🤔 What is Symmetra's Core Identity and How to Buff her Accordingly

So do beam weapons since Moira and (lesser extent) Zarya are also incapable of dealing damage outside of their range. Sym’s is a beam weapon, and thus fits into this later category (NOT INTO MELEE!).

See above point

They don’t always have their shields up (plus, their shields are quite small in size when not deployed).

She feels not quite protective enough to be a tank (and plus lacks the health for it; all tanks can effectively body-block due to 400+ health).

She still lacks the tank-defining HP along with being spread too thin (see next point).

No I am not, and yes you made my point for me. And that is because she is spread too thin. Look at Brigitte, Mei, Zenyatta, etc; they focus on two categories at most. Symmetra focuses on THREE. As such, she has to be weak across at least two (and at the moment, three) or SUPER niche to be balanced as otherwise she becomes a 2-for-1 Hero. Focus on two roles (Support and DPS; what she started with and probably fits best into), and then she could probably effectively be brought into a balanced state.

Ok, I take the blame for not clarifying this. You keep making the pedantic (and ineffectual) argument that Symmetra is melee, so I demonstrated another example of pedanticness (in this case, what sort of role her Photon Barrier fulfils).

I was focusing on the supporting perspective. Even then, this isn’t that much (Junkrat’s Trap also distracts foes and slows them down, yet it is unlikely to be called a “supporting” ability). While the constant replacement could work, it could also be helpful to buff their health enough so a FLASH-BANG doesn’t wipe out all your turrets.

I’m not saying that much more (say, around the same effective range as Tracer). And as afore mentioned, SHE IS NOT MELEE!

Also deals damage. In addition, it doesn’t change the fact that it is clumsy (while helpful for zoning, it is practically too slow to fire and not big enough explosive range to make it helpful for anything other than busting up slow comps, of which there are barely any).

See above.

Um, aren’t you forgetting somethings called SHIELD GENERATOR and TELEPORTER? Those are also pretty defensive. Plus, instead of trying to move her to a more aggressive style (of which most Heroes can easily fill), she should fill her more defensive role (she should do a better job, but that is what the rebalancing/redesigning should achieve).

I’m not saying she should be as niche as she was back then. However, she should have her own niche (i.e. defence-focused) instead of trying to compete with Heroes established for aggressive plays. It can still work, but she needs to be appropriately designed for it.

How many times do you see Mei’s Ice Wall used to transport more than just Mei? In addition, it is on cooldown for at least 5 seconds (roughly) between uses. This way, it is there on-demand whenever the team needs it. In addition, the perma-barrier is there so when the ramp is unsuitable, she has an alternative ability to use.

Still shares several traits, although perhaps you may be right and it is different enough from Reinhardt’s/Orisa’s barriers.
Still doesn’t make it that much more useful though. In addition, Photon Barrier is the only part of her kit that actually has a heavy focus on attack, while the rest is better suited to defence. This just exaggerates her issue of trying to do too much and being very weak because of it.

all i want is her to have to aim. change whatever else you want.

People mainly complain that she doesn’t do enough supporting to the team outside of her Shield gen. I think maybe giving her a healing/ shield repair turret may help that? Maybe just one or two and she can syill use her old turrets. Like she could have out the 2 supportive turrets and then the 4 main turrets. Maybe put a cap on how much the support turrets can do before they break on their own?

what if they completely reworked her and instead gave her some kinda jumpad thing

it would help a lot with rein/zarya actually being playable, maybe would get her into the owl a bit

1 Like

This is similar to my idea of giving her a ramp. It would certainly help with low-mobility Heroes (Reinhardt, Zarya, Ana, etc.).

What I like about Shield Gen is that it provides a powerful 75 shields bonus and does do over 50m range, and thus provides utility that is comparable to Tele in situations where Tele wouldn’t be as useful.

So First Point Attack/Payload and Last Point on Defense, Tele is likely to contribute less so you can use Shield Gen.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to remove that powerful Ult combo.

I especially don’t think that a 50M range Shield gen is worth trading for a short range and less powerful shield aura.

Symmetra is not that type of hero who focuses on constantly putting shields on allies like Mercy beam or Moire beam.

That’s not what Symmetra does.

