THE WORST MATCHMAKING EVER! i'm out

the irony of this statement is that we can no longer act dynamically as a team because of 2-2-2

2 Likes

Not entirely true. You end up losing to worse and worse teammates if you go on a win streak. Its how the matchmaker is designed for some reason.

4 Likes

Then why does it give me new players that recently purchased the game to play on my team against 5 stack teams that probably all in voice chat while all my Dps are new players that where placed higher than their actual rank thanks to the placement system that will also give you new players that are on their way to bronze because they were carried by their friend and now they play solo & i happen to be in their path to bronze to drag me down their ranks ?

1 Like

Oh, my bad. I didn’t realize you were getting new players that recently purchased the game to play on your team against 5 stack teams that probably all in voice chat while your Dps are new players that where placed higher than their actual rank.

Based on this new evidence, I think we can definitely now agree that the matchmaking system uses some kind next gen AI to single out certain players and provide them with other players that it has identified as “bad”, while grouping all of the good players together against that those certain players, making it impossible for them to win. For… reasons?

2 Likes

I dont care about bad or toxic players on my team , i dont like New players who dont even know the map or what feeding is .

My theory is that the matchmaker finds a potential match by picking players around the same SR, then divides them across teams to make it as even as possible based on projected performance from individual players(MMR). This means that even if the match is made of 12 people at your SR, if you’re performing better than the average of the lobby, your remaining team members will total out to below the average of the lobby to even it out. If it were linear, this wouldn’t be a big problem.

But, given how much impact a single thrower or smurf can have, performing a bit above average can result in you being paired with more throwers, new players, and against more smurfs. This has a drastic impact to the actual result of the game, even if blizzard’s internal numbers don’t realize the impact of those players.

I go into more detail on this idea here, using objective points rather than speculation or anecdote:

Please note that this is just a theory, and while I feel I’ve done a decent job substantiating it, there is no more proof that it is true than there is that the inverse is true. Without Blizzard being open about it, we really can’t know for sure.

4 Likes

, while grouping all of the good players together against that those certain players, making it impossible for them to win. For… reasons?

For the simple reason that players within a team are not going to be perfectly balanced. So who should be the top and bottom outlier on the team? I would chose the player thats on a win streak as the top outlier with increasing weight - it makes statistical sense.

Unfortunately that means the win-streaker will get balanced out with increasingly worse players relative to himself.

If you have never experienced how your teammates get increasingly worse the longer your winstreak lasts - then you just haven’t pushed hard enough or carried any game.

2 Likes

So if I don’t believe that the game is out to get me, I’m not good at it?

That last statement is my biggest problem with MM. Why the heck should people have to continually carry worse opponents when this is a team based game? I’m tired of being on a win streak only to have to pull my hair out to carry two off tanks (Zarya/Hog/Ball who doesn’t dive backline) vs Widow/Rein/Zar. If people on are a loss streak then don’t stick them with win streakers to try and carry.

1 Like

They won’t. The way it works is best to describe it as having a 2/12 chance of being the best player on one of the teams. If you have the top 2 mmr in the lobby, then you will have teammates the game inherently thinks are worse then you.

1 Like

It is a series of lines of code. It does not “think” anything.

“Thinks” as in have lower mmr than them. Not that hard to understand.

1 Like

So if I don’t believe that the game is out to get me, I’m not good at it?

You got it - although I think the devs would put it differently.

Their primary focus is to balance the teams against each other for a 50/50 chance to win for each team. They achieve this by matching up players who can be far and wide apart even to the point of sometimes having players from three brackets in the same team. So obviously balancing players within the team is secondary. You will experience getting carried or having to carry.

That would be fine if the experience of getting carried or having to carry was random - unfortunately win and losing streaks shows that it is not. If it was me it would design the algorithm to throw in some artificial randomness to make the players think it is balanced and fair within the team - if I couldnt actually create that effect for real.

I think we can all appreciate that creating an algorithm that balances the game team vs team is hard enough.

2 Likes

I’ve been saying this for five years. Their matchmaking system is utterly broken and they’ve never prioritized a fix. Sad.

1 Like

This is exactly what a lot of us have been saying for years, and it matches perfectly with what i see over and over in this game.

Blizzard probably thinks it was smart to make every single match as even as possible by handicapping the teams. I mean, this is how kids make fair teams in elementary school playground sports.

BUT… over time, the OW players become frustrated due to a system that is essentially rigged. No wonder it’s a toxic mess.

4 Likes

Well i don’t belive that there is " forced win / lose " in this game… I agree if you win 4-5 easy games then you will get bit harder games and it’s not to “force” you lose, it is for your own good to check your skills. Also even with 50/50 if you are in your right rank you will steady glimb up by winning more Sr from wins than losing Sr from losts. Also how do you explain that i have 70% win rate as Reinhardt ( 30 wins / 13 lost ) and 80% win rate as Zarya ( 18 wins / 5 lost ) which are my most played heros at this season, yeah i play tank role, if there is " forced 50/50 "? I agree that some of games have been “unwinable” but do you really think thay matchmaker knows how players will act in this game? I hope best of luck to you and also calm down.

1 Like

The matchmaker does this because his stats don’t look good in the eyes if the MMR gods.

Have you never wondered why bronze to GM streams always give the GM streamer such easy AF games the majority if the time? The matchmaker is pushing them upwards because their stats are so high.

2 Likes

Maybe the games are easy because they know how to play the game well?

1 Like

I agree that the matchmaking system ruins a lot of the fun and with no way to vote to end a game, the player has no power when placed in a bad match. They need to do something to make the experience feel better. Regardless of whether the matchmaker is working as intended or not, it can ruins players’ experiences and sour them to the game.

Clearly you have never smurfed.

2 Likes