This game needs a surrender / forfeit button

Title.

No one likes backfills or 3-min long 4v5 matches where we’re missing a tank and when the matchmaking sometimes can’t find a backfill (for some reason and does find one when there’s only 30 sec left on the clock) and it results in endless stomps where you’re not even allowed to afk (because of inactivity penalty)…

I know forfeit / surrender can be toxic sometimes (like on Valorant when there’s only one person voting against forfeit and the match carries on and that one person gets bullied) but I think there’s no stopping toxicity in online gaming, especially in Overwatch so might as well go with this option.

Anybody agrees ?

21 Likes

There’s no need. Quickplay matches in overwatch are like 10 mins average while valorant are like 3x the length. They should do something about leavers.

6 Likes

Getting stomped for 3-4 minutes in a 4v5 isn’t fun and only makes you want to never log in again. I don’t think that’s what the OW team wants. They want you to be excited while playing.

Yup, banned them faster with less forgiveness.

2 Likes

This would save so much unnecessary anguish in certain comp matches. Having to sit through the entire match when one of your teammates has given up, or has decided to throw is the most tilting thing I experience on a regular basis. I log off more times after a match like that, than after multiple hard fought losses. I’m fine taking a loss in these instances where the game is actually unplayable. I think this would be a healthy option to combat trolls and throwers, however I can see how even the trolls would take advantage of this when they’re grouped up. Perhaps only allowing a match surrender when the entire team votes yes would prevent that.

3 Likes

There’s no point, games end in a few minutes if its a stomp.

edit but then again the trolls could simply vote no and the match would continue, so maybe idk man

It’s still a waste of time and afking isn’t really welcome by devs. Imagine getting reported for staying at spawn in 4v5… might as well let people surrender.

2 Likes

Press emote button to surrender, enemies will notice it and push the cart faster, trust me.

1 Like

Alt + F4 is what you press to surrender.

Honestly though… I’m indifferent to this. Wouldn’t bother me if it was a feature in comp, but despite all the talk about steam rolls in this game, matches can also turn around on a dime. What seemed like a lost cause only 30 seconds ago can quickly turn in your favor and have your team pressing onward to win.

Only if someone left and it’s uneven (4v5 for instance). I don’t get why people would surrender in Competitive in 5v5 when there’s still a possibility to win. It’s not like on Valorant when the score gap is too wide (and even that can be winnable).

Yup that’s why I would rather have this “forfeit” option in QP at first.

No.

That would just invite trolling and poor sportsmanship, with teams forfeiting the moment there’s a slight inconvenience towards them, denying the opposite team a good game or those who want to keep playing a chance for a comeback. Worse groups of friends would be able to ruin games for randoms they happen to be teamed up with by forfeiting even when their team is winning because they have the majority vote.

Lets not create more toxicity in this game.

9 Likes

People waited for years to have such an option in HotS - there you did not even have a backfill option but Blizz placed bots in your team which they dumbed down year after year. While at start the bots were godlike, today they are just target dummies. And Blizz never added a surrender function there either. Won’t happen.

Blizz should instead work on there matchmaking and on the leavers problem. How comes that I can quit a match and then directly queue for another one? Or why are you able to queue for Mystery heroes for example, don’t like your random hero, leave and queue for Mystery heroes right away? You could lock people out of a game mode for 1 hour and also lock them out from requeuing as long as the match they left is still running. At least the second option was also implemented in HotS - so Blizz obviously know how to build such things.

Also the way backfills work are dumb. I often am placed in a match where I have 1-20s playtime. Often I don’t even have enough time to leave the spawn.

And Blizz needs to fix how people confirm that they are ready to play. Why is it that a game can start when not all 5 players are present? Why don’t you have to confirm a found match where you queued befor Blizz puts you into the match? This is a standard in many games. If you sit for 2 minutes in a queue, then go to the bathroom and in that time a game is found, Blizz puts you into the match. Then you sit in the spawn not choosing a hero and after a while you are booted. Then Blizz looks for another player. Until he is found (which takes longer for tanks and supports) and until he finally chose a hero and moved out of the spawn, the match often is already 50% in the favor of the enemy.

