TIps on using Sigma for climbing?

Hey y’all.

One of my favorite things about the game is the large variety of characters. I have now decided to add Sigma to my line-up and I’ve gotten the hang of his kit fairly well.

I was wondering if anyone has tips that will help me start using him competitively?

1 Like

GM Sig/Zar main. It’s a bit difficult to give you tips without knowing what rank you are, or having seen your overall tank play, but the basics I can think of:

Sig can perform a lot of tasks with his kit, but he can’t do any particular thing better than any other tank. This means it’s easy for low ranked players to make the mistake of burning his resources too quickly, or getting too far out of position assuming that he can easily save himself with his kit.

Try to be slower and more methodical in how you use your abilities. This is also good advice for climbing as most tanks, as I often see low ranked players burning all of their tank CD’s and having nothing to show for it, and no way to get out of danger.

Also, remember that Sig is not a main tank. He likes off angles and protecting his back line. He doesn’t have a lot of health, and he doesn’t like enemies being close to him. Try to use rock to protect yourself from enemies getting a little to close for comfort, or to peel for your MT or supports.

6 Likes

Hello,

Hopefully this can help:

I have watched various videos from him, and he is really good at explaining things. I think he covered most of the tanks on his channel and you can learn a lot.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Here is a couple of tips for Sigma:

1. Your shield should be mainly used to block enemy abilities such as Sleep, Anti Nade, Hook. You can and still should use it to shield your team against heavy damage and snipers as well as rotations.
  2. NEVER let your shield break, it will lengthen the time it takes to regenerate by around 3-4 seconds, which is a LOT. So always recall it whenever you get the chance so it can always be ready to redeploy when you need it. Even a 5HP shield is enough to block any cooldown, even 1 Shot of McCree’s high noon
  3. Your succ should be used to absorb enemy cooldowns, ESPECIALLY abilities that generat a lot of ult charge like Rein’s firestrike. You can also use it whenever your shield will be hit with very heavy fire, to gain some extra health + preserve shield HP

But as others have said, I would highly recommend you play him and watch gameplay of better players, and then get a VOD Review so you can get helped with your weaknesses on him.

I personally like to play Sigma and would definitely be up to help with a VOD Review if you can get the VOD recorded =]

3 Likes

others have given good input, i would like to add that if there is one thing to keep in mind above all else, it’s that you aren’t playing reinhardt.

a lot of sigma players, especially in diamond and below, fall into the trap of picking sigma because they don’t want to play rein, but then they play him as if he were rein and they fail and then get frustrated and think “we need a better shield” - no, they need a better sigma player :wink:

keep his strengths and weaknesses in mind when you play him

3 Likes

Literally never a truer statement.

4 Likes

So much of what helps Sigma push forward & claim space is his shield management.

The learning curve is really getting that 6th sense for cool down rotations against things blocking your path, i.e. hook & other stuns.

I really love Sigma & I think he’s a lot stronger (beefier) than people give him credit, but it’s truly in being calculated on your approach & knowing when to try and challenge that space forward.

Sigma is my preferred choice to counter hog & there’s so many hogs.

I wish his Shift was a “live” ability and gave shields as it soaked projectiles, it can be really unfortunate losing the thing that makes you extra durable when you’re stunned out of it.

His ult is pretty worthwhile but there are times it’s worth more to use it on a single people for CC, such as a nano-genji.

1 Like

Bet!

This is great considering I am a terrible rein.

3 Likes

When Kaz says don’t play Sigma like Rien, he means don’t charge in like Galahad.

Sigma is meant to stand back and chill. Spamming from a distance and using natural cover to reduce damage taken.

Rien is meant as a brawler to be in your face and beating you for your lunch money. Because Sigma can spam over Rien shield, your goal is to keep Rien at a distance (which is generally why a spam based DPS like Hanzo or Junkrat posts up with Sigma).

3 Likes

Sigma is a good climber, especially in sigma-parkour

2 Likes