This game finally made me delete it

Ive had a ddos on pc happen aswell, maybe two times total. But there are some super nerds out there.

Console ow is in a rough state currently tho

Can someone explain me ddosing? I know it’s something when your internet crushes because another player is affecting it. But how can they do this

All of that is explained on the link above.

1 Like

hello there, I am a network engineer for a large corporation with 6 years of education.

no one is DDosing you, that is ridiculous, how do that many people have access to those resources, or the care to block people, also they would need to get your IP address, which is really hard to duo. Since your connection to xbox live is encrypted. essentially if they were monitoring traffic externally they would see nothing and if they were monitoring you from inside the network they would see need to view your session.

to view their session they would need access to the load balancers or the server to at least know your session ID, and then they would need to track that session back to the firewall to get your IP.

Each one of these level of access is given to separate departments and not one person, so in short, this would be real hard and it would require someone who is super specialized to do this on the inside.

in others words, it is real unlikely, maybe you are just mean to people and enough people complained about you.

Bro the mod just asked nicely above not to discuss how to obtain IP. X.x

1 Like

ddos means distributed denial of service attack. a classic example is sending out an ntp request from a faked sender address - the victim’s address. all the replies will go to the victim instead of you, and the responses are much larger than the original request. they are a lot harder to block than traditional denial of service attacks because to the victim, there are thousands of source addresses from random networks instead of just one.

Lol, you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

4 Likes

anyone with a copy of LOIC or a list of ntp or recursive dns servers with no acl on them

except if any of the traffic is peer to peer (and it is)

2 Likes

Keep in mind that this only works if the ISP uses Dynamic IP.
If the ISP uses Static IP, the only way to change it is by calling them (I don’t know if they charge for this).

IIRC this depends on the router, practically all routers make use of a Dynamic IP now since there really isn’t any downside to it. Doubt anyone will be using such an old piece of tech.

what? no, it depends on how the router is configured. Noone in their right mind would buy a router that you can’t configure static addresses on.

I helped as much as I could. There is definitely something that can be done about it.

On the router you can chose how your network behaves.
In my network, I have all my devices with static IP and a pool of 100 dynamic IP.

In the case of the ISP, your modem/router has no say in the matter. The ISP is who decides if your public IP is dynamic or static.

But, having said this, it is rare to have static IP. In general it is something you have to pay extra for.

1 Like

Yes. It is very rare these days to be able to change your IP just by resetting your router and modem. They usually lock your whole service to 1 address, and calling them to change it, most of the time they will tell you that they can’t.

TL;DR: An Xbox developer confirmed this issue, so it’s probably safe to stop debating whether it’s possible or not. Blizzard staff also discussed it in another thread.

This is not accurate because your IP is not encrypted in all areas of their platform. An Xbox developer confirmed it is a known P2P issue on this Reddit post:

Hey all, we know this is a problem - we are actually phasing out P2P voice connections for party chat completely which we’ve been working on quite a bit in the background to stop this very problem - Source

Microsoft also has an FAQ related to this issue to cover the responsibility to their users. From their site:

If you play games on Xbox Live, you could experience a denial of service (DoS) or distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack. Such attacks may render your device (your Xbox console or your computer) temporarily unable to connect to the Internet or to Xbox Live. - Source

Taking a modem offline overnight (router shouldn’t matter unless it’s a combo unit) usually assigns a new IP, but that may not hold true for all ISPs or instances where static IPs are being assigned. In those cases, you’d have to contact the ISP and if they can’t help then you’d want to use a VPN to hide your real IP.

I mentioned this here and in the other thread, but for anyone skimming through: the router has to support a VPN setup, or you need to tunnel your connection through a computer, to be able to use a VPN on the Xbox.

4 Likes

This guy is probably a shill for a hacker group.

ur mid diamond so i dont think id believe a liar

So this is something I’m not knowledgeable in. How do you tell the difference between getting ddosed and just a normal disconnect. I have experienced this alot and always just cop it up to my internet spazing out.

you can’t, unless you’re running pfsense or some kind of enterprise-grade kit like a palo alto, cisco asa, juniper srx, something like that. ddos attacks are designed to just eat up all your available bandwidth or sockets (or both)

it also might not be a ddos, just a regular denial of service attack via syn floods or big chunky ping packet flooding or whatever

From the Microsoft link I provided above:

If your Xbox console experiences a DoS or DDoS attack, you probably won’t be able to connect to Xbox Live from your console, and all Internet connectivity in your household will be down.

If you haven’t been joining party chats with strangers on Xbox, you probably have nothing to worry about. This is especially true if you come back online almost immediately, or don’t disconnect from other services. A DDoS attack would shut down all connectivity, not just the Xbox.

2 Likes