The thing about Mercy's character

Now this isn’t a buff or #ReworkMercy post, but it’s a discussion about her character and the use of her Pistol in game and in her story.

Many people seem to detest the fact that Mercy has infinite ammo in Valkyrie and some question why some Mercy mains use her pistol in-game for more than picking off a 20hp flanker that just tried to kill you.

Let me explain what I think about this when it comes to the clash of lore and gameplay in Overwatch.
While it isn’t exactly optimal, hero balance in this game from what I’ve seen pretty much alligns with their personality, background, and past in the lore.
Mercy is no different. She started as a young scion in the medical industry and joined overwatch as a peerless doctor and guardian angel, and then when of age became a Combat Medic to assist her friends on Overwatch missions until the prestigious organization was brought to a halt and shut down.
People often question Mercy having infinite ammo in Valkyrie and why the devs have encouraged battle Mercy’s to battle a they please because Mercy, or Angela Ziegler, is a strong advocate for peace. More simply put, a pacifist.
This is true, but what people need to understand is that being an advocate for peace means you’re willing to do anything to obtain and maintain said peace, and being a pacifist does not mean you’re a doormat that just rolls over and dies mid-battle. Mercy can be both a pacifist and strong advocate for peace and still battle out her enemies to keep them off her team mates.
For Jeff’s sake, she even has a voice line after getting a multi-kill where she says “I’m not Angel.”

This is my stance on the matter. Feel free to do with it as you please. I know it’s probably too much to ask for you to discuss this civilly, as this is the Overwatch Forums. I can’t even believe people even know what a pacifist is on this website.

3 Likes

yeah i think the “mercy shouldnt attack she doesnt like it uwu” view point is holding her back, especially since she doesnt have much to compensate (her healing is much lower than moira’s and ana’s and they both put out much more damage and ana has huge utility )

Marry me.

But all jokes aside yes, I agree with you 100%

1 Like

I mean…even MSF have firearms on them when they are in dangerous areas because A. they have to protect their patients and B. they are still in a warzone, they have to protect themselves

Everyone that replied to this post is a lore addict. “mercy is a pacifist”
“the lore!”
“Mercy should never use her pistol, it breaks the very LAWS of her timid, pacifistic, harmless nature”

Like come on i use pistol a ton in game already as a high masters/gm mercy player. MAKE MERCY A DPS!

Mercy is a pacifist… Yep just like Zenyatta.

The thing is, she has a pistol, “but is for her self defense” come on Symmetra is against caos, Lúcio fights for freedom, Mei is a pacific cientist that want to save billions of people, but they are not pacifists right? Just let Mercy be more than a +1 on the team, why she can get the medals for kills and damage if she doesnt do it?

1 Like