Unwinnable matches are unwinnable by design

np also i forgot to reply to you:
The data is the levels of the teams, the hours it was played. Very iffy matchmaking that sacrifices match quality for noob queue times. Makes me feel used by the system rather than benefiting.

1 Like

What? :rofl:

You cant be serious, game should not be winnable? What do you want then, to have every game result as draw?

You cant win every game either to not have unwinnable matches. Matchmaker is not some kind of super Being with psychic power who can see future. Matchmaker doest and cant know that player Joe will tilt player Mike so he starts throwing and create unwinnable match…for example.

I have actualy both, since tha data i am collecting are linked to all these games i was streaming. Its not collected info i wrote down but its possible to collect as information from the streams. I just didnt waste time to do it as time when games were played dont really interest me :slight_smile:

I usualy check low levels players and i am trying to guess if they are new or smurfs.

Your logic is perplexing, seriously. How do you arrive at these strawmans?

No, logically there should be no criteria on the “winnability” of a match. That’s the definition of fairness.

In no competitive scene anywhere else in existence of games and sports are the odds of winning directly imposed on the competition itself. I challenge you to name any other competitive sport that does what Overwatch does. It’s ludicrous.

And yet, that’s exactly what it tries to do.
It tries to see the future and predict that each player has 50% chance to win.

It should not do that. But it does.

3 Likes

You are mixing things. Make up your mind please. You talked about winrate before, now you talk about win chance.

100% projection my friend.

I’m stating things clearly and concisely with very direct logic. It is you who is twisting things to suit… whatever agenda you’re trying to say I have.

I’ve never talked about winrate. Don’t put words in my mouth.

My point is and always has been about MMR and it rigging games based on chance.
That simple point requires no mental gymnastics or higher dimensional math to understand, or why it has no place in competitive sports & games.

2 Likes

Of course they are. Isn’t this obvious? Do you actually consider those naive players who say that there’s no unwinnable games and listen to their dumb opinions that are invalid and not based on anything else except them engaging in toxic positivity?

The fact that players like Yeatle can lose tank games in gold should be enough to see that this is true

6 Likes

What I’m doing btw is screenshotting the opening page of every match to see team SR and player levels and the last game had a sort of typical scenario unfolding:
My team avg SR2181: Supports level 1471 (me) and 2433, dps 1057 and 293, Tanks 1109 and 329
Enemy Team avg SR2176: Supports 770 and a placer 83, dps 340 and 114, tanks 468 and 527
Atleast the new player wasn’t a tank, but they still lost. Even though one of the enemy tank had a bleeding T500 icon…#levelsmatter #experiencewingames

Do they give t500 icons out for arcade modes or something?

2 Likes

Yes, all competitive modes will give the t500 icon providing you have enough games played, the required SR, and sms verification enabled. Some people with the t500 icon got it from CTF/Deathmatch/4v4 elimination and so on.

Will you be playing more games today?

I think it more about statistics.
As a support main and mainly Mercy, I feel that games where I´m not playing her feels much harder. Like the game expect me to play her when matchmaking.

But back on topic. If the topic creator really feels the need to hard carry some less experienced players he/she should try a fresh account if his/hers skill level are so much higher.
A bunch of people here have speculated that it is hard to leave your elo rating!

Depends on what your elo is vs dedication/play time and many other things.

Based on Elo porkypine has, i guess he has high chance to be placed higher in mid plat on new account if he will not have bad luck. Question is if he could keep it. I played with him yesterday. I can check the gameplay out of curiosity. I saw only little in ffa against him but it looks like aim is decent. Sometimes people can keep higher elo if they adapt fast and stop doing some mistakes. Its good to see higher elo and emulate it to own gameplay.

I for example did a test with mid gold player so he could play diamond game. It was just one match and player did well, actualy very well. What does that mean? Player can be higher, but to climb you have to stop doing classic mistakes for your rank and punish others for doing them. I dont think the player who tried it belongs to diamond, not yet, but he/she can be.

It was just one match too, which doesnt say a lot to be honest. If someone is in gold and will play 50 games in diamond or mid plat+, flaws in gameplay will start to be issue eventualy unless they will be fixed fast and if not, rank decline will very real.

1 Like

Games are won and lost by early ult economy. It becomes quite hard to make up an early lead - so yes, “unwinnable” matches are by design.

Games are won or lost by basicly anything :slight_smile:

You can easily lose first point just because someone was too long in bathroom and not defending on point.

Or hanzo has lucky kill on mercy, rein dies, mercy cant res…

I once lost match because i said “can you stop charging like crazy?” to our rein. He started throwing.

1 Like

This exact thing is why I stopped making those types of comment/requests of people, especially when playing on US servers. Those in the Americas have an especially negative reaction when told what to do, even if you’re just trying to help or just making a suggestion and trying to be nice about it.

2 Likes

Yeah, i honestly blame myself anyway, i didnt have to say it. Its the way how i said it. Its wasnt usual reaction tho. Usualy when i say something like that, people do no just throw lol.

Few days ago i had lucio who started throwing after i told him that he can switch support too to help with pharah after he was complaining about the dps not killing her.

1 Like

That’s precisely how Overwatch’s financial model works, among other things, and is chiefly what I’m arguing against. A person shouldn’t need a new account to force their rigged system to acknowledge their merits.

The problem actually becomes apparent for the very reason one would need to purchase a new account. And evidence shows many players who have switched accounts have seen overall improvements to their MMR placements. This should not be.

This. I’ve experienced similar things as well, such as when playing Zen but choosing Ana or Bap instead because it’s what I think would work best, when instead the teammates I’ve been given seem to have strengths that benefit my stronger plays as Zenyatta. I completely agree!

Sometimes it’s hard to know why you’re in a game, because the reason you’re paired specifically with others with certain strengths is unknown. Though, imho I don’t really think this should matter as everyone will have some bias towards one character and one particular playstyle. So I think it shouldn’t be a factor when creating matches.

Nonetheless I believe this applies to the current system. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Strictly speaking, all matches are winnable/losable. However they are also handicapped with Match Making Rating. More information:

2 Likes

I’ve not seen other posts of yours, but I agree with Porkypine here. It’s just not respectful to those new players to post a replay of their struggles for all to see.

I’m not even gonna touch the matchmaker argument. But we have to do better in this community at welcoming and helping new players. A long wait for OW2 makes this even more imperative.

1 Like

Well to be honest he said that he hard carried, thats not exactly description of “struggle” dont you think ? .)