The State Of Overwatch Discussion

I would love to hear how everyone honestly feels about the state of overwatch currently in 2021.

I grew up on like N64 ā†’ Xbox 360 console games where DLC never existed. If you wanted new content you waited like 3-5 years before another release happened. You got used to either replaying the same content or just taking a break and playing other stuff. Even waiting like 8-10yrs for a sequel to a game series I liked that stopped making stuff and never even knew if it was coming or not. Not dedicating your life to one game and one game only.

With that in mind, OW is pretty stable to me with a ~year of no new maps or heroes. Just pure 3-5week interval experimental all designed to balance the game. No high turbulence thrown in with a new hero no one has really optimized yet. Game is still fun to me because I just play casually in QP.

5 Likes

I bought a can of baja blast. I regret buying it.

Iā€™m blown away by just the absolute little to no communication that a developer has with their active user base. This is my first Blizzard game and the complete radio silence for months and months along with taking 3-4 to do simple BALANCE PATCHES is absolutely unreal to me.

Right now Overwatch feels to me like a Kmart. It was king back in itā€™s day and it has it die hard shoppers, but thereā€™s no new shoppers coming in. People who shopped at Kmart just know it and love it no matter what happens. Meanwhile, new stores open around it that continue to grow. You hear people say ā€œyou still shop there? I didnā€™t even know they were still open.ā€ The store just sits stagnate like a relic from another day.

Nothing new to bring in new people, nothing changing, just sitting idle waiting to die.

9 Likes

The two things that keeps me playing:

• Winston
  • cosmetic voice lines

honestly? I donā€™t find the game horrible, it has a good quality in aesthetics (especially the skins), they do what they can despite having to keep the usual 32 heroes and letā€™s say that ā€¦ without being too extremist there are very few numbers to upset by now. but the sense of abandonment is very evident. any kind of revolution refers to the sequel / rework of the game. I can understand if my claim to fix bugs or a feature on Diablo 2 is being rejected because it is coming resurrected ā€¦ but here we are at the point that OW1 does not deserve to be kept because ā€œOW2 will fix everythingā€. I find it very demoralizing towards those who remain. I have not seen any real measures to improve any type of system, which passes only as primordial testing (priority pass, crossplay). and let the user create the entertainment themselves, but there has not been much attention to providing an ideally searchable manual, and relying only on the suggestions of the experts is difficult if you get lost in a thousand discussions over time.

I think there are two reasons why they donā€™t update OW2 like Diablo 4 (quarterly and regular):

• keep oW1 stable in the e-Sport. I seriously think they donā€™t want to divulge too much info on how Ow2 is forming so as not to make the retrograde state of Ow1 too obvious, which might look boring after over a year of only 32 heroes. quondi prefer to make the game seem stopped rather than communicating to us exactly how many functions have been added to the point that we are not interested in OW1 even in the e-sport show.
  • fear of the skeptical community. we must admit that today there is not the same enthusiasm as in the past. probably the most concrete people have moved on to other games because they are waiting for Ow2 doing something else and maybe when it comes out they will come back and appreciate everything, including what they have been missing. instead, those who have remained have brought so much hype to the point of feeling it rot over time, to the point that the small addition will never be enough. heā€™s just angry, and in some ways heā€™s right. there has been too much time of silence and the recent scandal does not help. Blizzsrd can show all the updates it wants, but it will always be attacked by ā€œhurry upā€. and if this happens it is also Blizzardā€™s fault and the way he left Ow1, even by disappearing in the forum communications (the orange ones).

every question is answered with ā€œOw2ā€ and this makes the community very bitter about the existence of Ow2. it will be a necessary product, but that makes it utterly obnoxious before it is even completed or finished. maybe a lot will change their minds when it arrives, but let us always remember that the greater the wait, the greater the criticism will be on small things, exponentially magnifying them more than they should.