Symmetra is a damage dealing support.

Symmetra is not an “Active Support” like Mercy/Moira and Definitely not a “Healer of sorts”.

She doesn’t do any of that, and does not need to do any of that in order to be good.

Having Passive support through Turrets and Ults allows her Symmetra to focus on dealing damage, protecting the backline and using her Photon Barrier, more on that later.

You are trying to make Symmetra into something that she isn’t.

If I take all your abilities and implemented them in a hero, I’d have a brand new hero.

I don’t think your ideas are bad in themselves, I think they are bad when applied to Symmetra because they don’t fit her.

Her Turret utility is already in a good place.

Sentries work as an anti-Lucio speed boost. And they distract enemies to focus the Turrets down, instead of focusing on your allies.

The amount of damage they can do and the amount of slow and distraction they can create is in a good place.

Turrets are Active-Passive hybrid ways that Symmetra supports her team.

She creates a Defensive Grid, a Spider web, around your allies that enemies keep getting stuck in and keep having to tear down.

So giving Symmetra better tools for accomplishing that, ie reduced placement time, reduced cooldown on Sentries, allows her to better support her allies through this webbing that she creates around them.

Symmetra is a SPIDER, she is always creating webs.

So she is actively always creating webs to trap enemies, and when she’s not doing that she is actively supporting via her Photon Barrierand using her gun to damage and zone enemies.

With Photon Barrier, Symmetra is capable of preventing all damage on her whole team with a single E.

And not only that, she can use it for herself and be super aggressive with it and deal more damage.

Symmetra is a damage-dealing support, so removing her Turret damage and slow and removing Photon Barrier for another ability is not a good change for her, and makes her into something that she isn’t.

See my thread on the strengths of thePhoton Barrier -

:laughing:

Moira and Zarya can hit up to 20 and 16 m away respectively. They are mid-range and close-range heroes respectively.

Saying that they also have beam aesthetics like Symmetra to prove that Symmetra’s 7m attack isn’t Melee, is laughable.

Aesthetically, Symmetra is wielding a gun and is shooting a beam but she ultimately is a Melee hero, and should be balanced as a Melee hero.

Her weapon is a Welder, a Melee range heating tool.

Similarly Brigitte’s Whip attack that knocks back even though has aesthetics of a Melee attack, is actually a Ranged Attack.

Symmetra’s Primary has aesthetics of a ranged attack but it actually a Melee attack. Brigitte’s Whip attack has aesthetics of a melee but is actually a Ranged attack.

Don’t get hung up on aesthetics of it.

Try to understand the mechanics of the attacks.

Symmetra being a Melee mechanically, fits well with her Zoning Orbs, Turret Webs, Photon Barrier and Teleporter/Shield Gen.

She is a Spider! Who traps her foes in her Turret webbing and fries them.

She has a Barrier to help her because she is often in Melee range and being a Melee hero is vulnerable to long-range Snipers.

Barrier is great for shutting down Sniper site lines.

She has Tele and Shield gen, both of which allow her to play aggressively, inaddition to the Barrier.

Symmetra is quite well designed as a hero and until you fully grasp her kit and the potential of what it offers, you cannot appreciate the beauty of her design.

I find a lot of suggestions, to her kit, misguided and completely missing the mark.

That’s because Symmetra is not a Pure Tank, rather a Tank-Dps-Support Hybrid, which means she has abilities from all roles.

She is not a Tank, she is not focused on the Tank role.

She has a has an ability that she uses to protect her allies that is classified as a Tanking ability due to its nature.

Ultimately how a hero is classified, has no bearing on how balanced they are.

If Symemtra is imbalanced, then she is imbalanced due to the weaknesses of Sentries and Photon Barrier, not because we classified her as a Tank-DPs-Support hybrid due to the nature of her abilities.

But since Symmetra is a Tank-Dps-Support Hybrid like Torb and Zarya, it makes her unique as a character.

And it’s a bad idea to take that uniqueness away.

I am arguing that just like 5m Hammer and 6m Flail, a 7m beam is a Melee attack so that people understand that a Melee hero should not be given more range as buff.

That’s just a bad way of buffing Melee heroes.

So back to you, what is your pedanticness trying to accomplish here?