Those things could be easily adressed by fixing matchmaking and the leavers situation.

I agree but it is just faster to leave.

2 Likes

I don’t consider 4v5 when you’re in attack on Hybrid and stuck at the spawn “an inconvenience”, it’s more than that… Especially in QP and when the game can’t find a backfill and there’s no “you can leave safely now” message like in Competitive.

It’s not about toxicity, it’s about not killing people’s will to even log in and play. Overwatch is a 6 years old game with a lack of new content. Any detail is important to fix so Blizzard doesn’t fast an exodus.

Any QoL improvement is important since there’s not going to be a lot of new content on a yearly basis (3-4 new heroes per year at tops / 3-4 new maps at tops).

Yeah, I don’t do that 'cause apparently that increases you being in bad backfills (even though I almost never left a game in my life, except for rare IRL emergencies and still get bad backfills).

Plus, I’m always on my best behavior on online games (never been banned and never got a penalty of any sort ever and my endorsement level was stuck between 4 and 5 for years on Overwatch).

1 Like

It can be, depending on how long it takes for the backfill to happen and what role was lost when someone left. A DPS leaving is far less critical than a tank or support. However in QP, at least in my experience, backfills are usually quick. Competitive is when it takes longer.

4 new heroes, a new game mode, new maps including another new one which will be available in a few days time when Season 3 launches on the 7th, a new competitive game mode (CTF).

There’s plenty of new content unless you choose to ignore its existence.

And you’re ignoring the fact that this option absolutely would increase trolling and poor sportsmanship. What’s stopping me from say, getting 3-4 of my friends (depending on if Blizzard goes with a 3/5 vote or 4/5 vote to forfeit), queueing for a QP game and then when we’re 90% of the way to victory just forfeiting the game using the majority we have?

If we left, then a backfill could occur and the game would continue, but if we forfeit, game over. The randoms on my team now have another loss on their profile, for a game they should have won.

That’s the whole point of my thread : sometimes it can literally take 3 min to find a tank backfill and the matchmaking finds one when there’s 30 sec left on the clock, which is pretty much useless (most of the time)…

Well something has definitely been going wrong recently (it takes a lot of time to find a tank backfill in QP).

There’s no backfill in Competitive.

19 new heroes and an entire new game in 2016 VS only 3 new heroes and 6 maps for the “OW2” launch on October 4th (after 3 years of literally nothing) :man_shrugging:

Basically the same roadmap to new content as on 2016-2019 Overwatch before they decided to go for the content embargo for no real reason when see the lackluster content we had on October 4th 2022.

I haven’t ignored it, I basically said that since the game is already toxic with no real fix or good amount of new content, might as well go for QoL improvevement as much as we can.

That’s literally the point. If they don’t want to win, might as well vote for forfteit. We could also establish a rule where forfeit is available only when there’s a leaver and no backill for like a minute (which is very long for Overwatch in QP).

Who cares about stats in 2023 Overwatch ? I think most sites such as Overbuff don’t even work, we don’t even have our profile displayed on the forums. Plus, we could completely not count those as losses in QP (and create a “forfeit” type of stat in the profile).

Those are none-issues.

That sounds like a GREAT idea, we all want hours long queue times as the player base is dwindled down to 500 players total.

Just becasue the game’s playerbase is shrinking doesn’t give a free pass for displaying a toxic and none game-friendly behavior and letting it unpunished :man_shrugging:.

Fight me on this.

I don’t know about QP but it would be nice for Comp, imo.

Competitive already lets you leave after 1min30 or so, after someone has left.

It’s still something considering QP has nothing as such and will punish you no matter when you leave (even if a lot of players have left before you did).