Venture and tanking

I play tank, i rarely enjoy the experience, but i like the concept and the characters.

Venture is just a better tank than most tanks.

Venture can engage and disengage so freely you look on with envy.

You are glued behind a wall scared to peek out and have both supports hard pocketing you when you take damage, but venture goes out there completely immune and kills 3

Next thing that happens the enemy venture spots you as the next target on their rampage and you are scared for your life. You try to fly away as dva and they will use drill to push and boop you back like boosters are nothing.

You go back to spawn room and the word defeat flashes red on the screen

It is still relatively early, but the Venture I played with and against have convinced me they are an F tier hero.

venture is a glass canon with 250 hp and therefor not a tank. venture also doesnt have any hard cc ability, armor or shields.

it is beyond me how somebody can declare a hero a tank that lacks any of those things.

mei is probably a better tank than venture (not saying mei is a tank either)

1 Like

Im guessing you havenā€™t seen the hero description or read what the abilities do

nah, better: i have read the abilities, tried the hero out in the practice range, i have played the hero in quick play (multiple rounds) and i have played alongside the hero and against them.

they. are. not. a. tank. not even metaphorically. they are a close range dive/rush dps that has a fast burst combo but can also explode very fast if youre playing even a tad too open or use your abilites too freely. the cooldowns on both burrow and dash are relatively long (both close to 10 seconds)

2 Likes

i am starting to see ok ventures but i think when thats the case its more of a team diff lol. still i had one headhunt me as widow and yea it can be terrifying if you dont see the flank. also your team seems to ignore them and their widow teammate as well so yea you gotta hit that shotā€¦ i missed

I assume they just meant that Venture does indeed have CC and shield health whereas you were talking about stuns or barriers.

Then you should know the venture player can boop you up, push you around, and every time they use an ability they get temp shields

Youre either baiting or being extremely dense

yes they have cc but only soft cc (knockup, not stun). but they lack any of the qualities a tank in ow1 and ow2 have. they have no ability to tank actual damage. the shield they get for using the ability is pretty minor (like 25 or 50, kinda like old doom), the hp pool is in the squishy category and they lack any ability to effectively take space for their teammates or close to as effective to the tank on their team.

1 Like

i am not baiting. i am seriously doubting your ability to judge a hero youve apparently not even played.

Venture plays a lot like Reaper, is he a tank? He has 300 HP, lifesteal, can teleport into the enemy team and wraith out.

2 Likes

He did technically teach me how to tankā€¦

1 Like

Rarely enjoys tank but plays it all the same. You lost credibility in the first sentence bruh

1 Like

op just do me a favor. play some venture then return to the forums and admit what a giant goofball youve been.

watching your fellow dps players play venture and taking that as "venture is a better tank than most tanks is laughable.

i could take that sentence: ā€œVenture can engage and disengage so freely you look on with envy.ā€ and loosely apply it to any dps that has movement abilities.

like: genji, tracer, sombra, soldier, echo and so on and so forth.

why is that? because you have no idea what you are actually talking about. a tank isnt defined by ā€œfreely engaging and disengagingā€. a tanks job is to create space. in order for that a tank has to give the enemy reason to shoot em, take long to deal with them, draw more of their cooldowns than they draw from them. sometimes a tanks job is dying so their team can play the game. can venture do that? nope. venture has to use the available space to get a pick or 2. bc if venture doesnt respect the enemies space in a way a tank can do temporarely, they are instantly dead.

Theyā€™re not.

Not anymore so than any other flanker like Reaper or Mei.

Seems like there might be some bugs with the ultimate and Burrow. Sometimes you can hear it, other times you canā€™t.

Venture isnā€™t a glass cannon anymore than Reaper or Mei arenā€™t glass cannons.

With that said, Venture does have a bit more burst than they do, and is probably making up for the lack of CQC burst since Doomfist went tank.

Ehhh, not really. Thereā€™s longer cooldowns on other more mobile flankers, Tracerā€™s Blink charges come up to 9 seconds and Recall is over 10 seconds. Reaperā€™s own Shadowstep and Wraith are in the 9 second range too.

Venture can be very aggressive with capturing space, and generally has a very brawly style of gameplay that can be similar to Queen or Doomfist. Theyā€™re a lot more fragile and donā€™t really have the kind of sustainability that the Tanks do (and thatā€™s obvious), but they definitely have the kind of bulk that Reaper and Mei share, even if itā€™s not asā€¦ sustaining/durable as the above mentioned.

Yeah ok that was also the case for overwatch one doomfist and nobody in their right mind would call him a tank.

Ventureā€™s real ability seems to be turning healers into dps only. Just had 3 games with healers completely not healing or favoring dps far and above heals. It would be one thing if they were getting kills but nope.

As for venture, the ult is maybe too annoying but it just is going to take time to figure out when to back up and interrupt them when they pop out of their mole hole.

A tank has 2 important qualities that make a hero a tank:

• The ability to take and command space. With tools that segment space, or make someone backup and leave an area.
  • The ability to agro enemies to focus them and ignore everything else.

Some heroes have one of these, but not both, which means they are not a tank. Just because they arenā€™t in the tank role doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t do tank-like things to help out.

Playing several hours as and against Venture, I have to say for the moment they satisfy both.

This has to do with the hero design, their abilities and play-style. It has zero to do with their current health pool as that can easily be changed. You can do a quick test right now in workshop by giving Venture more health and see if they play well as a tank.

What I have observed is Venture does a very good job at agroā€™ing opponents, especially healers, with the tunneling visuals and the threat of bursting up at a healer. You can literally do nothing to a Venture while they are underground, but the threat is perceived. Two of Ventureā€™s abilities have a knock-back effect, bursting out of the ground and the right-click drill. Ventureā€™s ultimate is also a crowd control ability. ā€“ Even without the added tank-role health pool, Venture can tank damage just by going underground just like a Zarya bubble. (People wonā€™t shoot a bubble, but they sometimes do, just like someone will sometimes shoot at the tunneling Venture).

I would say Venture is as much of a tank as the old Doomfist was, just more fun to play with/against than old Doom was. I would also argue that Meiā€™s kit also lends her to be a tank as well, but the reason they kept Mei as a DPS is because cryo freeze was too strong and unfun to play against, which she would have kept as a tank. So they kept the DPS route and made it a slow instead.

Now where things might change is that with time players adapt. Ventureā€™s current ā€œtankingā€ ability could be less useful than it is now. Venture is too new to say for sure. Although I can say some of the current tanks in the roster are terrible solo tanks. I feel like Wrecking Ball is a perfect example and has very similar analog to Ventureā€™s play style, just at a different tempo.

To add onto this, venture is not a tank. Def a dive dps like tracer with some ability to get in and out of fights quickly and make really good burst kills. Their ult is ā€œok?ā€ i see it on the tier of a mccree itā€™s good with another ult added onto it from a support like ana or kiriko. but using it on itā€™s own it has to be used smart to get value really at all.

he needes a BIG nerf on all abilities.
There is no way to get away fom him and he pretty much 1 shots u. His weapon has AOE blast with no reduction at range.
He does eat a ton of damage, hard to kill alone.
He is better than most tanks at this pt.