The Soldier Changes don't actually address why he has been bad

sick reading comprehension

You called him bad. I said he isn’t bad.

That’s about it buddy.

1 Like

He is bad and has been bad for a variety of reasons

1 Like

He isn’t bad.

He isn’t bad like other characters that actually need buffs.

His counterparts and other hitscans are just too strong.

Very big difference.

He doesn’t need buffs, you’re just causing powercreeps. Widow needs to be nerfed, perhaps ashe but she’s not really dominating as she used to, still a top 3 DPS pick though even after all her nerfs.

And if you DO think he needs buffs. Answer me this.

Do you think doom needs buffs as well?

2 Likes

In my opinion, the issue here is burst damage vs damage over time. Burst damage is king in this game. Yes Soldier 76 can dominate, but you have to have almost perfect aim to fully utilize his power while other characters can output better results with a lot, I mean a lot less effort and accuracy.

Soldier needs to have the ability to hold his ground against enemies that jump him when he is trying to control high ground. Perhaps change the way his biotic field works on him to give him more survivability.

Lowering his damage to 19 hurt his already weak ult. They should change his ult to be a team buff that enlarges enemy crit hit boxes for a few seconds. It would be casted upon activation and anyone that gets hit with this ability gets tagged for the duration of the ultimate.

For quality of life, they should allow soldier to reload while sprinting.

I’m not asking for buffs, just a rework to adapt to all the new heroes and strategies. And yes, I agree that other heroes need to be tuned down a bit. Some more than others :blush:

Again. Sick reading comprehension. Maybe go back and read my original post.

He also is bad because the game has fundamentally changed. People don’t just stand around and let you shoot them anymore

You just said,

So if you aren’t agreeing with my point that widow just needs nerfs and soldier DOESN’T need buffs.

Wouldn’t that mean you’re advocating for soldier buffs?

Except he isn’t bad. He’s literally had an average pickrate with a 50%+ winrate. How is that in anyway, shape, or form… “bad”.

So again I say if you ARE advocating for soldier buffs, do you think doom need’s buffs too?

And if you aren’t advocating for soldier buffs and you agree that widow needs nerf… wtf was the point of causing an argument?

1 Like

The wrong thing in you thinking this change is only meant to be a buff.

This change is for make Soldier more skill based, compared to relay on no skill spread control.

It’s been easier for me to deal damage, and I’m not even great with aim.

I know Soldier can’t compete in burst damage, but Ashe/Widow/Hanzo can’t help the support by healing them.

I think Soldier was fine before except he was even more worse against Ashe/Widow/Hanzo. Now he feels a bit overtuned. I don’t think he needed the extra 5 ammo, but I also don’t think it hurts too much to give it to him.

Honestly I still feel like spread control and bursting was more skillful than “pull down mouse a bit”.

Guess it’s just me who feels that way.

Random spread don’t need any skill to control it.

Is the game itself to control it for you, the player only stop shotting and wait the game to finish the work for him with random spread.

Even if the recoil pattern is pretty easy, is only the player to control it with his skill.

I meant burst firing and knowing soldier’s spread to know when to burst and how to do it properly.

There’s a REASON he had to have his damage toned down. Clearly it was way easier to shoot with zero spread and a very easy to manage recoil.

No.

There is no skill in waiting the game to control your weapon.

Simple more people can achieve more headshot because their skill isn’t limited by spread.

I disagree that Soldier is bad in the first place. He’s outperformed by other DPS, but for meta-spanning reasons that aren’t highly related to his specific output. We’ve seen metas where Soldier dominates and his kit hasn’t had any drastic changes – this recoil change is as major as it gets. He has all the tools necessary to be a fine hero, and he is a fine hero as a result. There might be better options depending on the meta, but it isn’t like Soldier is a throw pick, or that he can’t be enabled well, or that there isn’t any enemy team comp he’d be superb against.

I’m not quite sure why people think Soldier is vulnerable to dive, at least to the degree they make it out to be. If anything Soldier is a great hitscan to run into dive because he has two easy tools for enduring a dive attack; Sprint is always available to him, allowing him to outmaneuver tanks like D.va, and Biotic Field gives him good enough healing to survive a Winston, especially so if Soldier has any team support behind him. I can definitely agree he can lose his high ground easily, but that’s just one factor of Soldier’s abilities – in place of that, he’s got a solid gun for fighting at most ranges, a generous heal for him and his teammates, and a passive Sprint ability to give him great repositioning capabilities.

And this change wasn’t really to make Soldier stronger anyway. It was to make him more consistent and skill-oriented, taking away a somewhat tedious and random spread system for a recoil-based one. It’s a retune to what Soldier can already do, it wasn’t intended to suddenly throw him into meta relevancy or something.

I think Soldier is all fine, though I haven’t touched these changes yet to say for certain. But I think people are too quick to dismiss him as weak just because, potentially, other heroes can outshine him. And I’m sure that’s more-so the case at the highest levels of play, but broadly speaking across other ranks, I definitely don’t see Soldier as lagging behind. He’s got fun and adequate tools for his own situations, he gets countered by certain conditions, he isn’t especially strong or weak one way or another – very well balanced in my opinion, it’s just a shame there’s more relevant DPS in the current meta, but that’s how it usually goes for most of the cast anyway.

So then why decrease damage? If this is obviously a harder to use weapon like you say?

Easier to hit headshots even when the gun had no initial spread for like 7 bullets AND no recoil?

tbh im use to having recoil in games with fast ttk. So having it on soldier feels bad

Try read entire message.

Simple more people can achieve more headshot because their skill isn’t limited by spread.

“Their skill”

Remember, this is a game want to be competitive.

I more concerned about the actual physical/mental health changes that come witht he change. All that violent shaking and color effects is stressful to the mind.

I cant even play him for more then a few minutes at a time anymore.

You know, that actually is a good way to understand as to why Soldier isn’t as viable compared to his hitscan counterparts.

Snipers are pretty much overstepping their strength for what Soldier should fulfill, even Bastion for that matter.

Give soldier 25 damage per shot with visor that will make his ult worth a damn, make his biotic field give 10% damage reduction to help him hold his ground against dives from winston, genji, etc.

The recoil change is overall a buff to skilled players but a nerf for less skilled players, I personally like it, but we’ll see if it stays.

The issue of widow/hanzo doing their jobs better than soldier is just how it is with snipers that have one shot capability. Ashe is basically a toned down sniper without 1 shot headshots and doing the same for hanzo/widow to remove that frustration but make those three characters too similar.

Shields were the best defense against snipers but people complained about shields so now they reap what they sowed with shields being too weak to be worth using. I think the devs are done with OW1, this game is on life support until OW2. Maybe the OW2 talent tree feature can help some heroes better counter snipers.