2500 player and you belong at 2900, you should hold about a 55-60% win rate. Now this means you could easily lose 4-5 in a row (though as you fall your chance to win goes up) because that is how numbers work. However over time you will push yourself back to your equilibrium point.

Furthermore, once you hit that equilibrium point it is actually fairly likely that you experience an 8 game win or 8 game lose streak to push you past it before you regress/climb to the mean, at least at some point. Once you hit the SR you belong at, whether you win or lose is effectively 50-50 and if, for example, I flip a coin 100 times I EXPECT to see 7-8 of either heads or tails in a row.

Basically MMR is a crutch people use to hold themselves back when if they simply looked at their own gameplay, or had other people do it as I do not mind doing it myself if you share a replay code, then you will learn and you will get better and you will climb, but the moment you fail to see that you are the only thing holding you back then you are done climbing and you are done getting better.

You lost me the moment you said kiddo, not gonna indulge you any further from now on. I did get wrong your wording and assumed you meant you had alts ALSO in GM.

You’re constantly moving goalposts about the severity of the issue of resetting MMR on an individual basis, but you took part on it with multiple accounts. That about sums it up.

Official stance-> as long as you pay, it’s fine.

I don’t think a global reset is the option, but I don’t understand the position that buying a new account makes it okay either. That is quite easy to understand and you keep dancing around it.

You’re also not accounting for the stepping stone ELO for smurfs and alt accounts as something that creates wild raffle systems that render the actual SR mostly invalid.

Again, it doesn’t matter to me as I won’t touch ranked with a 10 foot pole. Sobering experience to have been placed as a soloqueue vs 6 premades in a 20 second search, with most of them being smurfs with master rank <30 and me being a low dia. Came close to winning, but even when winning, I would’ve reaped the least rewards despite individual performance. I’d rather play comp on games where individual weight carries a lot further, like CS:GO.

1 Like

I agree with you, but the thing is my post is not about climbing or “getting better to climb more”, it’s about the games, which aren’t interesting or exciting anymore because of the amount of people offroling or playing like it doesn’t matter anymore because they have their main role SR safe and they just camp it or they just want to get tickets to make their Qs shorter. And you have to add the people who bought their accounts on GM and those people who also paid to get there.

Lol apex does this every season and it takes 1 week

what the hell overwatch has te more d.mb community and devs i swear

1 Like

It’s funny how you’re so sceptical about what I’m saying, but you blindly trust what developers say about a faulty ranked system.

Like I said, go on a masters/gm account and look for yourself.

Role Queue did not Reset MMR because Blizzard went out of their way to track people’s MMR months before even announcing the change exactly not to do it.

There’s a post here in the forums explaining precisely how they handled the role queue change, and there’s an even older interview with Jeff where he explains why they won’t do a MMR reset.

I don’t trust them blindly. I look at the evidence. GM smurfs get back to GM. That’s evidence of SR, over time, reflecting a player’s skill. My own experience points in the same direction. When I play bad over a period of time my SR drops. When I play good, am in a good mood and push myself, my SR rises. So far no evidence has been presented to point in the opposite direction besides worthless anecdotes. No proof, no data. Nothing.

“You can find clips on the internet” isn’t evidence. It’s anecdotes.

Correct. But the system is either efficient or it isn’t.

• If it’s easy to climb to get to where you belong, a reset is a non-issue.
  • If it’s hard, then a reset is worthwhile just for peace of mind and recalibrating the ranks.

A reset gives you the necessary population mixing required for assessing where people currently belong, and catalyzes the correction of any gross mismatches. It gets the most people back to where they belong for the least amount of disruption.

The above isn’t really debatable.

The only argument against is “chaos for months” - which is false hyperbole.

Also tautological. A reset doesn’t break this. Following a reset, you climb better if you truly deserve your rank. The rank you are climbing to also has more fidelity and is made more relevant. So it’s win/win.

You can get to work through rush hour traffic or see a doctor after 8+ hrs wait in the ER - that doesn’t mean the system is “fine”.

No manmade highpop system on earth is fine after 5+ years of zero interventions. Every one of them loses fit-for-purpose status. It needs adaptation, maintenance, restorations, repairs, replacements, renormalizations, recalibrations, resets.

Unless you think they somehow invented the holy grail of perfect ladders that self-heals, corrects for constant-sum effects, sheds entropy, avoids alt disruption, and maintains structural integrity?

These devs are entertainers, not research scientists. “Good enough but hard wrong” fits their ability, and may as well be there their motto.

Another gamer shows up parroting the same “months of chaos” without any technical backing? It would help the forums (and devs) if you applied some math, and showed precisely what you mean by “settle down properly”. And please show us how you computed “over half a year”.

MMR reset would be ugly at first, i mean you might end up in a game with a former top 500 gm player more likely than you would at this moment i think??? (unless a ton of them smurf constantly - dont know if true )

You asked for clarification after getting condescending and then I gave you exactly what you asked for. Very specific numbers.

