This game desperately needs two tanks back

They could pretty much reduce shield hp or add increased damage to shields or just rework some tanks like they did with Orisa, nobody asked for 5v5 mainly because there were premades of 6 friends playing. Not even the pros wanted 5v5 and kicking a member out.

I think they just wanted to imitate League because It was the model for E-sports at the moment. Too bad they didn’t studied It enought and realize that that game is also suffering a massive player migration due to random balance changes since item rework.

1 Like

Open queue is orisa hog every game. The horse and the pig would probably be meta if 6v6 came back and not because of synergy but because they’re just broken

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t doubt that they went 5v5 mainly to solve the tank shortage. But since it’s resulted in tanking being vastly more fun (imo) both to play as and play alongside, I wouldn’t want to go back. Sure, there were games of D.Va + Hog/Zarya where I ended up winning, but winning isn’t the only concern here; the tanks running D.Va, Hog or Zarya in these games were playing a game of tank chicken where they hoped that the other guy would give in, while the rest of the team was spitting blood trying to prop the whole thing up. It was not pleasant at all, for anyone involved.

And this ties into the proposed solution for double shield. Yes, they could penalise each tank if they stacked barriers, but then tanks feel like they’re being punished. But the remaining tanks are still going to pick what they want to pick and so we’ll end up with tanks trying to roll with the penalty, having less fun themselves while also draining fun for the rest of the team.

2 Likes

More fun alongside said by who? The general consensus is that its only more fun for the tank players and miserable for everyone else. To the point that many dps said they rather play against double shield than against raid Hog.

2 Likes

Well, for me it’s been more fun supporting one chunky tank. Supports have their problems, but paper tanks aren’t one of them any more (for the most part).

People were complaining about Hog back in OW1, too, so it’s not like anything’s changed on that front. He’s always been a magnet for complaints and he will continue to be unless they change him significantly.

Precisely, now everyone relies on the supports or the single tank taking the aggro explodes, and supports are easier to kill than before.

But Im happy you are having fun with the game.

3 Likes

If i have a Winston on my team, i automatically assume i am going to be left bare and open to the enemy. Infact i feel that with most tanks. Mostly because they can mostly do their job by being hyper aggressive. Any other method staggers them and since there really isn’t as much chokes and point holds and the speed to which these happen and overall games make playing tank feel clunky. Tank duos was already hard of a job before and now you have to attempt to do the two jobs of before.

And that is playing tank.
Imagine DPS and support who feel uncomfortable with the lack of reliability and always running forward or backward. Cover on maps almost feels pointless from how you speed through them.

There’s pros and cons to it.
Pros: Faster paced, more engaging, no need for slow transitions, not so much full holds on chokes anymore, more mechanic based, ults are more impactful, more pick and flank potential.
Cons: Less synergies, no more static positioning, less tactical, less teamplay, few tanks will always outshine the rest, bad tank = auto lose, less peels.

2 Likes

I wish Blizzard would admit their mistakes and go back on terrible decisions but it seems over the course of their whole existence they have never learned that crucial skill.

3 Likes

This is absolutely false.

Being the only tank its your job to control the flow of the tempo. So much of the match depends on a tanks awareness of the fight, who to pressure and calling out which hero to target thats out of place. Knowing when to peel for your backlines vs holding the front. Not only that you need to be fully aware where your supports are and that you are in their LOS.

Knowing when to change your tank (even if your doing well) that synergizes with your team’s build as a whole. As a tank you may be doing well yourself but your supports and dps may not. Its your job as a GOOD tank to make sure you do your best to tilt the favor of the win for your team.

Tanks hold a lot of responsibilities more now than ever.

Thats all true until you come down that you are only playing for yourself. You play like “a big dps” not a tank, not a support, your only job is to be in the front being a menace. You play Hog? You are on the front healing when low hp and landing hooks, the same than before but with more hp. You play Winston or DF? You only can go all in to the enemy backline. Tank Gameplay is 100% the same than a dps and trying to do the basic of peeling your backline most of the time drags you down, its even more dumb than dps now.

Need? No

But there are many players who want 2 tanks back, who want 6v6 back

I disagree, Sigma has always been fun to play in OW1. Winston was also quite fun too in OW1 even though he got melted to hanzo’s storm arrows. Wrecking ball also turned out to be even more unplayable now in OW2 for some reason.

Other tanks like Orisa and Reinhardt are clearly doing much better in 5v5 environment though. Winston hasn’t suffered much from the 5v5 either. So he’s still fun to play in OW2 just as much as he was fun to play in OW1. Although I miss using Primal Rage in 2CP maps during overtime, that felt soo good.

So for me personally, overall I preferred playing Sigma and Wrecking ball in OW1. Winston and D.va are still fun to play in both 5v5 & 6v6. Reinhardt and Orisa is clearly better in 5v5.

Open queue is fun for a while but tanks are so OP that every team seems to have multiple tanks and that’s not much fun either.

