This game/community is exactly the same as 2 years ago

i love this post from july 2017 for several reasons…(thats almost 2 years ago btw)

first of all to point out how silly the whole “game is dying” meme is…how long is the dying phase exactly?

secondly…just check out that first reply…almost word for word the complaints you see today…

• queue times were bad then (when you would assume they were shorter)

• toxic community…nuff said

• boring meta…this was during dive…you know the META everyone wants the game to go back to apparantly…

• awful balance…where have i heard this before…

keep going down

• need more content
  • smurfs
  • state of competitive

keep in mind that this was before OWL, before any of the reworks, before the devs had a chance to “ruin” the game…during the “good” times right after the first archives and 1 year anniversary of the game

people always want to get on here and complain about how things are getting worse…well…when things were apparantly “better”…we hated it just as much…

Overwatch is overwatch…stop acting like its all of a sudden different…you either like it or you dont

also this quote

I’m pretty sure when Destiny 2 comes out it is gonna start killing Overwatch.

:rofl:

25 Likes

Balance or not. I’ve always taken Overwatch not serious since 2016. Will always because memes are better than Competitiveness.

2 Likes

Game has been bad since launch, the moment the shiny polish wore off you could see the crap underneath it.

for a “bad” game there sure does seem to be a lot of people playing it…

10 Likes

Thanks for the throwback! Gosh if you ignored the meta, it seems like all the comments on the forums are a copy/paste from before…

Funnily enough, I played D2 for a little bit, but their content drought is what made me wanna return to OW.

Doesn’t make it a good game either

And yet three years later, you’re still here. Can’t be that bad of a game, then.

6 Likes

The heroes I once played have all gotten balance changes that break their character though, including their playability arguably.

The game isn’t dead, but its certainly declining. Two years ago I would have called BS, but its undeniable that the game is not in a good state, especially now that we aren’t getting anything new in events aside from cosmetics…

A lot of those people in that forum post more than likely quit. I havent seen any of then in these new forums at all.

1 Like

I mean, pretty much every game is on a decline or has already outright died by now, so that’s not really saying anything. Not that the state of Overwatch is good if Blizzard wants it to continue being popular, but it’s doing just fine for a game of its age.

Here’s what the hero pickrates in comp looked like around that time:

Would you say the balance was good looking at that?

Plenty of people didn’t like Dive or what they felt was Dive.

Sure, some people want to go back then but, for other people the Golden Age was before that. I’d had all of my friends quit before then.

This also wasn’t before the reworks. Lucio for example had a rework

You’ve got many of the same complaints because you have the same problem staff in leadership that have an aversion to recognizing or improving from mistakes.

Just saying if people think the game was so much better then…then why is it we were complaining about the same exact things then…the game is exactly the same with a different meta…

The game is not getting worse…it’s just 3 years old…people get tired (apparantly even 1 year after release)…

The problems with the game are weird in that they bother everybody…and yet clearly not enough if people are still here 2 years later…and yes I know people HAVE left…but is it because of those things or do people just get tired of playing the game…part of me feels like people list those things just because they want to blame something (how big are they really I wonder some times)

2 Likes

why are you here if it brings you nothing positive?

3 Likes

It’s interesting isn’t it? People will always complain about these things no matter what changes are made. People act like the OWL is so bad, like it’s such a plague yet they made the same complaints they are now before it was even up.

Same crap different words I suppose?

It’s interesting, ‘apex legends will kill overwatch’ can’t wait to see where it is in two years

2 Likes

My group of friends all played TF2 together before moving on to Overwatch.

The lowest hour count any of my friends had on TF2 was 300ish. Most of them didn’t hit 40 in Overwatch. To me, that suggests that the timing of departure is heavily about the game not just regular burn out.

The thing is lots of stuff about Overwatch is far better than TF2

The sound design in Overwatch beats TF2 by miles. The graphics in Overwatch are better than TF2. The performance of Overwatch is better than TF2’s stock performance (Custom Config TF2 probably runs better than Overwatch unless they messed it up) Overwatch’s story at launch was far better than what TF2 had at launch or even a few years in.

The problems in my view comes in at gameplay/social design approach/implementation.

As for why some people are still here, it’s a lack of surviving competition in genre.

Lawbreakers is dead. Paladins has the issue of HiRez being Hi Rez and tends to just be fun in bursts imho. TF2’s had better days and some of us have had into the thousands of hours are might actually have gotten burnt out on it:P. Dirty Bomb’s not getting updates. Battle Born is in maintenance mode. Loadout is dead.

Or maybe its not the same people because I sure do know that I wasn’t anywhere near the forums back then, but I sure am here now from time to time when I feel practicing my typing. :rofl:

Does it really matter who says it? The game can’t have been better if the complaints are the same…

This take is interesting…but I wonder if that specifically matters because it’s not like there isn’t ANY competition…fortnite happened around then no? And there have been various games that many would consider competitors (not to mention the quote I have at the end lol)

By the way I would love to see the current version of that chart

You forgot the meme of mercy threads
They’re going on for way more than that time :slight_smile:

This made me so happy that someone took the time to dig it up and confirm it.

Oh man, Baja, you’re my spirit animal or something. Thank you for doing the work.

This concept kills me every time. People acting like Dive was always loved or way better. Nope… Same feelings different face.

2 Likes
  • It’s not because something is bad that it can’t get worse.
  • A prolonged exposure to something bad will be experienced as getting progressively worse because 1) the effect of disillusion (people hope it’ll get better, but it doesn’t, resulting in averse reactions) and 2) frustration plays a big role.
  • ‘Dying’ is a sensational term that basically means ‘the game is on decline’ regardless of how weak or strong the decline is, so in that regard ‘dying’ can take a really long time.
  • Complaints of two years ago being the same as now is not a good sign for any company.
1 Like