There's a Mars Colony now?

At Blizzcon, the Devs said that the Season 12 Support Hero, Codename: Space Ranger, is from the Mars Colony.

And I thought the Moon was Weird Enough…

6 Likes

Overwatch debuted with the tagline “Soldiers, scientists, adventurers, oddities” apart from winston, roadhog and wrecking ball, among the oddities we would have seriously risked having aliens as that zarya skin :thinking:. maybe they wanted someone decently normal who could be classified as an “extraterrestrial”. :sweat_smile:

ironies aside, going back to talking about space is not a flaw, but must serve as an opportunity to finally help the lore of Lucheng Interstellar (too ignored / in the background) and even more importantly for Sigma, whose lore is perhaps the worst of all in terms of further reading outside of his bio on the website. it might be useful to make him a space detective investigating the lunar colony incident and the Sigma incident.

Whether we want to fantasize about colonies on Mars is not a problem (remember futurama?) But there is a rather obvious question: what should a space ranger do on Mars in the future of Overwatch? What threat would she have to fight from space to define her role? it’s very difficult as an answer because it can be against alien life forms (starcraft and moira fans are getting excited about extraterrestrial biological existence) or against other. this last part could be nice as an introduction to new types of omnic and space programs, but it could also be seen as a recycling of d.va’s space-themed lore (and the cute girl concept design doesn’t help to make the difference) :grimacing: so we accept alien threats?

I have one last theory that I think would be more interesting: making this space ranger a VILLAIN. Maybe she gave herself this title of space ranger. Maybe the Mars colony exists only for her, as her personal space base. Maybe she is the cause of the malfunctions of the lunar horizon colony. Maybe she could have had a role in the Sigma accident. Perhaps she returns to Earth to plan an invasion or take personal revenge on Earth’s inhabitants. And maybe, finally, we can have a new healer villain alternative to the usual Moira. I know it’s an absurd hypothesis because on appearance he wouldn’t seem like a villain. but I like her more than the usual cute girl who is part of the good characters.

And its even more odd since in the lore they state that theres still no humans on Mars and Horizon wants to be the first to send a human to Mars and thats the lore of the Lijiang map in the present. So they’ve just pulled a Kiriko again.

Except if they go with the usual “Lost and hidden colony untouched by the fall of humanity” like others do.

3 Likes

Im’ currently reading Overwatch : Declassified, and just so you know, Lucheng Interstellar didn’t want to stop to the Moon and Mars for their space exploration.

Horizon Lunar Colony was welle established before the Omnic Crisis (Sigma spent a year there before the crisis).

I don’t know if Lucheng and space will be mentionned later (probably with Winston story) so i’ll keep you updated on that Mars Colony.

3 Likes

Thats fair. I know that Doom has a spawn interaction about it. Something like “Lucheng was right. We are vulnerable until we live on a singular planet”. But i hope they say something about the Mars colony because as far the lore goes there isn’t any.

1 Like

Actually it isn’t so much. Overwatch 2 take place in 2076+ and with the Horizon Lunar Colony, I was wondering for a years if we’ll get a map on Mars. NASA is planning a new mission on the Moon around 2026 (we’ll see if they make it) and for now, there’s no mission planned on Mars before 2040, so I might think it’s a bit coherent. I see where you’re going because Overwatch is a Earth-based story. Now, we know there’s a colony on Mars. I’m asking some questions about the character: Was he born on Mars? What purpose? We must wait season 12 release to know more about it (so like June 2024). Anyway I can’t wait to see more.

Personnally, I’m excited because I love space. But I agree, it’s weird when we know that Overwatch is a Earth-based story.

right, the French edition came out before the English version on Kindle (I’m Italian, I’ll have to wait until November 7th :sweat_smile:). sorry for the OT, but is it good for re-setting the overwatch world and order of events? does it at least define a timeline as “10 years ago” or just a generic episode of events?

The timeline still doesn’t have proper dates, sorry! But you still have a lot of event in some windows of time that can help set a better timeline, like, Sigma spent a year on Horizon before the Crisis, that kind of stuff.

The book is really good, and definitely is a must have!

2 Likes