Unpopular Opinion: PTR Lucio is AWESOME

Ah I see. Less useful at higher skills but easier for lower skilled players for general wall movement. However, the easier general wall movement will make it harder to kill him in a real game regardless. Not just racing from spawn to stall which if I understand correctly everyone hates.

I agree! Across all game modes lucio is my second most played hero. The changes feel good. I especially like the removal of boops ammo cost

1 Like

Now we need to increase his passive heals or amp duration

2 Likes

Not exactly. With his wall ride now heā€™s extremely predictable about where heā€™s going. So, as long as youā€™re someone that can predict shots, heā€™s much easier to actually take down.

I personally find the new wall-ride mechanics to be meh.

I donā€™t think itā€™s an unpopular opinion. I think itā€™s a mainstream opinion that the game should be designed around the highest level of play, but we all know the game wouldnā€™t be any fun if it was.

Lucio becoming easier to do cool things with also means youā€™re going to see him more frequently in way more gamesā€”and thus get more diversity.

1 Like

Except Lucio was never clunky, unless you were bad at him.

6 Likes

Maybe, I could imagine lower levels moving predictably in a circle. But it seems a mixed opinion, I was watching some GM players testing on streams and they had concerns about how hard it will be to kill him if theyā€™re wall-riding around the point.

For lesser skilled lucios sure. For higher skilled lucios, the same mechanics are still there. You can still jump from wall to wall. use boost from wall jumps etc. You can still vary you wall riding a lot . I don;t see it dumbing down higher tier lucio play that much

1 Like

For higher skilled Lucioā€™s heā€™s a alot slower when doing your wall rides and very inconsistent on being able to hop around. Just check out videos like that and youā€™ll see.

1 Like

I really like it as well. I would still like to see an area increase on amp it up.

1 Like

Yes. Me too. That or Amp it up last longer.

My main issue with Lucio is his healing is pretty bad. Its often times better to speed your Tanks to a large health pack instead of trying to heal them.

That feels pretty bad.

But Lucio is all about speed, so why is he getting slowed down? Losing wall skimming and edge jumping on top of lowering the jump off speed to 2.0 m/s ruins his ability to move around when skillfully maneuvered.

These changes have completely changed how wall riding works and have lowered the skill ceiling and heightened the skill floor. I mean, it took practice to start playing Lucio and jump around and learn to climb using a corner, but now itā€™s easy enough anyone can do it.

Maybe to a non-Lucio player this change feels less clunky, but to anyone with more than 50 hours on Lucio can feel how different this is. Corners are a joke now. I donā€™t have to even try to keep wall riding.

3 Likes

I think its a bad change because many of my routes evolved around speed and with the new change on his wall ride its much easier to predict i highly doubt when this goes live people like gmā€™s are gonna use this but in ranks lower than gold you will sky rocket

Its not easy mode, its just less clunky.

Itā€™s more clunky in PTR. ā€œNo Lucio, I donā€™t want to go around that fĆŗcking corner, I want to jump to that next building - ehh okay I guess weā€™re going this way now.ā€ Lucio just goes where he wants now, which is to say, not where I want to go. Constantly getting snagged on corners and curved surfaces is horrible.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have try yet what Iā€™m gonna say, but I think it will help :

Unable backward wallride.
Itā€™s was nice on live for climb easier. But with the ā€œcorner weird thingā€ I think itā€™s because of the backward who start when you turn the camera for jump.

Maybe itā€™s total BS what I said, but Iā€™m gonna try that tomorrow !

He certainly isnā€™t the only one with that mindset. Pretty much any good Lucio player thinks that way.

The new wallriding system is so easy, that really good players will be good at it sure, but not-so-good players will also be really good at it. I guarantee you, most high level Lucio players do not like this change because of the time they put into mastering the hero. By the way, you can do about the same amount of things with Lucio with this update that you could do before aside from a couple of things. You just had to be good before to do them.

I donā€™t think you know what people mean by skill ceiling. The nerfed speed off of walls is what people are talking about when they say the skill ceiling is being lowered, because good Lucios used that speed boost to do great things. The wallride buffs itself raise the skill floor. All of this together is putting the skill ceiling and skill floor too close

One is a bug, and the other isnā€™t. What was wrong with Lucio roll outs?

Damn right he still needs a buff, most of his kit has been nerfed over the years and also he has been nerfed directly and indirectly due to hero changes such as Sombras insane EMP ability that rips Lucio apart. He still needs love. This isnā€™t enough.

On top of that his speed has been nerfed tremendously over the years especially and that is no bueno. Not enough time into looking at what the HERO NEEDS. Speed made Lucio. He is barely faster now and can barely escape from his enemies due to the nerf on his leaps. They are unnecessary and no one asked for them.

1 Like