Theory: Gerard faked his death to be a Talon's Mastermind

Gerard’s death was never detailed. Perhaps he went to defect Overwatch to Talon but “leaving the scene” as a hero, so he arranged for Amélie Lacroix (Widowmaker) to be kidnapped and brainwashed (just to be sure she wouldn’t back out), being “rescued” later to supposedly killing him but in fact she faked his death. So she went to Talon to be their full-time operative, but Gerard remained in the shadows, changed his identity to carry out his own plans with Talon.
Widowmaker knows about his switcheroo and remains loyal to Talon to serve her husband. But she misses him for not having more time together with him and resents not being able to have a normal life anymore.

A bit dark storyline, but seems plausible to me.

1 Like

While Gerard was killed offscreen, Talon went through massive hoops specifically to kill Gerard. He was shown to us escaping assassination pure just luck (surviving the Blackwatch HQ Explosion.) They had to kidnap his wife, recondition her into an assassin, and then have her kill her husband in his sleep from who he would least suspect while he cannot fight back.

Not only does him being a “Talon Mastermind” invalidate the entire existence of Widowmaker, there is nothing to suggest he is alive, and his value of being another false Overwatch death that bled into Talon would not add anything to the story. Likewise, if Gerard wasn’t dead, then Widowmaker visiting his grave and defending his memory to Ana would not make sense if he were alive still.

8 Likes

Perhaps Widowmaker does not know Gerard would still be alive!? Mastermind Gerard could use his “death” as a clutch to her guilt or remorse to keep her loyal to Talon.

1 Like

Considering she’s the one who killed him (and would probably have made sure), she definitely knows he’s dead.

4 Likes

Yeah, most likely she knows he’s dead, otherwise she wouldn’t have visited his grave, right? Though I am not certain she remembers she killed him, nor remembers what was done to her. Maybe after returning to Talon her mind was further reconditioned (Poor Amelie :cry:)…
Anyway, just speculations from me, no harm done to be wrong.

1 Like