Trap is a CC Ability.

Turrets are a Supporting Ability, with some CC. This is because there are enough of the Turrets at any given time to draw enemy fire away from your Team.

If a Flashbang is wiping all your Turrets, then it has successfully punished you for bad Turret placement.

However since Turrets are there to draw enemy fire away from your Team,they can be given slightly more health like perhaps 25 shields, so that they are more resilient to random bullets across the map.

So I am with you when it comes to buffing their HP.

But it is not a necessary buff.

It is not a necessary buff because reducing the Turret cooldown and reducing their cast time, effectively accomplishes the same goal but also makes Turrets a lot more flexible and a lot more mobile.

Once, again it is only clumsy if you misunderstand it’s purpose as a zoning tool and think that it there is for destroying all types of comps.

It is really good in chokes points which there are plenty of, and really good at catching people off-guard in chaotic team fights, which there are plenty of.

Her Shield Generator and Teleporter are stronger on Attack overall.

Teleporter is more effective on Attack due to how far attacking Spawn is. And Shield gen tends to last longer on Attack.

Shield gen has great range and can shield up to 50m away.

So even though they are stationary themselves, the effects they provide are more Offensive in nature.

Unlike Shield Gen, Turrets cannot effect enemies up to 50m away so they are more Defensive.

And that is fine, Turrets should be defensive.

But currently they can feel too inflexible.

When you increase their cast time and decrease their cooldown, you make them more flexible and more mobile and more offensive (as offensive as they can be).

And the reason why we want Turrets be more flexible is 1. to up Symemtra’s power level and 2. allow her webbing to be more flexible, which will help her better in Payload type maps on both Attack and defense.

I disagree with you, where you say she should be a Defense-only hero.

She is already good on Attack, as well as Defense.

Your changes push her backwards in to Defense-only. I can’t agree with that.

That;s like saying - All I want is for Reinhardt to aim. - or - All I want is for Brigitte to aim.

5m , 6m , 7m.

They don’t know what they are talking about.

I think her kit is quite good already. Jump pad sound like a great ability for a new hero though. Doesn’t fit Symmetra’s theme.

Ramp is more fitting for Symmetra’s theme but is not that powerful an ability to replace any of the ones she has, and it’s not an ability she really needs, given her current weaknesses.

Adding a stationary barrier to the Ramp, while makes it a powerful ability, pushes Symmetra back to an FPD bot. so It’s not a good change.

And while Photon Barrier is not perfect, it is miles ahead of these types of changes, and it is exactly the ability she needs.

That said, the only place I can see Ramp being implemented is on the mouse wheel, in addition to Photon Barrier.

Where switching her weapon allows her to construct a Ramp base on two points, and when close enough, these Ramp constructs will manifest a hard-light terrain that you and allies can walk on.

Being a spider in her web pushes her into the defence category with some clumsy support/barely-tanking abilities on the side. She feels like she should be support first, defence second, tank none (see earlier remarks on her being spread WAY too thin). And plus, supporting =/= damaging. Most supports aren’t even that great at damaging with the exceptions of Zenyatta (who has plenty of healing/sabotaging abilities on the side) and Moira (who relies on it to keep up her healing and discourage attackers).
Amusingly, your spider remark seems to fit better with the defensive side than the attack side.

First, see my remarks on her being wrong-role. Second, see my prior remarks on trying to focus WAY too much on semantics. I will still say that she is BEAM, not MELEE. As such, balance it around beam weapons!

This also comes with being spread too thin. At the moment, she is unique for being the only Hero even bothering to try and handle three roles at once AND being pretty shoddy.

Trying to convince you that arguing that focusing too much on semantics is pointless just like my remark on arguing on whether the Photon Barrier ability is support or tank.
After all, SHE. IS. NOT. MELEE. Trying to argue about that “she is close-ranged and cannot attack beyond her maximum range is not because she is a close-ranged beam user but because she is actually a melee Hero like certain club/hammer wielders despite her still being able to punch yet those Heroes being unable to and having the characteristics of beam heroes” is just futile.

