We are losing so much from the one tank approach

1. All CC design possibilities for current AND future Damage heroes are all eliminated.

Sombra hack amps dmg, Mei can’t freeze, Doomfist full rework… if the only goal is “to picking a hero that deals the most damage”, then forced meta picks will be more serious than now.

1. Keep diluting the importance of main shield tanks just for making sure the current off-tanks will be playable.

No matter it’s called Tank or Brawler in future, I just want them to clearer define the existance of the role. Feel like all tanks, main or off ones, are now just a “Beefier dps” who are not supposed to provide much defensive utility for the team.

1. Supports playing experience

In the current OW, off tank can cover the backliners. Now, in the OW2 showcases, flankers can kill them for free. It’s just a competition of whose support can survive longer.

1. Tank linkage that we get used to.

I mean this is okay to be removed if there’s something exchanged on the table. If they want to transit this game from team-oriented to self-oriented, there’s sth else needed for tanks to shine. Right now, no one can shine except damage heroes.

6 Likes

Sombra and Mei still have utility. Sombra only does more damage for herself, no one else. She also reveals the enemy to her team, she can still interrupt abilities for a second, and is still mostly centered around that utility. Mei is also still going to be using her walls and her primary to slow targets down and isolate them.

We know nothing about Doomfist yet, though.

This I can agree with. If they are going to be beefier DPS, I don’t know if I will enjoy it. But I have a feeling they will change to give them some DPS but also vary distinctive utility.

I cannot disagree with this one, either. They will need to dial back flankers like Tracer, otherwise we are absolutely going to have Tracer as a permanent meta-hero and we will never be free from it.

I think in the current iteration, from what we last saw, this is true. I am hopeful that they’re going to move away from this. It seems like their attention was on DPS heroes at first primarily to showcase a few, now they are moving to supports and might show us some tank changes soon.

1 Like

If their best expected scenario for 5v5 is “Everyone brawls and can single handedly carry while 1 of them tank a bit and 2 of them heal a bit.” I am not sure if this game is still attractive to me at that point…

1 Like

That would be bad. I’m hopeful it moves away from that, because it just…seems so obviously bad that they could not even deny it. And they’ve iterated multiple times that what we have seen so far is VERY HIGHLY subject to change and will likely not be close to what the final product is.

We had hopes on that. But with the time they have spent AND the remaining time they have… better don’t take those PR wordings too seriously.

Given that even OWL players are on the same page that these are bad changes, I think they’re still going to make a lot of changes. Their revenue-makers are unhappy with it. That is bad lol

I believe your mentioned revenue-makers are the one pushing them to launch a unfinshed game.

I haven’t seen them ask to launch it. I’ve seen a lot of clips/videos of pro players like…actively sharing their skepticism and concern (one of them flat-out ranting about how bad the game is right now).

fr I really really really really don’t understand the changed at all.

It’s not going to be attractive to a lot of people. I mean in desperation they let the wrong people tell them how Overwatch should be. They will pay a steep price for it in time.

1 Like

This is literal best case scenario. The less CC, the more fun everyone can have. CC isn’t creative in the slightest.

Also best case scenario. The more time that goes by, the more important Shields have become. Tanks don’t appreciate having half of their roster be considered less optimal or even throwpicks, and Dps don’t like to play against Shields 24/7… some people like to interact with eachother… not inanimate objects.

Theres literally no way that combat healing debuff will go through, and no, supports aren’t going to be “free kills”… they never have been and they never will be.

Not really sure what you mean here… but, your last point -

I’m a Support only player pretty much, and I don’t agree with this whatsoever. I think yall are just used to Dps not having any impact. In all the OW2 gameplay weve been shown, the Tanks and Supports had constant moments and constant impact. Bap regularly killed two almost every fight, Dva got solo kills regularly, Ana had constant impact, etc etc…

I really only play Support and I wish OW2 would come out already, because even with it being a rough alpha/beta… I’d easily choose to play it over current OW1.

I don’t understand why they had to go 5v5. they are ruining healthy CC design and identities, making supports easier prey for pesky flankers, tank synergy… all this does is turning the game blander which sucks when they could release it as a separate game

1 Like

This seems true on paper, but let’s see reality pervert this notions.

Less CC = less punishments for mindless Zerg Rush comps.
Let’s say you’re Zarya with 2 supports + 2dps whether playing from ranged or near their team.

What’s to stop a Winston + Mei + Lucio + Zen + Flex Dps from Zerg rushing Zarya and any teammates near her?

Winston + Mei will deal 150 dps together with focus fire that pierces with their beams. 2 self bubbles will buy her 2.66 seconds, 400 hp will only last for 2.66 seconds also. That is just from Winston + Mei. Now factor in discord + Zen and Lucio who will have an easy time landing headshots since Mei has slow CC that Zarya will at least be self-cleasing twice before it gets reapplied.

Mei has wall and Winston has barrier, that counters ranged DPS for a good chunk of time.
Mei can bring up a wall blocking Support LOS for a brief enough time to delete the Tank with the rush.

If we currently tried This sort of brainless rush comp on retail with OW2 Mei, DVa and Winston: The 2 opposing tanks + healers would peel off this brainless assault, + some hard CC to further decrease the odds of such a brutish strategy succeeding.

Also having hard CC also balances the fun playstyle of having hyper-mobile lethal heroes. If the devs would care about balancing, we would see mobile-centric dps heroes such as Tracer and Genji get their kit watered down and playstyle less fun.

And don’t think nerfing mobility is off the table either, it’s a part of their balancing process for OW2:

With former referring to Doom + Ball using their mobility to inflict CC. He’s saying a different process for evaluating mobility is used for heroes with no CC.

Hard CC is powerful, and it lets non-CC heroes to be just as powerful.