Unpopular Opinion: Forcing 2/2/2 is dumb

He is by no means terrible against a comp with a Zarya in it.
Please, if you don’t know a hero don’t try to explain how they work.

-I would like to see a good composition with no healers and tanks. Considering how popularity discrepancy when it comes to roles is the major problem in the game, that would be the most essential thing to bring up to yours “almost everything can work”. Because, all dps comps or at least 5-1 comps should work for that to actually help with the situation.

-People are narrow minded - or they simply don’t give a fck and there are no systems in place to make them give a fck?

-so, either people don’t know how to play the compositions/heroes or the enemy comp is countering your comp? Cool, so learn every hero? And then somehow, by magic, get willing teammates to form a working composition?

-your last sentence… everyone knows that. That’s precisely why the game has issues and why people are suggesting role queue. I don’t really know what you wanted to accomplish with that statement, because that right there, the “point of OW” has undeniably failed completely and utterly and it couldn’t have been different with contradictory design decisions in place.
A non-ideal video game is better than an inherently dysfunctional one.
“but this would ruin the spirit of the game” - what game? This functioning non-frustrating smooth multiplayer experience we are playing? That game?

As said before 2-2-2 is too restrictive. I’d be fine with 1-1-1 3 flex and a 3 max cap on any given role.

Hero bans are good.
But Hero bans are inappropriate for all but the top 5% of the playerbase

Then you should actually be pro 2/2/2 role queue.
Everyone can play their desired role EVERY game without completely breaking the team comp.

I think that hero bans in lower tiers would actually help to balance the game.
They could ban oppressive heroes like Bastion and Reaper until they reach a rank where people actually cooperate to take them down.

2 Likes

Which are historically the best niche counters to a tank meta. This is a terrible idea.

1 Like

I agree. I rather have a team that plays triple DPS with one tank and 2 healers, a triple tank comp, or if possible a triple dps or triple tank with a single healer.
Believing 2/2/2 wins the game it’s a misconception that you hear in bronze/silver.

About the heroes that needs a buff, it’s quite tricky: Pharah is an hero that needs aim (prediction mostly), but buffing her too much would mean more PharMercy comp; forget about Spamrat, we don’t need another hell like the period S6-S8; Doomfist needs something to be good but not too opressive IMO; Sym could get something (like a better tickrate for the primary fire)

And 2-2-2 comps won’t negate the toxicity and matchmaking problems in/around gold.

If you want 2-2-2 for lower elos, and hero ban in higher elos, then sure, but the 2 should never be used at the same time. (primarily because I want nothing to do with role que)

If you can’t get 3 people to agree to run a soloTank/soloHeal comp, then you wouldn’t be able to properly coordinate against an optimally run GOATs comp in the first place.

So that argument you got there doesn’t make any sense.

Optimal goats requires significantly more coordination than 3DPS, usually much more than most elos have. At most ranks 3DPS will roll goats unless you get lucky with two offtank mains.

Also, unpopular opinion: if you can’t get 3 people to agree you shouldn’t be on the same team.

You automatically have less toxicity with:

1. A Role Queue preventing the need to argue with each other for dibs on a Role.
  2. You could have a slacker DPS/Tank/Healer, but your other DPS/Tank/Healer could pick up their slack.
  3. A Flex role player could pick up the slack for two offtanks, or a DPS focused healer.
  4. Offtanks(including Mei) or a Zenyatta could pick up the slack on Damage.

And if all that fails
5. Vote to unlock roles
6. Do a Role Swap with a teammate.

1 Like

I know I’m nitpicking, but this is quite literally the argument people made when Hero limits were introduced. Just cause wacky comps might be fun to goof around with, doesn’t mean its good to balance around.

1 Like

Honestly idk if 2/2/2 is forced or it’s a wacky comp, I just wanna be done with freaking G.O.A.Ts and variations

In gold/plat 3 dps you never see GOATS outside of the odd 6 stack and it’s typically run pretty poorly. 3-4DPS vs a competent 2-2-2 mostly results in a stomp, your DPS won’t coordinate, they get picked off getting in position, they dive in on their own ETC ETC it’s just a feeding session and you end up wasting a lot of time. I don’t know where these highly coordinated teams of DPS are but I can’t even get people to GET IN VOICE now a days.nI very rarely get groups where 3 people will communicate with each other much less agree on anything…

I keep hearing about how 3-4 DPS comps are so great but with the levels of coordination in gold/plat I do not see it. I don’t tilt and throw either I try very hard not to waste my own time. But I as 1 person in a team of 6 cannot carry 3-4 feeding teammates.

2 Likes

Exactly. Forced 2/2/2 neuters creativity and it won’t fix the stale meta problem that GOATS represents.

It’s not unpopular. A lot of people hate the idea of forced comp.

What if instead of forced 2/2/2, they just made it so you can only have a max of 3 of one role?

2/2/2 is dumb
OW isnt that kind of game.
I like it because you can be creative.

GOATS is the players fault.
We can decide to pick other things too you know and be creative.

1 Like

Typically, 2/2/2 produces consistent and engaging matches then other forms. It helps foster natural team synergy that many do not want sacrificed. Overwatch tends to have strangers teaming up so unspoken elements that help produce synergies is important for an engaging victory.

For example: Playing as a solo Tank or Healer is typically oppressive for players which tends to increase the need for peeling and coordination. This can be why players find playing these roles alone unsuitable to gain a victory.

1 Like

I agree but in general, the system should compensate for flaws in each rank that one player has no control over. Team coordination is a flaw inherent to lower ranks as it stands right now. Giving these ranks a push in how to form and execute a coordinated composition would be a boon to lower ranks.