Tyrande Symmetra = Atlantic Mercy pallette swap?

Genji and Symmetra are getting WoW-themed blizzcon skins. Looking at Tyrande Symmetra, I got this feeling of deja vu…

It looks a lot like Mercy’s Atlantic All-Stars skin.

(Someone plz lend me their level 3 strength and post pics of Tyrande Symmetra and Atlantic Mercy together)

That could easily be fixed by adding more fabric to Mercy’s All-Star skin.

The costume looks like it originally had significantly more skin coverage. I can easily imagine Atlantic Mercy with leggings instead of knee-high socks, dainty puffy sleeves on her shoulders, and differently-textured fabric covering the “side windows” on her torso.

Atlantic Mercy’s costume is still very pretty as it is now, but it looks like someone arbitrarily cut it up for no reason other than fanservice.

I’ve kept silent on it up to this point, but now there’s a legit reason to add more fabric to Atlantic Mercy other than to please my own sense of costume design - making sure that it’s not a pallete-swapped duplicate of Symmetra’s Blizzcon skin.

2 Likes

symmetra looks better POINT BLANK PERIODT

4 Likes

Tyrande doesn’t even show skin on the sides afaik anw lol.

She does,

It’s just less noticable because it’s purple.

2 Likes

Add Widowmaker, for team grape juice.

1 Like

Tyrande doesnt show skin in WOW, I think McCree meant?

Why does the lack of fabric bother you so much? It’s still a very good skin and other heroes have worn significantly less (looking at you summer widow and ice skater sym)

1 Like

The outfit in her WoWpedia image doesn’t have side panels missing at least, i don’t remember her in game model

http s://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/3/37/Tyrande_Whisperwind.png/revision/latest?cb=20161128003254

I seem to recall Tyrande’s torso being mostly encased in some sort of metal filegree bodice?

Because the metalwork on her shoulders look like they’re meant to frame a sleeve, but there’s no sleeve.

Symmetra’s side windows look elegant because of the tapered cut, but Mercy’s are shaped in a way that looks chunky/blocky and looks more like it was meant to be a transition to a different fabric. Mesh, perhaps.

Knee-high socks + knee high boots can work with minishorts or a miniskirt, but look wierd with longer cuts of clothing like long skirts/dresses.

The “armored boots + bare thighs” is honestly the worst offender - I could live with the other descisions if Atlantic Mercy didn’t look like she legit forgot her leggings before leaving the house.

The transition from knee high, heavily armored boots straight to bare legs looks so out of place on a dainty character. That kind of costume design is for conveying “hey, this character is tough and armored, but they like to maintain a wide range of motion for their preferred up-close-and-personal fighting style”.

(I just now realized that I’ve been ranting… Sorry about that)

I’ve got no problem with a costume showing some skin - Winged Victory is my favorite skin of all time. It’s just that when I look at Atlantic Mercy, her costume falls into an uncanny valley of costume design. Is it supposed to be modest or saucy? Because it has design elements from both, and not in a way that compliments other. They clash.

1 Like

Very legitimate design concerns. Sadly I’m thinking you critiques have fallen on deaf ears. The most major change they’ve made to skin was with Winter hanzo 2 years ago.
:pensive:

(here is a fully body one for Atlantic)

Not a fan of the Sym skin ngl. But I do like the Mercy one. It does seem awfully similar…

1 Like

HOLY SWEET JESUS, I AM IN LOVE WITH TYRANDE SKIN FOR SYMMETRA!
My god, I have to buy it, no matter what!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :heart: :elf:

Sym looks like the colour blind settings pallet. Better yet, they used the same colours from sugar plum fairy, used atlantic all-star outfit and slapped em together. No way does it look better.

(sigh)

If only they offered the same to Mercy. The only other Mercy skin I have any issues with is her sugar plum fairy skin.

I know that the sugar plum fairy has “golden wings” in canon, but on Mercy it clashes horribly with the color palette of the rest of the skin.

I also wish that Sugar Plum Mercy had “hip petals” to complete the circuit of flower petals around her hips and form a ballerina’s tutu. Her costume looks oddly front-heavy without them.

They have the same style but they don’t look alike. Both skins (also Genji’s) have this “elvish” theme (ornaments, gems, glowes, etc) that’s why you feel like that, but IMO they are different and they are both gorgeous. SymMercy will look awesome with both skins since they match each other!! :slight_smile:

Yeah <3
Post must be at least 20 characters

Is this like when people were saying Brigitte has Mercy’s face?
Because I don’t understand this either.

I feel like we’re uncovering a hidden conspiracy theory that everything in Overwatch was stolen from Mercy…

Symmetra… my wig flew off.

luckily the HotS cosmetics are good too so I can justify treating myself to the virtual ticket. Tyrande’s like my second most played hero in HotS and I like her character even though I bleed horde.

1 Like