Also they are accounted for. If they did not exist then the win rate averages would be far higher. The reason that its only 55-60% for a few hundred SR difference is because both sides are equally likely to have “smurfs” on them (though its particularly likely) or just have a team that does not mesh. However those always even out which means that you are the constant. If you are better you will climb if you are not you will not.

Basically all variables were accounted when stating that you are the SR you deserve and if you are better you will climb and I am not redoing Math from over a year ago to get that number which was about 100 (and I remember not being surprised by it being around that).

A reset does fundamentally break this unless you are at the very top or the very bottom by adding in such a wide degree of variance that the relative number of 100 might triple or even quadruple due to adding in a whole host of people who fundamentally do not belong where they are.

The reason you are the SR you belong at is because the variance is not as high as people think it is. People complained like crazy about what priority queue did to match quality for the first couple months. Now an MMR reset says “okay lets do that but significantly worse”. Not a little worse… drastically worse. You may as well tell everyone to quit for 6 months while they wait for everyone to go right back where they were before you can start up and have good games again.

1 Like

Depends on how many active alts.

Apex even has mmr? Clearly mmr means less in a battle royale compared to other games, especially small 6v6 ones, where it doesn’t end after one death. Just like league has long seasons where rank barely resets.

If I had to guess ow2 will be out Early 2022 or very late this year December
I don’t remember the whole news on its release date just that it is not expected to release in 2021 and the product at blizzcon looked fairly complete
so based off this wouldn’t we get an MMR reset then?
If so I probably won’t play comp for a few months after it releases just so I don’t have to play against GM players climbing
this is just an opinion from someone who hasn’t really payed a whole lot of attention toward ow2 though so I might be wrong

Of course, but if ever they choose to play their alts many months down the road, would be like placing a new account again.

soft Reset like they do in valorant ish (im prob lying here but who cares) you really NEED to do full reset for OW2 or its not a new game… plus I might sue

Hate to disappoint you all but when talking with CM Josh Nash, he confirmed for me that there are no changes planned for season 27.

Well if they only play 5 they’ll place at 3900 maximum

REspectively you are playing on your third account. you are part of the problem to be fair. you are part of the smurf watch problem playing at 1000 sr below you are supposed to be playing. Many of us have alternate accounts and low and behold makes us all part of the problem.

I really hope overwatch 2 will clean up the alternate account problem along with the lack of incentives for casual joe blows to keep queing. and basically for everyone to just play on one account where they belong so we wont have to deal with this unstable ladder non sense. Just put in unranked competitive in arcade for learning new heroes for 2 arcade bubble wins and call it a day.

1 Like

The thing is, an MMR reset wouldn’t work in overwatch because you only go up or down in rank based off team performance. I can pop off and get 100+ elims in a game but my team can feed off CD, someone can be throwing, and I can’t solo a game 1v6 so I lose SR. So an MMR reset would be miserable for almost everyone. Those who are leagues better will still climb, but it would be a miserable process while it happens. Two things need to happen to fix overwatch competitive play.

1. MMR reset to flatten out all accounts. And an SR reset every season to drop every account to a rank or two below last seasons final rank. (If diamond they are dropped to plat, or gold GM goes to masters or diamond) Or a set amount of points I:E 500 points, or a thousand points below last placement 2700 - 2200 etc.
  2. Whole revamp to the SR system that rewards points for different objectives on an individual standpoint PLUS a team standpoint.

For example: to go up in SR you get a certain amount of points for kills, healing, objective time, time spent on fire (increasing peoples incentives to play better all the time), life savers, kill streaks, assists, stops on ultimates (shut downs) and obviously gain the most points for winning games.

On the opposite spectrum: you lose points for deaths to discourage feeding, for taking obscene amounts of damage over normal, and obviously, for losing games.

This fixes two major problems in overwatch, the first is throwers. Throwers ruin games. If I want to lower SR to play with friends in ranks below me I have to buy a new account, go through the pain of 12+/- hours to level it while playing QP with those friends to average my SR to theirs, and then play my placements with them to get placed near them. Other people just go into games and throw. What do we do when someone throws? We report and go next and maybe that person is banned for 3 days, maybe, but most people still lose 25-50SR because one person is a jackass and wants to lower SR to smurf or whatever. With a new system based on individual performance PLUS team performance the one guy throwing doesn’t ruin 5 other peoples experience and keep them trapped in an SR lock because those 5 can just gain enough points to negate the thrower. And second, it fixes the problem of people off roleing. If someone is 3200 on healer and only played healer, their DPS will be in that rank because of the current system but they might only be 1800 on DPS which means they are throwing, unintentionally but still throwing because they DO NOT BELONG in that rank on DPS. Same for vice versa being that high on DPS and lower on tank etc.