Toxicity, Racism and why I'm leaving the game

I hear quite a bit of racist jokes, and low-key homophobic jokes in WoW it’s unreal.

Makes me glad guilds are practically useless now. I’m fine with LFR and randoms, ppl are to focused on the game play. Otherwise you die lol

Talk about going off on a tangent… :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

It’s a comparison. If people simply tolerate unwanted behavior or situations, it never changes. If there is enough push back, things change.

Being a racist/bigoted butt online shouldn’t be met with apathy and ignoring, it should be punished and stigmatized until it’s not a thing. This is how we change to have better culture.

EDIT: may I mention how hilarious it is to have someone named “Zoro” fighting against the oppressed people and victim blaming?

5 Likes

Drastic difference between a lack of rights and need to protest vs online trash talk.

Online players arent forcibly sending you to a plantation or forcing you to stay in the kitchen.

3 Likes

Your oppression is a figment of your own ideology.

You think you’re being oppressed, but in reality just mute whoever’s being a jerk, that’s it, you can play the game without worry.

Forcing your own ideologies down someones throat just breeds more hatred. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

And a world where people are silenced for opposing opinions =/= better culture.

2 Likes

Thats like asking for there to be world peace. It’s unrealistic. Sure it can improve but it would be silly of you to think we can rid of all bigotry in the gaming community. And this post literally proving that. This person is saying that the devs support this, isnt that toxic to say itself? The OG post is all irony tbh and a bad take.

You just needed an excuse to ‘leave’. See you in january.

Like… calling people something meant to dehumanize and belittle them?

Don’t confuse physics with social equality matters. They are VERY different. So very droll quote, but irrelevant.

When your opinion is that you should be allowed to use hateful and demeaning language no matter what, I have no problem with you being silenced.

3 Likes

2 buttons and poof it doesnt exist

Then silence them yourself, dont be an idiot and whine about it when you can just prevent it yourself.

1 Like

Just because someone isn’t experiencing it themselves anymore doesn’t mean that the hate and language have gone away. Are you a baby? Is object permanence not a thing for you? Is peekaboo still amazing to you because WOW the thing I saw then I didn’t see is suddenly back!

Yeah… by reporting people and making it undesirable to act like that. If people are unwilling to experience the consequences of being a poop, then they won’t be doing this stuff in the first place. Hey look, we solved some problems and didn’t have to put our hands over our own eyes and ears to do so!

5 Likes

So damn ironic considering the oversensitivity.

Who are you to decide what’s undesirable?

You have a way to solve it yourself by not having to listen to it, but no, cancelling and censorship for everyone!

Got a differing opinion? Nope! Begone!

Ah gotta love snowflakes of 2020

2 Likes

Says the person having a problem with OTHER PEOPLE reporting infractions.

The majority, hopefully.

If I have to silence people EVERY TIME I see it, it’s not a solution, or I can report people and eventually the problem will be lessened.

If your opinion is people should have to deal with dehumanizing language I have no problem censoring you.

Gotta love the people who call reasonable standards of human interaction “being a snowflake”.

7 Likes

Done with ya snowflake. Peace out bucko, enjoy your soap box and oversensitivity.

2 Likes

Enjoy your hate and blinded deafness.

5 Likes

I will thank you, freedom of speech feels great.

2 Likes

Thought you were done? Or are we gonna play “last word” till someone locks this?

Free speech in the US allows you freedom from government persecution for what you say, not freedom from the consequences of your actions. I wonder how you’d respond to a slander campaign against yourself? Maybe you’d be fine watching everyone you love and your life crumbling because someone was exercising “free speech”.

6 Likes

Real cool statement! But didnt ask!

1 Like

I’m leaving one last post just cause I can’t sleep rn and have nothing better to do

The insult thing fine, I did call you a brick wall, my bad and I’m sorry. You also just mocked me in that post as well but whatever, I could care less at this point

Besides that still don’t see where you get the idea that I’m being over-emotional. You responded just as much as me so I guess you are too by that logic :woman_shrugging:I was asking rhetorical questions, and I still stand by, why doesn’t Blizzard follow through on reports for what they themselves consider abusive chat? Honestly if they came out and said “Hey we dont care that your being harassed we’re not gonna action the offenders” I’d be fine with that, people can say what they want whatever. But if they’re gonna preach the opposite of that statement they better be doing their best to action these people and right now it doesn’t seem like they care at all

I and other people have also given plenty of reasons why it isn’t always as simple as “just mute” yet that’s been your response to pretty much every post in this thread. And the only people who should be afraid of abusive chat bans are people who regularly abuse chat. It’s not censorship. “Freedom of speech” and “Don’t harass others” are two viewpoints that can co-exist together you know?

1 Like

If you dont have to take the harassment, then dont.

Victims get blamed because they dont take the active precautions to prevent their scenarios a decent portion of the time.

It’s like kicking a hornet’s nest.

Also, just spouting out different arguments doesnt make them true.

1 Like

The point I’m making is if you ignore the problem it won’t go away. People need to stand up to make change happen. If people don’t make a stand against online racist, bullying and sexist harassment then it won’t go away. Just saying that it’s everyone so don’t bother trying to stand up is just saying you don’t care that it happens.

How about standing up to companies that refuse to stop this harassment within their games? If you’re in a McDonalds enjoying your meal and a group of people come in and start to verbally harass you with racist and/or sexist remarks, McDonalds won’t just stand they and not do anything, they will kick the people making such comments out. Blizzard needs to start doing the same.

6 Likes