I agree myself, I been playing open queue since role queue is just play a healer or wait forever.
i have been having so much fun and some really intresting match ups have been had. I really enjoy the 2 tanks battles compared to closed queues

kiriko to cleanse nade, and ana to nade… is kinda broken bro

This. I’ve been playing D.Va because I can fly back forth and get the kills that the DPS aren’t, but if I leave my team for even a second there’s a good chance they’ll be dead when I get back because they won’t play corners. So I still lose with 40+ kills, 13K DMG, 15K+ MIT, and 3 deaths while DPS are 10/19 with 3K DMG. I’ve tried every tank and if I don’t do everything myself nothing gets done. With the combination of the decreased team size, change to F2P and the influx of brand new players, the pressure on solo tanks to push and yet still protect their team, and these new players’ utter lack of game awareness, for good tanks diving/flanking has become the only somewhat viable strategy in lower ranks because the team won’t group up and DPS usually can’t get kills unless they’re smurfing or also in elo hell. Then that leaves the healers exposed and even a bad DPS can kill a healer if they’re on them long enough. So then the healers are simply healing each other to keep from dying or they’re dps’ing themselves because of the aforementioned reasons. Then the healers die, the DPS die, and the tank is the last to go because everyone ignores them for squishies until the end of the fight. Even Reins and Zaryas just walk past the enemy tank to burst the healers and back out unpunished because, I’ve found, low rank DPS often don’t even bother shooting the tank, especially if they have a shield. Or it’s all they do. There’s never a middle ground in my games. They’re either in the enemy backline refusing to retreat or they’re too afraid to move forward and shooting the biggest thing on the screen. I’m walking across the map giving them cover and they’re still standing at the door peeking around corners. So that leaves me a tank trying to push then getting flamed for backing up to protect my healers because the DPS are god knows where, as usual, or dumping damage into the pocketed Orisa instead of the enemy DPS on their flanks. So then the healers go dps to kill the healers themselves because they know what’s happening. Then that leaves me to die. Then we lose and they call me a bad tank. Playing tank is so much more depressing now. My teammates literally all Leroy Jenkins down the front of the enemy team like they’re invincible, die, then call me a bad tank because I can’t push without them and flame me from spawn. And I’m told I’m the reason I can’t climb as if the core of the game isn’t teamwork. I only have so many bubbles and shields and matrix only last so long. I keep my suicidal DPS alive as long as possible to regroup and watch them charge in alone at 10 health then blame everyone else and call me a bad tank for not going kamikaze. This game has become impossible.

1 Like

No, one tank per side is enough. I’d even say, just right.

This. I’ve been playing D.Va because I can fly back forth and get the kills that the DPS aren’t, but if I leave my team for even a second there’s a good chance they’ll be dead when I get back because they won’t play corners, and there are a lot of corners to play on these new maps. Yet they run into full LOS and die for no reason then complain. A second tank might have kept them protected. So, I still lose with 40+ kills, 13K DMG, 15K+ MIT, and 3 deaths while DPS are 10/19 with 6K DMG. I’ve tried every tank and if I can’t do everything myself nothing gets done. With the combination of the decreased team size, change to F2P and the influx of brand new players, the pressure on solo tanks to push and yet still protect their team, and these new players’ utter lack of game awareness, for good tanks diving/flanking has become the only somewhat viable strategy in lower ranks because the team won’t group up and DPS usually can’t get kills unless they’re smurfing or also in elo hell. Then that leaves the healers exposed and even a bad DPS can kill a healer if they’re on them long enough. So then the healers are simply healing each other to keep from dying or they’re dps’ing themselves because of the aforementioned reasons. Then the healers die, the DPS die, and the tank is the last to go because everyone ignores them for squishies, damage and healing-wise, until the end of the fight. Even Reins and Zaryas just walk past the enemy tank to burst the healers and back out unpunished because, I’ve found, low rank DPS often don’t even bother shooting the tank, especially if they have a shield. Or it’s all they do. There’s never a middle ground in my games. They’re either in the enemy backline refusing to retreat or they’re too afraid to move forward and shooting the biggest thing on the screen. So that leaves me a tank trying to push then getting flamed for backing up to protect my healers because the DPS are god knows where, as usual, or dumping damage into the pocketed Orisa. So then the healers go dps to kill the healers themselves because they know what’s happening. Then that leaves me to die. Then we lose and they call me a bad tank. Playing tank is so much more depressing now. My teammates literally all Leroy Jenkins down the front of the enemy team like they’re invincible, die, then call me a bad tank because I can’t push without them and flame me from spawn. I only have so many bubbles and shields and matrix only last so long. If I try to keep my suicidal teammates alive as long as possible to regroup and watch them charge in alone at 10 health then blame everyone else and call me a bad tank for not going kamikaze, we lose. If I go aggro we still lose with more damage and fewer deaths across the board because my teammates won’t secure the objective. I played a game where a single un-pocketed perma-flanking Genji pushed my entire team back to the end of Circuit Royal because I was the only one with good enough aim to kill him and had to keep turning around. Oh, and my DPS were playing Bastion and Widow, the 2 he counters best. And I’m told I’m the reason I can’t climb. This game has become impossible.

1 Like

i got something to ease the mood