Tom Powers: Related Question about software

May you or someone else authorize the use of Xpadder for official overwatch tournaments? Xpadder is software that basically attaches mouse functions on to a controller. I do not believe it fits any of the destructive criteria you mention on this thread.

Quoting your message, “The foundation of good competition is every player being equally-equipped to compete against one another, but many third-party applications erode the level playing field in Overwatch we strive for.”

As someone who gets wrist pain from time to time from long sessions of PC Gaming, an xbox controller provides me much more comfort. Mostly everyone would say that puts me at a disadvantage, but as an aspiring main support, I feel perfectly fine with it. I actually love the fluidity and movement options for Lucio with a controller. One thing I do like is being able to turn around quickly like a mouse does, so I have been using Xpadder for the past few years and have hit masters twice. Turning quickly allows me to secure kills faster, deal with flankers, and set up environmental kills better just like a mouse does. The software does not provide aim assist, macros, or any kind of cheats or bots. It makes me more equally equipped with the competition on PC who plays with mouse and keyboard. I am asking if this software, or something similar can be authorized to be legitimate and be consistent with your statement for equal competition. I personally believe everyone should be allowed to play the way they prefer as long as it is not cheating.

I have put many hours into this game, developing advanced levels of game-sense, positioning and ultimate usage. If I get to GM+, I would like the possibility of competing with the best players in official tournaments. I will likely not want to transition to mouse and keyboard, because the pain of my right wrist is too much and distracts me while playing. I do not want to quit the game I love :frowning:

1 Like

There’s no rule against using a controller or joystick any other peripheral, as long as it doesn’t provide any kind of automated assistance (macros, etc.).

I’m not going to directly say Xpadder is fine, because I’m not familiar with the software, but if it conforms to the above as you said, it should be fine.

Even though there is nothing wrong with your post, you are asking it to be locked with Tom’s name in it

Contenders support said they don’t allow 3rd party software for their official tournaments. Why should ranked and real tournament have different rules?

I don’t play overwatch for the ranked experience

LAN tournaments will often have additional rules to avoid letting you install arbitrary stuff on stage. I would assume this device you’re using just runs on a plug-and-play USB driver like any mouse or keyboard, in which case that isn’t an issue.

But again, I’m not really familiar with the actual thing, so I’m just speaking in general here.

Right. My understanding is that all players compete with an SSD or something similar with their player settings. I would install the < 2 MB software on that, and allow inspection of my entire drive prior to the event…

You can go on xpadder’s website for full information of the software. I can’t provide the link, but you can probably guess it.

The reason this is on public forums is because contenders support takes forever to reply and I think will not be replying to me any further. Blizzard Support also could not provide me a direct answer, and even suggested to post on the forums.

Huh that’s strange, I could have sworn I heard that some players in Contenders were using PS3 Nav controllers with their mouses:

I know that Circci, a player who recently ranked #1 in North America, uses one of these. I got one dirt cheap at GameStop for $3 and only needed the ScpToolkit freeware to get it working, way better than WASD imho. If Contenders players are using these I imagine they would need the 3rd party software to use it, but I can’t recall where I heard about that.

They may play in contenders because they are online tournaments and blizzard cannot (or does not care to) detect the software when playing online. If they went to an official event (atlantic/pacific showdown, overwatch league, other live tournaments), contenders support said they would be prohibited.

There needs to be a distinction between allowed software vs not allowed (control schemes vs malicious methods where there is clear cheating) otherwise someone is going to be surprised when they are told that they can’t compete using their legitimate method. Even though there are only a handful of us, we should still matter if we’re good enough to compete at live tournaments.

Something should really get done about this, but I don’t know how

As long as it does NOT use any automated assistance such as repeatedly pressing a button for you, or helping you with aim. I think it would be fine.

Cheating is anything that:

• automates aiming,
  • automate clicking buttons,
  • detecting enemy players,
  • tracking stats IN and DURING an overwatch GAME,
  • allowing you to see other players from the enemy team, THROUGH walls and otherwise visually obstructed areas.
  • Artificially Delaying or advancing your position on a map.
  • Dodge scripts
  • automated system notifying you of a specific player targeting you, outside of your LOS.
  • Radar

Made the move to mouse and keyboard. I now realize that all players need to be uniform in the way that they play