Triple Damage Experiment Finished

NOOOO I wanted to play it more :((((((((((

6 Likes

This game mode was very fun to try! Do I actually want it implanted? HELL TO THE NO. But it was enjoyable to try the goofy new abilities. Look forward to Future cards.

8 Likes

This was actually my fav game mode… i just logged in specifically play it again and it wasnt there =( then i read here you removed it. since role q, ive been relegated to playing just healer/tank roles, this allowed me to play all 3 again and i had a blast, the main suggestion i’d have for it is to unnerf sigmas ult in it seeing hes a solo tank and already goes in great danger rising in the air to use it, at a bare min when he dies it should still go off… also hammond could use a buff. please consider bringing this mode back even if it is just arcade, but i’d prefer to see qp/comp transition to this mode. keep in mind playing in it will require people to learn how to properly play the game, aka stay closer to tanks etc to be successful, so as a tank player it felt good having peep stay together once they figuredd that out.

13 Likes

Thank you for the experiment :grin:
Can’t wait for the next one!

3 Likes

For the next experimental card I would like to see certain Damage characters moved to the other roles:
For instance Mei -> Tank, Doomfist -> Tank, Symmetra ->Support, and Sombra -> Support.
The reason for this is that people constantly complain that damage category is bloated and this is a time where not a lot of new heroes are being released. These characters can fit comfortably in other roles without much changing. For instance, Mei needs practically no changes, she has the best barrier in the game which may change with the upcoming ice wall nerfs. Doomfist has the sustain and cc of a tank and will probably get a nerf to his damage which support players will love. Symmetra has a lot of utility and the only change needed is having her turrets heal allies, call them repair turrets. Sombra is the least likely I think, she’s more like Zenyatta where her support comes from de-buffing the enemy.
I would appreciate it if we see an experimental card that has characters in different roles in the future.

8 Likes

How often will these experimental cards pop up? Once a week, or maybe once a month?

I did check if it was possible, I wasnt able to find it and neither was anyone else I knew. As soon as it went live I was trying to find it in custom games

1 Like

it’s called qp classic

7 Likes

It is a tragedy that 1-3-2 has been removed so quickly. I did not expect it to be removed so soon; It was by far the best game mode in game and the closest feeling to “old Overwatch”.
My only gripe was that the match maker did not seem to factor in SR at all. Very rarely would I get a game where there were masters+ players. For the most part, SR would range wildly between silver and diamond; making games not as “challenging” as they could be, at certain times, or too one sided at others.

It’s unfortunate it’s gone, but I guess I’ll be uninstalling again. I’m glad I came back to try it out at least.

13 Likes

This is the main and primary reason for enforcing 222. It wasn’t to get rid of Goats, or triple support, or because the team was too lazy to figure out how to balance it. When you know for sure how many of each role the team has, you can balance it to revolve around that. When you have two teams that can have varying degrees of play, its a lot harder to balance it and make sure it stays balanced. Otherwise, whats to stop them from going 3 tanks and 3 support because the tanks don’t have the same weaknesses as DPS… Oh, wait.

2 Likes

Can this game support one more player during the match? 2 tanks-3DPS-2Healers looks like a tuned touch.

1 Like

I already miss 1-3-2! It was so much more fun and I didnt have to queue 10 mins or longer to play DPS! And playing Tank felt actually good!

I think with a bit of work, like balancing DPS and Support, 1-3-2 would be a lot better than 2-2-2. It adresses both Queue Time problems, as well as Meta-Devastating Tank Synergys like Double barrier. I dearly hope it comes back soon and at some point replaces 2-2-2. Just a little bit more working on it, a Beta Season and we have a better Competitive Experience for everyone!

11 Likes

Hmm I’m surprised you’ve taken it down… what’s the harm in keeping it available until you’re ready to release another ‘experimental’ idea? taking it down surely will reduce the amount of feedback you’ll get too? silly!

14 Likes

Can’t wait for the next experiment. Hopefully it’ll be better than this one, as 1-3-2 is one of the worst directions that Overwatch could go in. The reduction of teamwork, along with the missing synergies that come from the lack of an off-tank, really make Overwatch feel empty and much more like a generic shooter. And I’d hate to see that become its fate. It felt awful.

7 Likes

That’s it? How much data could you guys have gotten in only a week for such a large fundamental change to the game? How can you make any reasonable conclusions when nobody really knows what’s going on? Or when there are some clear issues with the balance (cough zarya cough)? Or when there were no changes done to the DPS characters?

I really hope you do this again soon. I think there’s a lot of interesting potential here and I’d hate to see it dumpstered after just a week.

3 Likes

I loved the mode thoroughly, and it allowed me to play my main role. Without 3-2-1, I cannot play DPS. I highly encourage you guys to put up a 3-2-1 full-time! Now I’m off to go heal, which I still enjoy, but I’d love to play some DPS. Current queue times aren’t something I’m willing to put up with. For me, 10:00 min + about 99% of the time.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

It was a fantastic mode, I still have my fingers crossed for an arcade card or custom preset. Some of those tank changes can’t even be recreated in workshop to my knowledge.

3 Likes

Thanks for doing this! I think one change that might be fun and get some more dps playing tanks would be to have a seperate que or slot for main or offtanks!

1 Like

It was really good while it lasted. It’s the most fun I’ve had in OW. I really hope to see it return in some shape or form!

5 Likes

I am hopeful that at the conclusion of these experimental play tests we can get a summary of the development team’s observations.

For example, I think it is pretty obvious that 1-3-2 is not an ideal way to play Overwatch at a competitive level, but I am curious to see if the development team learned anything about where to take hero balance (especially with the tanks) for the current 2-2-2 ruleset.

23 Likes