Voice Chat Error [-1002]

“You have been removed from voice chat. If the problem persists, please check your audio devices and your networking setup.”

I have not changed anything on my PC. I logged in yesterday and the problem presented itself after starting the client. I cannot hear anyone or speak in Voice Chat because it is disabled from the [-1002] error.

Under Options → Sound → Voice Chat, if I hover my mouse over the Voice Chat Devices, they alternate constantly between “No Device,” “Default System Device,” and “Speakers (Focusrite USB Audio).” So it would appear the game is having an issue with the Voice Chat Devices. I noticed some others on the Bug Forum reporting the same problem; somebody even posted a Youtube video demonstrating the problem I just described.

4 Likes

Please go through these steps if you have not already:

Hi WyomingMyst, I ran through the troubleshooting steps just now & nothing has changed. Still getting the same -1002 error message every time I open the program. I am not experiencing voice problems in any other games or software.

3 Likes

I am the exact same boat as you. It says that the patch from about almost a month ago was to fix the voice chat glitch but it still has not on my PS4.

Same problem.

Due to bad internet in my area, I have to use my cell phone as a hotspot. The problem exists then. If I use my regular internet, then voice chat works, but the lag makes the game unplayable.

I am having the exact same problem. Nothing is fixing it. PC

Update: My voice is fixed!

So, you were onto something with the Hotspot. I’ve been using my Hotspot as well due to a similar problem. My local internet (in the boondocks) has been down for weeks. My ISP fixed the internet today & I switched back to my landline internet. My voice chat now works again. So for me, the game took issue with my T-Mobile hotspot here in Washington state.

To everyone else: Try digging deeper into your ISP, internet settings, VPN’s, etc.

To Tech Support: My Hotspot normally works with voice chat-- I have been using it on and off for years with Overwatch without issue. Only recently did Overwatch start taking issue with the Hotspot-- so I believe the recent patch is the cause.

Hi ! I have the same issue, same error name, I’m forced to use a Hotspot to have internet at home, and, it’s really annoying to not be able to join voice chat, does someone have any other solutions that could work with my Hotspot ? It used to work before some updates ago. If Blizzard could do something about it, that would be awesome, but I don’t count too much on it.