1 Like

Considering Overwatch is over 5 years old and stopped receiving new heroes over a year ago Iā€™d say the game is pretty damn great. I play just about every hero so having 32 unique awesome heroes to choose from makes Overwatch still one of my go-to games

Overwatch 2 is going to make the game explode back into the spotlight and I canā€™t wait :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Playing Overwatch is fun when mixed in with playing other games and going to the gym and walking in the hills and visiting friends and relatives and going shopping and Costa Coffee with the large salted caramel creamy thing and KFC and trolling the forums.

less players more smurfs and the content has been the same for the past 2 years.

Just like reforged did, right? :joy:

4 Likes

Was it supposed to? I always thought that would be a pretty niche game primarily for players of the original.

Similar to the remastered Diablo 2. I never played the original so I likely wonā€™t pick that one up either. I am looking forward to D4 though

And who do you think OW2 is intended for? New players?

2 Likes

New and returning players.

The PvE side will bring in some new players who might try the PvP side too.
Those who didnā€™t buy OW & feel like itā€™s too late to jump into it might be willing to give it a shot with OW2.
Those who liked OW but quit because of certain metas or heroes might pick it back up again with all the new stuff being added and balance changes being made

I think OW2 having a huge influx of new & returning players is guaranteed. The only question is how many stay and for how long.

I still have a lot of fun playing, especially since Iā€™ve been grinding a lot of comp lately.

I really donā€™t mind the lack of content at all.

(Probably because I came from TF2, so Iā€™m used to getting literally zero content :weary:)

Why is it so warm? Well, the Earth is tilted on its axis thanks to a planetary collision five billion years ago!

3 Likes

Exactly lol. Iā€™ve played a bunch of games including TF2 that received very little if any content for years so this whole ā€œlack of contentā€ idea is funny to me :laughing: Overwatch got a ton of free content post launch. OW not getting much DLC after 5 years isnā€™t really all that disappointing/surprising especially considering theyā€™re focusing on OW2 now

1 Like

It is subjective but i STILL find this the most enjoyable online fps shooter to play. or anything that is a hero shooter. i like paladins too now and have been playing that a bit. i just cant get into battle royales anymore. i tried splitgate for a bit but it just made me want to go back and play overwatch again lol

It died with Jeffā€™s departure. Overall Overwatch is a great history lesson. As a business owner, one really doesnā€™t want to lose creative control over the IP, not to staff members, not to twitter CMs. As an IP owner the greatest threat isnā€™t some guy in his basement drawing fanart or some newcomers copying your game design aesthetics, it is your own employees.

If a business fails to crush rogue employees like dirty bugs quickly, they will multiply and then you end up in a no-win situation, you canā€™t fire them, and it is difficult to onboard replacements quickly enough to not have a power vacuum.

This whole mentality everyone wins, come join us!!! dogpoo, total poopy poopy wishy washy thinking. All you end up with is a bowl of food that got processed in a washing machine. I plan to make my own game company soon, all this free knowledge is incredibly insightful to avoid fatal mistakes.

I grew up on games with my first console being the NES, I remember gears of war 1 releasing a dlc pack and being confused like wait we get more maps for free.
I enjoy this game as is and dont need new stuff, Iā€™ll continue to play it until something new comes along I like or ow2 hits.

1 Like

Itā€™s whatever

No content to care about
Itā€™s hard to care about story bc thereā€™s no story since Zero Hour was shown

Iā€™m just casually playing arcade modes because I still have fun, and waiting for OW2 which is what I really want

I havenā€™t played the game in months, utterly fed up with it. Well technically thatā€™s not true, I actually did try to get the Winston skin from the event couple weeks back and I couldnā€™t get through it, game was worse than before.

Thereā€™s too much CC, lots of problematic burst damage spikes need to be nerfed, thereā€™s too much CC, thereā€™s no content, thereā€™s too much CC and then there was the Blizzard stuff that puts bolts in my stomach.

Oh also thereā€™s too much CC.