Her turrets don’t have that much range. As such, a good flash-bang will wipe them all out unless you are trying to cover multiple regions (speaking from experience, doesn’t work). In addition, one shot from ANY weapon will take them out (and as such makes them a nuisance instead of actually much help). Making them an actual threat will do better. In addition, the Shield turrets will provide a supportive opportunity.

Still makes it clumsier than it could be. Threatening some-one coming through the choke as Mei because she can split them, freeze them, then one-shot them still achieves that purpose, yet is also able to be used in so many other situations.

Still better on defence because her turrets work better on defence and on protecting the Ultimates. Look, they can work on attack, but they work better on defence because she has time to set it up, whereas setting up on attack is tough due to the enemies already being in the region (rarely the case on defence).

She isn’t that great on attack due to the need to set-up; something far easier to do on defence than attack. In addition, applying these abilities right can make her good at defence overall (the long cooldown, long placement time, and general weakness of the turrets are what makes her best as first-point defence at the moment).

“Oh, if only we had a support builder who could make constructs to support her team.”
“That’s right, we have Symmetra who still lacks anything outside of her Ultimate to properly support the team! In addition, she has already been reworked and is really crummy, so this would work perfectly!”
I think that some defence-focused movement-supporting ability would work well in her non-healing support theme.

No. Kill Photon Barrier. It splits her too far. Add this as an alternate construct to a defence-focused non-turret one.

I thought the point of this post is that her core identity (shields and hard light manipulation, in the category of “support” [not necessarily a healer]) lacking in gameplay effectiveness.

If all you want is to buff her existing kit and not do a rework on her, then simply ask for increase in numbers or decrease in cooldowns. It sounds like you don’t like any ideas other than your own, which we are not the developers, so offering an array of brainstorm options is beneficial to brainstorming, but not expected to go directly through. It’s intent is to stir additional ideas.

Now on to your point,

You want to make her viable because you agree she isn’t relevant in today’s meta.

Lets define what she does.

Anti mobility is primarily in the realm of Mei. Sym does have some mobility limiters on her turrets, but not on her primary fire.

Sym also can penetrate shields with her secondary fire.

Sym is a distance control damage dealer, with the intent to punish anyone who gets close by. Increasing damage for sustained proximity to her.

Originally she only had a teleport, and while it can save a point and is game changing sometimes, it was so niche and relied on failure to be effective. Which everyone agrees is not fun. This is similar to Mercy’s original group rez and how she would hide in spawn and run out to flip a team fight. That was not “fun” so they changed it…(another discussion that can go on forever).

Then they added her shield generator, which again is useful, but I am subject to say it is not “enough” to make her viable in the meta. It is limited in application and contribution to the team fight. At most you increased the required hits to kill a target by 1 or 2, depending on headshots and hero picks, versus an active healer that can continuously heal health past what a shield generator provides.

Her impact to a fight is minimal and critical at the same time. She can be devastating in terms of damage if you let her close the gap and continue with a high damage charge, but typical fights see her as under powered.

Increasing her damage I think is a bad idea.
Increasing her range is a bad idea in my opinion as well.

Increasing turret utility is a great idea, but don’t know the best way to do that.

Ultimate adjustments are another good idea, because of how all or nothing they are and the lack of “fun” factor that the overwatch devs like to keep referring to.

Giving her spider like abilites to trap targets is too close to Mei and lacks identity.

I think the biggest focus she could have is in terms of shield manipulation or the “hard light” she controls. Which is why I put forth the idea of shield maintenance with rien, orissa, and brigitte…I’m not really in favor of it, but suggested it in terms of sticking with her identity and providing a buff to her signature characteristics.

What would you do in terms of shields and hardlight for symetra?

Photon barrier is both a tank and support ability, because tanks ARE supports. But just because you have tank abilities, doesn’t make you a tank.

Tanks in OW have high health (at least 400, plus special HP like armor or shields), do most damage at close range, and have tank abilities like CC and damage blocking.

Off-tanks have all of these things but less.

Symmetra fulfils the description of an off-tank hero.

1.) High health: up to 275 hp, with 100-175 of her health being shields at any time, which gives her a LOT of sustain. Don’t believe me? Just look at Ana, who also has 200 hp and a self heal and yet no self-sustain compared to Sym.

