The Yokai squad

I know some of you guys are really excited for the MEKA squad but I’m a Yokai squad stan, all of these guys could be heroes and I’m all for it. Also a tweet about the folklore inspiration for them

3 Likes

The Yokai squad is pretty cool. I really hope they consider making these guys playable with time because to me they all seem much more diverse and prob will have more unique kits than the meka squad

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the problem I have with the MEKA squad… it’s all just mechs, yeah you can have them be different roles, but I just think it would be really clunky because they’d all basically be tank sized. Also the possibility of multiple different mechs just seems boring to me.

2 Likes

Agreed. They can try to make the mechs different, but it’s all gonna be very samey sooner or later. I feel like the Yokai squad while clearly sharing a theme can all stand on their own much better since they aren’t tied to something so restricting. Ideally, we’ll get both but my fingers are crossed for the Yokai squad :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I too would prefer the Yokai squad over the MEKA not that I don’t want to see them because I do. I just think it would be fun to play with more of the Japanese folktale characters.

1 Like

Well they said that Kiriko was some kind of PvE boss. Looks like we could see them in PvE now or as characters in the future.

Dmon’s plasma sword isn’t unique enough?

• wise words from an angry dmon stan
1 Like

To be fair her plasma sword is pretty cool! a lot of the mechs don’t have bad designs, I just worry if hero design wise they might run into similar problems connected to being mech heroes who I’m gonna assume have the same de mech ability as dva since we know ow devs don’t mind reusing passives as long as they fit the character’s background/lore like Kiriko with wall climb

2 Likes

Yeah it’s understandable.
I expect she would at least have the same eject mechanic given the two are intended to be similar down to the name.

All other mech characters definitely shouldn’t have it.

2 Likes

Me just sitting here knowing no one from either squad will become a hero :popcorn:

1 Like

Same! I’m yokai squad as well!! I need theae characters to become playable characters than lame meka squad :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I wouldn’t mind getting that oni male with a red mask and jacket as a hero :drooling_face::drooling_face: plz blizzard i NEED HIM!

Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby

1 Like

I mean, one of them is already a skin so

Love the tankui guy’s design.
I don’t think the game really has that much room for a sniper-tank, but big goggles + puffy jacket armor + massive crossbow looks like a sniper tank to me.

I have nothing against the Japanese culture or anything but I just hope Overwatch didn’t choose this path (with Kiriko’s lore) just to attract a specific community.

The weeb culture is not really my cup of tea (I hope the term “weeb” is not pejorative, as I said, I know very little about Naruto and stuff like this), and I hope upcoming heroes will be more OW universe related.

Kiriko seems cool as a character and her abilities fit Overwatch but her lore doesn’t have anything to do with the futuristic game Overwatch always was. We’ll see how it goes in the future.