Used Overwatch as an ESL lesson plan. Almost got fired

Short version: used OW as a lesson plan, boss didn’t like it. Almost got fired. Boss acted like he had no prior knowledge but I proved him wrong with screen shots from whatsapp. He didn’t like that.

Long version as follows:

Hello world, My name is Aaron, an ESL teacher and I almost lost my job because I used Overwatch as my material source.

The title may seem simple but the story is not. Let me explain

I am an ESL teacher here in Spain, I have been here for almost 12 years and I love teaching. There is nothing better than seeing a student’s face when something clicks into place.

I’m a big advocate of finding different ways to educate my students. Sometimes as a teacher you need to think outside of the box. The box is often rote and students get bored of the same old lesson plans “open book to page 25 and read the exercise and then answer the questions” is a common example of this. I’m sure we all remember those days yeah?

I have been using games as a way to keep my ESL kids interested in learning more English for at least 5 years. Keep in mind the events discussed here pertain to kids between the age of 11 and 16 on average. And in this specific situation, it was with 5th and 6th graders.

At my current academy of employment, I have used games for the past 3 years. I’ve used simple flash games to video games such as WOW, Fortnite, Overwatch and others. I use them mostly to teach vocabulary, verbs and adjectives. It is always done in a simple way. For example with wow I just go outside the gates of Org or SW and go over simple verbs such as CLICK, JUMP, USE, MOUNT/RIDE on a character that I let the class pick. It could be one of my own or one that they design from the character creation screen. The creation option of WOW is great because you can select different options that help build vocabulary. This is a fantastic way to help them learn and put into practice the adjectives they are learning.

And now the problem of the story.

I prepared a lesson using Overwatch as the content, the same as I did with Fortnite for another group. The lesson plan was accompanied by some papers that I handed out which you can find in the links below. It was to simply go over adjectives explaining the characters of the game. A VERY SIMPLIFIED exercise. We would go to the hero gallery, have them vote on which hero they wanted to learn about and they would describe what they would see. They voted for 3 heroes more than any others. The tree were Hammond, Mercy, and Sombra. They loved how there was a hamster hero. They liked Mercy because she looks like an Angel and of course Sombra because she speaks Spanish just like them.

The first was held on Tuesday, December the 4th. It was only in the last 15 minutes or so of the session when the actual game was actually “played” for lack of a better word. It was set up for something they would deserve if they were good for that day and I knew they would because this is normally a good bunch. Sure, there are a few riff-raffs in it but still good.

I had some handouts with some heroes (in the links below) to talk about their roles in the game. We have these fantastic interactive whiteboards so the game was being shown on it. Once again we went to the hero gallery to look at the 3 characters and the students would describe what they see. After talking about them by expressing their knowledge of adjectives I went to the training ground using Hammond. For those of you who don’t know, Hammond in a Hamster who rolls around in a big metal ball. During the training ground, we were going over verbs. Run, Jump, Roll, Swing, hook and some others. Once again everything is very simplified for them.

The class ended and they liked it a lot.

FAST FORWARD 2 MONTHS LATER, YES…2 MONTHS LATER.

Well, two months and 2 days later to be exact.

There were about 6-8 minutes left and they finished all their work and were behaving well. One of the girls asked “can we please look at Overwatch again?” so I said why not and loaded it up. Asked who they wanted to see and they all said Hammond again. So I once again entered the training stage. Quickly went over the verbs again to see what they remember and they did ok. Once again it was 2 months later.

Later that night when I finished shortly after 9:30 pm my boss asked me to come to his office. He is the kind of boss that you never really see or hear from unless something has gone wrong. (some of us know how that is yeah?) I knew whatever he needed to talk about was negative.

He showed me an email he received from a father of one of the children in the class. He seemed to be totally outraged that a video game was used. I got a brief look at the email. The father pretty much said “WHY WOULD THE TEACHER PLAY A GAME IN CLASS?” or something of that sort.

My boss was under the impression that I just played a game for the sake of playing a game. I told him that is absolutely not the case. I then explained about the use from today and the from 2 months before. He told me that he wanted a copy of anything that I had on paper on his desk right away. We finished talking around 10:15 pm or so.

The next day was Wednesday, my biggest and busiest day of the week. I always stay up to prepare material for it. So I decided to kill two birds with one stone and prepare my sessions for the next day as well as printing the documents he wanted.

I printed all the material I had. It consisted of 2 documents about verb tenses and vocabulary using Fortnite. I also printed out 2 pages with Overwatch material that I had saved. Now with Overwatch, the teaching based material is not as rampant as Fortnite. I had to go back and find the web page with Clipart that I used to simply show them something. That’s material that I simply used on the interactive whiteboard but never printed out. That is why we have the thing to begin with yeah? To save paper and time and other things.

