This game feels like a forced esport

One of the devs confirmed in a post that they work with pros in balance, so I don’t give a damn what Poko says.

They might not listen to him specifically, but they did listen to the pros for many other subjects.

8 Likes

People will try to make it competitive whether or not a company backs it. I know everyone loves their ‘grassroots’ game scenes like in the old days (which nowadays only the FGC is the only community I know that still is closets to such a thing) but there’s nothing wrong with a company trying to give it the tools and funding to make it larger and gain from it. They’ve honestly added a lot of features that players have asked for since the release, not just pros. They made replay systems, improved the spectator mode, tried to adjust balance and created teams and leagues to support players in these endeavors. I think many people just dislike it because it doesn’t feel like some local tournament and the pro players experience is different from average player experience. Players will feel disconnected when their games don’t go as they expect, which is a given since normal players don’t scrim and work with teams for hours every day.

That’s because it probably is. Not sure who exactly it was, but there were individuals here and there who said the game should naturally become an esport over time before the OWL came around, and were pretty pessimistic about its staying power.

2 Likes

No, it wasn’t. The esports scene didn’t mean jack when Overwatch came out, and certainly there was no OWL. It’s only relatively recently they’ve turned everything toward chasing the esports scene, but their would-be world stage esport just…doesn’t make a good esport. And chasing it is killing this game.

3 Likes

Same thing happening with Apex Legends. Wattson was new for 2 months and gets nerfs. Why? Pros only using Wraith/Pathfinder/Wattson.

Wraith and Pathfinder were already nerf so they hit Wattson. People still picking her in the pro scene. lol

But we the players got hit with the nerf for nothing when Wattson is only good when people camp and set up in buildings. Playing for position placement rather than kills.

The original announcement video for OWL came out in 2016 LUL.

2 Likes

OWL hasn’t been any kind of thing until relatively recently, dude. And honestly, it’s trash, anyway. The game makes for a terrible esport.

1 Like

I literally just said that it was in my post LUL. What are you talking about.

I don’t understand you and I don’t speak “LUL” or whatever. Make a cogent point or be ignored.

OWL isn’t new. Thats the obvious point I’m trying to make. It’s not that hard.

3 Likes

This is just blizzard’s incompetence. Plus, I would assume those are two separate teams that have nothing to do with each other.

If you want a more successful game, look at league of legends. Looking past all the horrible things involved with the higher ups in the company, the game is constantly updated and they have a really successful esports scene.

The things you highlighted are just a blizzard problem. Events, skins, and constant balance changes are things they do right which blizzard is way overdue to learn from.

2 Likes

Yes, it is. Dude, it didn’t start until like 2018. So…yeah. Try again?

Did you not read my post at all. Overwatch League: The Path to Glory - YouTube

1 Like

Competitive titles wouldn’t because they mostly cater to hardcore/dedicated fans. Overwatch tries to cater to both.

Literally has no valid point. Announcement video means nothing. OWL didn’t start until 2018. It wasn’t until later into it that Blizzard started chasing the esports scene completely, at the cost of the game’s competitive integrity and balance.

You think they came up with OWL the day before it came out lol. You can’t start asking for 20 mill per team from investors from all over the world without some planning in the beginning. This was planned far before the first teams even were being created.

2 Likes

Yeah, sure, but the game didn’t go down the tubes chasing the esports thing until after OWL launched. It had some problems in the interim, but things only really started getting terrible in the past year or two, coinciding with the rise of the OWL.

The best thing they could do now is cancel OWL and hire a new dev team to properly manage this game. Which means, of course, they’ll do the exact opposite.

1 Like

Cancel the thing that is the only reason this game has any relevance and made back it’s expected profit 3 times over. Yes let’s do that lol.

1 Like

That’s because it is

Dive for one year was healthy balance?