Theory: The devs are basing design choices on paladins

I played overwatch and paladins at around the same time in autumn 2023. I just returned to overwatch to find that several mechanics from paladins have found their way into this game since then.

In the paladins item shop there was an upgrade called cautize. It was so popular it was made into a game mechanic called antiheal. The effect is Your Weapon shots reduce the effect of healing on your target for 1.5s. While the effect in paladins starts stronger and increases over the course of the match, it sounds a lot like the dps passive.

In paladins there are no health packs. Instead there is “Out of Combat” health regen, if a player doesn’t shoot, deal or take damage for 5 seconds they quickly heal back to full. While the support passive existed by the point I first played overwatch, now everyone gets health regen after not taking damage for 5 seconds.

The hitboxes in paladins are larger, so overwatch made projectiles bigger.

Another mechanic in paladins is talents. A choice between 3 upgrades that may dramatically affect how you play the character. The 3 available talents are unique to each hero. I suspect the quickplay hacked is blizzards way of testing the water before bringing the concept into overwatch. People are already asking for hero specific passive options.

Considering that the devs have been recycling assets in order to keep up with their battle passes, playing similar games to see what works might be the easiest way for them to innovate.

1 Like

It’s always been like this, it’s just that people look at Paladins and assume that they copied OW, despite the fact that there is no evidence of that and if you investigate a little you realize that that is a lie.

1 Like

It was less popular and more necessary cause paladins also has perks that increase the amount of healing one can recieve as well as reducing cooldowns. This made it so if your team lacked any cauterize and the enemy had max rejuvenate or chronos then it was a major uphil battle.

3 Likes

They both copy from each other, most notably the hero abilities, simple as that. Doesn’t matter which one is older as new heroes to each game are somewhat copied by each one.

The passive regen is in most every game, not something they really copied as it’s just popular in the FPS genre in general.

The projectile size changes were to help with burst dmg and one shot combos, we had net global buffs to HP and proj size. Not something I would say is directly correlated or inspired by Paladins as their hitboxes and proj sizes are just wayyyy more forgiving.

Talent trees are another thing that’re kinda just in a lot of games, so I don’t really think pickable passives are inherently inspired by Paladins alone. Any top down moba can be an example of this.

From what you said, I would say the dps passive is the only thing I can actually see being inspired by Paladins and Paladins alone. I’m sure some of the current passives in the QP Hacked may be inspired from Paladins though.

1 Like

These types of mechanics are really not all that uncommon, especially in class-based games. Passives, talents, etc have been around for a long time, so when you have two games that are already quite similar, I don’t think it’s going to be very surprising when you see a lot of overlap in game mechanics. I think people read too much into the whole “X copied Y from Z!” thing.

1 Like

If you strip all the abilities from every hero except double jump from Genji, turret from Torb, and stealth and hack from Sombra, you literally have a TF2 clone. Those abilities are what sets OW apart from TF2 and gives players more choice in what they can play.

Unlike Overwatch with the crappy DPS passive, everyone can apply caut, but only with primary fire. I’d much prefer it that way. Also, yeah, there are a multitude of items (damage reduction, anti-caut, extra hp, less cc effectivity, etc…) to level the playing field against counters, again, unlike Overwatch. They need to stop forcefully jamming individual Paladins concepts into the game because it doesn’t work without the entire same system in place.

This definitely isn’t a bad thing imo. Personally I think that Paladins executes the mechanics of a moba/shooter hybrid much better than OW does, Paladins is just ugly and full of bugs. If Paladins looked like OW I would probably be playing it because I love the way the game works.

1 Like

Building a sentry. :eye::lips::eye:

Been saying that since they anounve 5v5.healing passive was a great adition
Now just give us talents instead of these halfassed pickable role passives

1 Like

I refuse to believe that.

If they copied Paladins, they would at least get one thing right once in a while.

3 Likes

They are definitely trying to make OW a paladins game since the start of OW2.

However they are very bad at that and it may be because they play and understand that game even less than their own.

2 Likes