2.) Tank abilities: Barrier blocks and even reflects damage, even from ults; Slow (from turrets) is a form of CC

3.) Powerful close range: The infamous primary fire

What pushes Sym over into Support is her ultimates. Similarly, Brig has many off-tank features, yet her healing pushes her into support.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind the shield to have a double charge or shorter cooldown. I wouldn’t mind if the second charge barrier was a bit weaker. I agree on the turret placement range. It needs to be extended a bit to a bit higher than you can get when jumping.

I’m fine with the charge time of her orb launcher, but her orb needs to move faster, because at a distance a Reinhardt with his shield up could have enough time to dodge. It would also help Symm handle snipers, because a scoped widow can dodge and kill you the moment you fire that thing.

I’m fine with everything else though.

My rework, based on personal experience, what I think would be fun and her theme -her play since launch and how she is portrayed in the comics.

First of all, I think all heroes should have all abilities slots, i.e.: LC, RC, Shift, E, Q and passive, preferably 2 passives.

LC: As is. I actually think its ok by itself. Alternatively: Maybe to make it more skill based, LC acts like a whip-hook, you gotta lash an enemy before it latches onto them, kinda like hitting a hook, it could also give recharge your shield while doing so;
RC: I don’t dislike the ranged ball, but it takes so long to charge it and is circumstantial, too circumstantial. I think it should create a bubble, similar to winston’s, halfway smaller, that drains your ammo per second &/or by damage taken;
Passive: I’ve long thought her whole support thing is shielding allies, so better make it a passive. 75 was too much, 25 was too little. having to press E on allies to give shield was also very lackluster. I think she should give 50-75 shields to allies in a certain area;
E: Instead of her moving barrier (which has its uses, but its kinda weird) she now enters a defensive stance (cue lighting energy in front of her) and absorbs a number of damage from attacks in front of her (yes, kinda like reflect/bubble). After absorbing x amount or for y seconds, it throws back an energy ball (exactly like her RC now.;
SHIFT: Her sentries (and ults, more later) have its uses, but it suffers from the same problem as torb’s which is baby sitting syndrom, only worse. Turrets cooldowns are way long and 6 is too high a number to keep it up in a game like OW. She should be limited to maybe 3-4 sentries similar to those in the comics. They’re slightly larger, have more HP and twice the damage. I think a ranged deploy system would work wonders;
ULT: NO PERMANENT ULTs. NO perma ults for any character. baby-sitting is boring. This is not TF2. Hunting gen/tele is boring, baby-sitting gentele is boring, withdrawing from the field to deploy gentele is boring. managing your tele charges is annoying and counter-productive. No. just no.
I admit I havent thought of very good ults but so far anything is better than babysitting. A few possibilities:

1. Pressing Q will allow all sentries to act as portals. Entering a portal will take your to your oldest or newest deployed sentry. A portal will deploy automatically in the spawn;
  2. Q increases passive generation by either: increasing shield provided, increasing aura size or a bit of both;
  3. Q generates a cloak field, shield aura also provide invisibility to allies. Firing or being fired upon temporally deactivates it;

Being able to build bridges or portals to allies or to increase self mobility would also be good. Not sure how to implement it.

I certainly agree with the tanks and supports having similar characteristics (both designed mainly for enabling DPS to do their role better). Personally though, I would say that the high health remark isn’t really valid due to how it buffs EVERYONE’S health, which may actually push Genji into an off-tank role based on those descriptions. The other two are convincing points though (although shields are more for main tanks, but that is mostly irrelevant), although I still stand by my comment that she should be moved away from doing so much so poorly and become more pure defence/support hybrid. She could probably use a bit more supporting as well.

I like her turrets snaring. That is part of her role as a support!

My suggestions would be…
Increase turret placement range to double what it is.
Reduce the cooldown of the recharge (or add ways to speed it up)
Reduce cast time of turrets to .35 seconds working instantly and none of this second delay nonsense.
Add ult charge after placing an ult to use both turrets. 2nd ult cost 3x more then the first.

That or
Increased turret placement range and effectiveness
Increase turret health to 50.
Increase effectiveness of the snaring capability by 3 stacking 2 turrets cap (so she doesnt need a nest to use her powerful snare).

