This Isn't Going To Be A New Thing Is It?

This is code for “vote with your wallets”

So please, do not participate in this scam

4 Likes

I think this promotion just is the first wake up call for many dedicated (and vocal) players that the ‘gotta have them all’ skin era of Overwatch is over now they are going free to play. Which makes sense since the game is free.

If you want every collectable and skin be prepared to pay a looooooot of money because Overwatch will go into full Fortnite and COD mode where you can spend 1000 dollars each season for all stuff, play 100 hours each season to unlock some stuff you bought and do all kind of side promotions with other services or products.

Since I can’t have it all anymore, I have decided not to spend a single cent on OW2 and let the whales finance the game.

4 Likes

You all need to chill. Again they said it’s just a test to make sure this Brand New System works well before they include more people.

“ content creators“ not the the ones they should make happy it’s the players so now I disagree I don’t wanna get $15 to some content creator if I want to do that I would join your Patreon or w/e ,they should just say the skin is worth $15 blizz. we want skins we can getvia game or battle pass not this nonsense

“like it or not” yup sounds like a blizzard response.

4 Likes

Look I don’t want to seem “toxic” here and you are just the messenger, I’m not targeting you when I ask this, you’re just the outlet that I have available to ask. I don’t work in a PR department and I don’t track what every game does, but is this a common thing for other games to do? It almost seems like you’re anticipating that the appeal of streaming this game might not otherwise be as organically robust as you would want it to be.

I’m just asking because I like this game and I hope we’re not in trouble. I’ve heard often that this team just doesn’t get the resources it needs so does that also include marketing?

1 Like

When Ow2 was announced F2P people here were incredibly naive to what it will mean. I tried to warn people

3 Likes

To be frank, I have no sympathy for a guy working for Blizz PR. They knew what they signed up for. I’m sure Andy would be fine doing any other job. Likely thrive at it.

what? bahahaha stick to overwatch b.c the rest of this is silly

Look that’s you man. I was raised to treat everybody the way I’d wanna be treated and I just feel more comfortable doing that, you know?

I wouldn’t work that job. I would absolutely expect and deserve to be ridiculed with words online for towing the line of a disastrous company. I’ve quit jobs for less.

I really don’t think the golden rule applies here, because I would never find myself in the position of being the Blizzard PR guy.

Heck, PR as a field is scummy. I’m too honest for it.

Nobody should harass him, obviously, but its fair to call out the BS.

I do understand that, usually people who NEED PR are the people most regularly stepping on other’s toes.

But like, none of that changes who I am, you know?

I kind of look at it like getting mad at a retail worker for a scummy company. Ultimately the people who made the decisions to deserve your ire are hiding higher up the food chain.

Yeah by all means do that as you see fit, did I tell you to stop or something?

I’d like to know what Blizz gets out of this? How many people actually watch twitch?

Agreed, I thought the skins in OW were fun to have, but not worth actually spending money to get them.

They were/are so important and the new way to market a game(s) but rarely yielded long lasting positive results?

Perhaps the issue isn’t traditional marketing or streamers not really working for Blizz/OW but OW just has reached its cap on how many players it can draw in.

The gameplay loop of OW as it is now, and appears to remain mostly the same with OW2 is fun for awhile. There is nothing to progress for, nothing to really earn out side of cosmetics which seems to be heading towards the way of just buying them or make OW become your only game.

Which as a former WoW player, going the route of making your players feel like this is the only game they can play in order to stave off that FOMO to me does far more harm to the popularity and population of the game than just you know, making a good game people want to play over any other game.

But hey! I’m not in the game industry. Just been my hobby for my entire life so far. Wtf do I know. GL Blizzard and OW.

5 Likes

yea thats probably what will happen. i already miss the old days of weekly challenge events and them dropping skins for free lol. i did get my 40 dollars worth from 2016

now we enter a new era. its not new tho this is the thing that is “live service” all those popular games you see on twitch do this and of course blizzard/activision is pushing this game to that model. looking at diablo, hearthstone and heroes of the storm it might fail big time but they will get $$ short term.

never cared for live service games but i love overwatch. have to be careful about spending of course since i may be tempted to buy something if “cool” i mean i could afford it but frivolous expenses add up. im already a whiskey and beer drinker so thats pretty frivolous to begin with :smirk:

2 Likes

Nintendo is not a small indie, they can pay for their own marketing.

But hey, the outdated company from the 80’s doesn’t support streamers, it clearly doesn’t understand modern game marketing, its list of 20 millions+ games sold at full price is just, you know, something… Something that happens because reasons… :upside_down_face: :point_right: :point_left:.

1 Like

I hope this is the last time they hold a skin hostage behind paying streamers, this is so stupid

It’s not even a ‘premium’ looking skin either. Just directly charge us if you’re trying to wring money out of us

1 Like

Translation:

:persevere::persevere::confounded::tired_face::weary::triumph::triumph::angry::rage::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::confounded::tired_face::weary::sob::sob::cry::sob::sob::sob::tired_face::triumph::angry::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::sob::sob::sob::sob::rage::sob::triumph::sob:

It’s a BRIG SKIN. You don’t HAVE to participate. It’s O P T I O N A L. It’s a cosmetic. OW is clearly trying to support the streamers, who support them. How is that so confusing??? Oh. My. God.

You can trash talk the steamers. You can hate them. You can tell us all how you would rather file your teeth down than support them.

No. One. Cares. You don’t have to like them, or support them. You don’t have to get the brig skin. But for the love of whatever God may be, spare us of your utterly pointless, negative, crying, whining, delusionally entitled blabber over literally nothing.

Important to who? What % of players actually watch or care about streams?

8 Likes