So I went ahead and printed all the aforementioned documents out, stapled them and put him on his desk. Also as I said before I went ahead and planned my stuff for the following day and printed that material out.

So the next day I get a message from the boss asking me to email him the document I printed out last night. The document I printed was a collection of all my documents thrown into a document. I did this because it is easier for him to read. He sent me a message later saying that the document I sent was not created back in December. Of course not, I didn’t want to send him my raw documents full of clip art and photos that took up a whole page. I simply made them smaller/crop/cut/paste into a new one. THAT WAS MY MISTAKE.

He blew up! Saying that it was all fake and lies simply because the date was not from December. I sent him the original files from December but that was not enough for him. Despite the time stamps on the creation date, all he could say was “it doesn’t matter anymore” and told me that he was going to investigate and talk to me later”

Now what he meant by “investigate” was to talk to my class and ask them about the papers from 2 months ago. I told him that if you find a 5th or 6th grader that still has a piece of academy work in their folder after 2 months I will find him the fountain of youth. He didn’t like that very much.

One would think that he wanted the printed documents to present to the angered father yes? To justify and represent the lesson plan, to show that it was not a case of just playing a game on a whim. Well, that wasn’t enough for the boss. He wanted to dig even deeper for what I would assume would be his own personal interest. The case with the angry father should stop at the documents delivered to his hand yeah? Look, I get it that he is trying to protect his business and reputation. I really do, but he was taking this a little too far. He already has the documents to justify the situation to begin with.

So he talked to my students, without me there of course. He calls me to his office that night and tells me that they don’t have any of the documents. He then proceeds to say that I was lying about them and that I made them up. I of course took offense and told him “that the lack of evidence is not proof” and just because they don’t have it doesn’t mean I didn’t give it to him. He didn’t like that very much.

We talked for about ½ an hour. I guess you can say it was more of a debate than an argument. In the end, he made me sign a document saying that I was to never use a video game again as subject matter.

I wrote a 3-page document and gave it to him. It explained everything, my lesson plan, his prior knowledge of using games in the class (via screen shots from whatsapp), and of course my defense. I don’t like being called a liar. All of these things I have proof of and showed him in a document. He looked at it, didn’t say a damn thing and made me sign that paper about not doing it again.

Sigh, sorry for the long read. It is my nature as it is part of my job to do such.

I think Blizzard makes fantastic products and I have used them to teach ESL students for years. They are constructed in such a way that they captivate people and make them eager to learn English. It saddens me that people don’t want to open their eyes and minds to acknowledge this.

I have all the documentation but blizz will not allow me to post the link. So if you want the google documents link just ask me in a pm if you with to know more.

Thank you so very much for reading.

-Aaron

110 Likes

Anybody ever tell you that you’re a really good teacher?

No, seriously. You found a way to reach your students in a fun and interactive way where they could learn and have a good time doing so.

You definitely did not deserve to be treated the way you have been. Perhaps you could invite the parents of the children to your class and demonstrate to them how you use video games to teach? Have your boss come in and watch?

Teachers deserve better.

71 Likes

I’m from an education background and I knew what the problem was going to be the moment you said the age range.

It isn’t so much about the video games aspect, it likely has more to do with the student’s age and the ESRB. For the age range, you showed them a Teen rated game to a crowed that is more or less still the elementary school age range. While it’s safe to assume that all the students in the class have played a teen rated game (at the very least), it’s also safe to assume there is always going to be one or two students that have a really strict background that is “Absolutely NOT!” That’s what you ran into.

I’m willing to bet you also ran into something that was listed as a no in the code of conduct book as well for the school. Even if the intention was good, it still hits that problem.

The best and most common example I can think of is in High School, you can only play Rated R films if the entire group consists of Senior students and they have a parent’s signature.

TL;DR: The real issue that seems to have gotten you was you didn’t propose the idea or get consent from parents to do it.

Above all, It’s okay to use video games as examples, let students write about them, or to draw connections. That is the most effective form of teaching. However, for anything new and inventive, you absolutely have to get the green light to do it.

5 Likes

If i was using video games as a tool. I would 100% tell my boss first.

You had to of known kids explaining what they did to their parents could be taken out of context by the parents. As soon a I started reading I was like at some point a parent called the Principle to complain about “playing” video games in class

8 Likes

I can’t believe I read that entire police report (he had timestamps for when conversations ended). I guess you could just show pre-recorded videos without actually booting up any games but your boss sounds like he would hate that loophole.

This. I’ve heard of cases like this in the past and the teachers always say they wish they had told the principal first. OP was actually lucky to not get fired.

6 Likes

My favorite teachers were always those who showed us how to use the language in practical ways. While I still learn from “the book” teachers, I never learned more from them than the textbook outlined. Good on you.

