This whole game feels like a contradiction of itself

I can’t help but shake this feeling that despite the communication we get, the team just seems to be contradicting themselves.

A) They want to get rid of hard countering, but;
B) They make tanks and new heroes nearly impossible to deal with because of that (while also leaving specific hero interactions in that are, in fact, hard counters)

A) They want to make the battlepass feel rewarding, but;
B) They put the themed skins in the shop instead of the battlepass, and you don’t earn the premium currency through it (and souvenirs are such a waste of time, resources, and an emote slot)

A) They want the events to feel fun and fresh, but;
B) They make the events so stale to play, and the rewards lackluster (especially for OG players - we have most of the skins from YEARS ago, so why would I bother grinding a mode that’s stale?)

A) They said their hotpatch system is working so they can make quick balance changes, but;
B) It doesn’t work for the hero who is problematic at the moment (Roadhog) and they won’t actually balance Sojourn

A) They say they don’t want Sojourn to be bad for lower ranks, but;
B) They have no problem with heroes like Sombra or Genji being pretty terrible for lower ranks with their nerfs

A) They keep saying they’re improving their matchmaking, but;
B) They later reveal how flawed their system is from the core and the changes don’t actually address the fundamental flaws

A) They say they’ll communicate more, but;
B) You have to play Nancy Drew and piece together information from the lead dev’s Twitter, Aaron Keller’s twitter, and then patch notes come after the patch actually goes live

A) They may not want snipers to dominate, but;
B) Circuit Royale and Push Maps generally favor snipers because of the straightaways and free high ground.

A) They said since it’s a live service game, they can add more content, but;
B) They brought in map pools and we have less maps than in Overwatch 1. We have less content in this regard since we shifted to live-service.

I don’t know what else to say. I just wanted to get this off my chest. This is frustrating. Get it together, team. Pick a side and stick with it. So many choices feel good in intent, but contradicted in action. This game feels unfinished, so many of the choices feel like it’s lacking a modicum of foresight, and when your playerbase is voicing these concerns, you seem to carry on with your plan despite most of your vocal playerbase from all levels of play - from bronze to OWL - stating the things that are frustrating.

I want to like this game more. But it’s slowly starting to lose me. I don’t know how much longer I’ll be playing if they don’t change course and actually address core problems, not just little band-aid fixes that cause more problems.

126 Likes

I didn’t even know there were Twitch drops happening as they weren’t listed in the forums, or on the bnet launcher. I guess you had to follow them on twitter to know this? Why?

12 Likes

Honestly as a short term solution try changing roles. Sombra being ruined killed the Damage role fro me, so now I’m looking at Tank and Support. JunkerQueen is pretty fun but she’s garbage too.

5 Likes

No more hard counters

Kiriko: Literally deleting Queens ultimate by pressing E

46 Likes

OW has been one big contradiction all the time.

In attempt to appeal to everyone it ends up appealing to no one.
The game is just so directionless.

17 Likes

Ana hardcountering Hog leading to Kiriko hardcountering Ana

It’s the best.

23 Likes

This was just an excuse during clarification of locking heroes behind bp, to try and mitigate negative feedback

16 Likes

I started playing Overwatch about 2 years ago. And honestly so far it hasn’t actually felt like a completed game at any point.

I think that at its core Overwatch might be a broken model. Which isn’t to say it can’t be alot of fun. Because it definitely can be. But their decision to continually add new heroes with completely unique abilities feels like it’s always going to run into issues.

Right now it feels like the devs are just always running forward because they don’t want to face the core issues of the game.

1 Like

Lol does it ever make you wonder if much of these inconsistencies and problems could be largely attributed to poor leadership and flawed operating procedures?

I can empathize that some changes just take time… like there are definitely time constraints and limitations in resources and development… But I can’t shake the hunch that leadership and management are a bit shoddy.

All the money and reputation in the world can’t force cohesive processes and well thought out strategies for achieving goals. Starting to get “over-promising and under-delivering” vibes.

Maybe that’s showing (or bleeding) a bit.

8 Likes

I don’t know why anyone expects any more of Overwatch.

Blizzard is a company content to rest on their laurels.

Overwatch is objectively a poorly thought out concept, that has been polished to a high level visually to give the illusion of a good game. Swap the art of Paladins and Overwatch, and paladins would have been the successful game.