Another suggestion is to add utility to her shield. I personally want a knockback that triggers every 1 second knocking targets back a few distance and adding some damage when enemies hit. This would enable her to give team mates space and get environmental kills in some places.

The point of this post is how to buff Symmetra correctly.

That’s what I have done. Have you read the thread?

Other than the Photon Barrier manipulation, those ideas are not particularly mine, they are shared by other Symmetra mains and have been shared by Top 500, Top 10 Symmetra mains as well.

I shared them because I think these are the correct ways to buff Symmetra.

And that doesn’t mean I don’t like other ideas, I like the idea of a destructible Ult, which is a new addition to this thread and did not previously exist in my 11 Changes to Symmetra - thread.

Someone above you suggested that Ult should be flexible in terms of placement, so it should be placeable on inclines and such. That would be a good QOL buff to the Ult.

Others have suggested Ramps and such, which I think can work in her kit but NOT at the expense of her current abilities.

Of course, in a braintstorm, you must come with all kinds of ideas, but we must also test each idea vs our experience of the hero and the nature of the hero.

The more experience we have of the hero the better.

Those who have put hundreds of hours into Symmetra, will have a different idea of buffing Symmetra, compared to people who barely play Symmetra.

And I am biased towards the former.

No, I think she is viable. She can use QoL changes and Effectiveness Buffs to Turrets and Barriers, and some QoL changes to the Ult.

Agreed.

Teleporter is very powerful.

It is most useful the further you are from the point. So on first point Defense and second point of Attack, Control point and all Payload points.

It can also be effective on First point Hybrid maps, depending on the map. King’s Row I would say is the only map where First Point Attack doesn’t need Tele since spawn is so close. I haven’t played Blizz world yet so no comments there.

It can also be effective on Second Point of Defense in those cases where you need an alternative, unpredictable spawn path to the point. Like in Horizon Lunar Colony, Defender spawn is very close and normally you’ll have Shield Gen but sometimes, it is beneficial to place the Tele on the high ground and give the Defenders a better chance to Defend the point.

Giving 75 HP to all members of your team, that is 450 HP is very powerful.

It is not comparable to a healer actively healing your team.

The Shield Generator

• buffs your total amount of HP, so you can fall out of lethal headshot range of some heroes, and others need to hit more to kill you, as you say.
  • It also spans a large area of the map, so it reaches your Flankers whom Healers cannot reach. For Tracer it is a 50% HP increase, and her Genji and Sombra can all make very good use of it without having LoS with the healers.
  • it is a passive, so once Set-up, its utility is on-going and it allows you to do other things, and stack the amount you are contributing to your team.
  • it is an on-going Ult, so it is ALWAYS contributing, in all team fights in which it is up.

So Both Teleporter and Shield Generator are powerful Ults.

This is why I say they do not need a single buff.

Being able to perform self-initiated refund of Ults and other QoL changes like flexible placement, being able to ping the location of Ult to team - these are good changes.

But other than that Ults are in a good place, and it is her Turrets and Barrier that should be the primary targets to buff, if there are going to be buffs.

As for fun, the Ults create Secondary Points of Contention, which create a lot of fun gameplay around them.

Symmetra is like a RTS hero translated to an FPS. She is quite unique to Overwatch.

Her idea of fun is strategy and building things in certain places to make certain things happen.

Her idea of fun is to direct the follow of battle through Secondary Fire, Turrets and Teleporter.

No. Her impact in a fight ramps up when the enemy invades your position.

Which is the opposite of someone like Tracer, who brings the fight to the enemy.

Symmetra Lv3 Beam is like her Third Ultimate. It increases her direct imapct on the fight.

But you don’t need Lv3 Beam in order to have an impact.

Your Lv1, Lv2, Orbs, Turrets, and Barrier give you a decent fight and support for your team.

Then once you have Ult, you are constantly reinforcing the backbone of your team in addition to the above.

Agreed.

What do you think about the suggestions I listed?

Symmetra already has this as part of her identity. She puts up turrets that slow enemies and creates multiple targets for enemies to shoot down or else they are slowed and take damage.

Her Turrets are already a Spider web and should be buffed accordingly. ie should be faster to cast and be available much more frequently.

Mei slows but she doesn’t weave Turret webs for the enemy to tear down.