10 Likes

Hey man,

Great to hear from a fellow educator.
Here in Spain OW is rated PEGI 12. My class is full or children that same age. So no matter what the boss can not thrust that upon me. Also nothing in any kind of COC violation. I guess it didn’t exist before such a thing. I understand simply that perhaps this upset father just does not know anything about it and does not want to know anything about it because it will not fit his agenda. Ignoring the statistical facts gives him some sort of agency over the event. I told my boss it is a big misunderstanding but he as well has no idea about the content used even after showing him. I showed him a txt message from 2 months before talking about using Fortnite in class and he gave it a big Thumbs up. Then he later denies knowing about using these games in class. He didn’t like the fact that I had him by the balls.

9 Likes

i think you are a great teacher

the best teachers are the one that can take a fun concept and turn it into a learning experience

i think the issue came from the age of the kids and that you had failed to inform your boss before you used video games to teach kids, if the kids were maybe like 15+ and you told your boss you probably could have avoided alot of trouble.

I get it.

One of my huge projects was I was using RPG Maker to adopt To Kill a Mockingbird as an interactive study tool for the students as a tool to use along side the reading to enhance understanding of themes and such.

Boss gave a hard no simple for, “It was video games.” And followed to give me a huge list of things that I would need to do first to get it approved. Part of it was the narrow thought of, “because it’s a video game” the other part was (reasonably) liability.

I work at an academy, they are not obligated to run the same filter as a normal state owned school. It is funny how one fuddy duddy parent can ruin something that works not only for the rest of one class, but many others simply because they are myopic. Even after presented with clear evidence to the contrary of their issue they still just ignore it. It is even funnier that a boss will not stand by his teachers nor give them the chance to defend themselves properly even when they can.

4 Likes

Yeah, but that is why you have to protect yourself from that one parent who wants thing to be done old school.

If you are doing something that could be taken the wrong way tell you boss first to protect yourself if your boss approves when that parent calls in he is ready with the right answers because he knows what you were doing, instead of being caught of guard by the parent and have no idea what is going on

Like what if your boss walked in while you playing Overwatch sounded by kids with no lesson plan for it. That is probably not going to go down well, either by the sounds of it.

You got to think of the worst case, just in case

2 Likes

you did a great job and honestly its just your bosses fault for being egotistical. People are starting to see that if you can incorporate interest into a lesson by the connection of common ground from hobby to education then it becomes much easier to teach someone.

You are an excellent teacher and im sorry you have a horrid boss who cannot except that you have had great success in using material that is not of the standard most people use.

5 Likes

Teaching by gaming? Introducing kids to something that might develop into a compulsive behavior into adulthood? Sounds irresponsible.

While I don’t believe in “gaming addiction” there is something truth to gaming having a compulsive component , there are many adults who are “addicted” to games, lets be honest here.

3 Likes

I am french and I learned English thanks to the internet, a lot of English teacher just only know the “learn by heart” which is totally stupid.

Tell your “boss” that you’re a part of the new generation of teachers. Because I don’t think that he can do better than you.

2 Likes

There is no PM system here.

Your story is unfortunate, and while it is a creative way to teach, it should have occurred to you that parents may not be ok with this approach, or even understand it.

You should have kept high visibility with both your boss and the parents BEFORE you even started. Keeping them informed, does not ruin the surprise factor for the children.

Growing up my parents did not approve of video games, and looking back, if I played as much as some of my other friends or kids today, I may not have done as well in school. I didn’t like it then, but I am thankful for their approach now.

1 Like

School make kid be compulsive. When learning should be an interactive and fun experience, school make it exhausting, industrial and stupid.

5 Likes

You shouldn’t have signed the document. that was a way of him controlling you.

In the legal system by all rights, he had no grounds to fire you. If he did, you could have sued for discrimination (discrimination against you for using a different style of teaching) had him fired, and gotten a huge settlement.

Media has been a source material for teaching for as long as it has existed, with people using movies before to teach, and your way of teaching with OW.

The document, unless stamped and approved by a courthouse with witnesses is also not legally binding. (or so I believe id have to read up on those laws)

You were bullied into a corner and pushed with fear of your boss, but you really had the ball in your court the entire time.

As a lesson you should really never sign documents without thorough reading, and possible consulting someone.

You really did just get strong armed here and I hate seeing that.

8 Likes

Geez you want a medal or something? Are you even a real teacher? I mean come on, what teacher would write such an essay on the OW forums about something so trivial.

1 Like

Unfortunate, but it’s just not going to be an easy task to convince someone who’s dedicated to the old ways and considers games as hobby and waste of time and sees no connection between games and the possibility of people learning something. Specially when they are the ones with the higher power.

As for my personal experience, an old game back in the days helped me to increase my typing speed to a very fast one. And an old card game which was written in German, helped me further learn German all on my own without attending any classes or academic studies whatsoever.

So for me, It’s definitely doable.

1 Like

I’m sorry I laughed. I am a bit embarrassed.