5 Likes
  1. Overwatch aims to have a diverse cast

2. By having heavy handed stereotypes of every ethnic group…

2 Likes

now you know how the support roster felt about Ana for the past X amount of years with her anti nade, which you just had to wait to wear off so you could heal again

5 Likes

WWWWOW. The second someone at the corporation said that, y’all should have been running for the exits. :point_right:

It’s a cash shop with a minigame attached. Viewed through this lens, most of the rest of it makes sense.

3 Likes

Welp lets see how “more rewarding on the free battle pass” will be next season

My interpretation was not hard countering, but a very specific counter. Which is kinda weird with Kiriko/Ana, but otherwise fits.

They don’t want their to be only one way to counter an enemy strategy.

I honestly think the BattlePass originally had all the Cyberpunk and Greek God skins in it, and somebody in marketing got greedy. Maybe even earnable currency in the Battle Pass. “Best battle pass in gaming” was probably real at one point in the planning stages.

The event was okay, but all the other stuff soured a lot of people to it.

No freaking clue what their logic is on Sojourn, other than “New DPS Hero must be OP”.

They seem to have an aversion to putting in simple quick changes when they have a more complex change in mind a month or more later… which is honestly a really dumb business decision. They should focus on putting in “good enough for now” changes. “Placeholder changes”. To do otherwise is to intentionally alienate the playerbase.

Well let’s see what they do on Thursday. I actually kinda give them a pass on the more mechanical side of matchmaking. And I think their biggest flaw is having a LOT of time to make the Support Role more appealing, and then doing next to nothing besides adding Kiriko.

I think there’s a gap between what the team wants to say, and what BlizCorp will allow them to say.

TBH, I had thought that they would have sorted Sojourn ASAP after launch, and then by NOW they’d be focusing on Widow/Hanzo. Well go figure.

Above all my biggest concerns are.

1. Faster balance patching, with “placeholder changes”
  2. Make the Support Role more desirable
  3. Basic stuff like getting rid of map pools, and the 7/20 hidden SR thing
  4. Better communication, but TBH, a lot of that could just be paired with the more frequent patch notes. Most the time they shut up between patches. So more patches should help a lot.

Which could also just be

1. Patch Faster
  2. Patch Supports
  3. Basic universally appreciated changes
  4. More Patch Notes
4 Likes

This is much better post than most of the childish drivel I read on here.

No insults - just purely what is lacking on this game in your opinion.

I share this opinion with you.

I also think Blizzard are favouring new players at the expense of old ones.

I feel the game is losing me too because they’d rather have the fortnite crowd.

10 Likes

that was stupid advertising comparable to “it takes at least a year to make ONE cool skin” (good luck if you offer 6 BP every year, genius) :expressionless:. I wouldn’t take it too seriously but rather the need to have the right tank… depending on the type of map. I like for example that shambali has a very different geography to how areas like king’s row or rialto are played. I think maps are the real countering balance to consider, never too much heroes specifically.

hypocrisy, especially in proposing more stupid challenges and twitch drops instead of creating truly global rewards and destroying that stupid shop that prevents you from choosing what you want to buy due to its RANDOM daily / weekly rotation.

events are damaged very directly by bad rewarding and by the avarice of proposing real event skins with real chances to get them through your constant gameplay.

it will only get worse when OWL 2023 resumes together with its always direct and punctual feedback, contrary to how they treat the feedback of users who accuse Blizzard of having made the ultra of ramattra particularly paytowin (buffing it, instead of giving buffs in really useless skills such as the vortex).

1 Like

I thought you were going to talk about the contradiction of try-hards with ninja click-on-heads skills getting upset over a goofy game with a hamster and a gorilla as playable characters. Or the effort put into making it sound “realistic”, which really means echo-y mush that is non-directional and useless, in a goofy game with a hamster and a gorilla as playable characters.

1 Like

Have they given any details about these flaws? Reference?

The new shop skins aren’t promoted outside of the game either. I thought the point of twitter was to deliver short and fast info, and they don’t feature their main products on it.

But hey, when I log into the game to take a peek at what the artists have made, I guess they can add that to their “engagement” metrics.

1 Like