Uphill battle : always easy, favored, super difficult

Anyone noticed that uphill battles the match was very very easy. And when “favored”, it is a super difficult match ?
The matchmaking has no idea what it think it knows, and probably lots of players abusing min-maxing with smurf/deranker accounts… this is unreal

7 Likes

Yes. I think they accidentally inverted the modifiers or something. I don’t know enough about this than to simply weigh in with that thought though.

Uphill battle matches have the most brain dead players on the enemy team and it’s usually my team completely rolling the enemy team.

Favored matches are usually the super fun games where everyone seems to know what they’re doing. They’re challenging, yet enjoyable.

It truly is bizarre, but I’m not entirely sure what the cause of it is. Perhaps it’s just a visual glitch? Don’t know.

4 Likes

Balanced matches where 20 SR was won or lost are all stomps in my experience. Most uphill battle modifiers seem accurate as we win by a hair. Games where I’m “favored” are usually wins but I do get the odd one out here and there where we lose against a formidable enemy team.

My guess is this is the result of a mix of factors…one is smurf accounts used for trolling players or boosting them for money. Another reason is likely that some players purposely make a wide group to min-max and gain an advantage by forcing the matchmaker to form a similar configuration for the enemy team…except that the “min” in the group are actually “max” players that are there to tilt the balance using a lower rated account. It could also be that many people are now griefing the game (Chinese players are often using VPNs to grief on EU and NA players). And so on…

Also: the matchmaker prioritizes queue times so much that it often creates unbalanced teams that sort of average out within 1000 SR of each other…except when it decides that masters and silver and plat in the same lobby is a great idea. Buuuuut…now that the ranks are squished you get even wider skill disparities because there are plenty of GM/Top500 players still stuck in Masters/Diamond and even high Plat. Whoever though about doing the “soft reset” instead of a true commitment to a hard reset was a genius, we just can’t understand them. (sarcasm)

2 Likes

actually if to think - most of my 20 games are stomps

This isn’t surprising at all. The matchmaker thinks “favored” yet the match is extremely difficult, uphill battle and it’s easy, just as for years on end the matchmaker thinks it’s giving fair matches when you actually have around 25% chance of winning at times.

I’ve had daydreams of someone hyper intelligent getting hired, looking through the code for a few days and saying “you know you’ve got a huge issue here” and they explain what is ACTUALLY going on, and then the devs realize what everyone was telling them for years was correct. The issue gets resolved and OW is one of the best games.

Unfortunately we are in the exact same spot as we were six years ago and to be honest I believe the general populations IQ’s are plummeting so it’s just going to get worse.

2 Likes