She already has enough shield and hardlight in her kit. Her buffs should aim to improve what is already there.

Good analysis Shinypants.

Funny you say that because in the OW the more Flankers you have the less Tankiness you need on your team. :wink:

I think the movespeed on the Orb is fine.

If it was faster it would be broken, as you point out how Rein would not be able to dodge it while shielding.

If Rein could never dodge your orbs then he would be pulling his hair out. it is not easy to kill a Symmetra in the backline so he would be driven to madness with your fast moving 125 damage dealing, shield piercing orbs.

It would be a broken ability if it was faster.

You would have to nerf its damage to balance it with the speed, and I personally don’t think it’s worth the trade.

And I also want to add that it is totally possible to spam that at Widow and hit her and maker her retreat. Widow has a very narrow site line and you can stand at off-angles and discourage her from sniping your team with your secondary orb.

With your photon barrier you can block her Line of sight and discourage her that way.

Symmetra-Widow matchup used to be heavily in Widow’s favour. But with the Photon barrier that has changed and Symmetra now has tools to defend herself from Widow’s onslaught.

Her Photon Barrier is awesome.

See my other thread where I discuss its awesomeness-

Interesting way of looking at it. I was just saying that Genji would be pushed into a tanking category under that definition if Symmetra fits into it as well because of the 275 health with Shield Generator (plus Brigitte can further boost it to 325), Dragon Blade is close range (plus his Swift Strike and Shurikens are better for close-mid range instead of long range), and Deflect is close to a tanking ability (due to blocking damage).

Symmetra or any character in the game are defined by what they give to the team, and symmetra provides the following: damage ( situational) , reduce enemy speed, give extra shield health, and teleportation (ult)

Then after the rework they changed it so shield giving is now only ult , but add a blocking ability

My suggestion is to give her back her value of shield giving to her normal abilities even at the cost of her barrier

One suggestion is the ability to build a different type of turret the provide 25 shield to nearby allies for each turret and is counted towards her 6 turrets limit ( obviously the range should be less than shield gen but still not too short)

That way you can choose to to mix between the slowing turrets or the shield ones with a Max of 150 shield if all are shield turrets ( will be hard to make the overlapping ranges of these turrets to focus on one area to get that maximum 150 shield )

1 Like

Deflect might as well be a Tanking ability due to how large its hitbox is. :joy:

Near Melee Damage from Primary Fire

• she can participate in brawls with your tanks in the front line and can repel flankers and other annoyances away from your Healers in the bacline

Zoning and Area Control from Secondary Fire

• it’s a slow-moving, high-damage projectile that zones in linear paths
  • it can penetrate barriers, so the more Barriers you see in a game the stronger Symmetra is against them.

Area Control and Attracting Enemy Attention and Fire with Turrets

• Symmetra’s Turrets are like a spider-web that she is constantly weaving around her allies
  • when enemies step into them they are slowed and take damage
  • they must then tear down these webs so that they are not continuously slowed and taking damage

Burst Damage and CC Prevention

• Symmetra’s Photon Barrier prevents her and her allies from taking Burst damage
  • Photon Barrier also acts as a pre-emptive Cleanse that allowes Symmetra prevent her allies from being CCed

Enhanced Mobility

• Symmetra’s Teleporter enhances the mobility of your team and allows them to get to the point extremely fast
  • Works really well the the point is far from your spawn

Enhanced Health

• Symmetra’s Shield Gen enhances the health points of your team so that they fall out of lethal headshot range, and can take more hits before they die
  • Symmetra’s Shield Gen is like a 450 HP tank on your team

Other notes -

• Shield gen and Turrets together, make things very annoying for enemies as they have to shoot at additional targets and have to damage additional health in order to kill your team.

• Barrier adds to this by blocking burst damage and CC and prevents your Team from Dieing.

• Teleporter reinforces the backbone of your team and reinforces it constantly.

Symmetra brings a lot of Utility with her and does not need additional skills to provide even more utility. That is just over-doing and loading up a hero for now reason.

• She just simply needs to be tweaked in numbers so that she can output a greater power level.

Yup! :laughing:
20ch

Her character identity is control.

Her abilities don’t represent that

Make her turrets heal and kill