The report culture with this game is out of control

it can’t just be me that’s noticed people will report over quite literally anything
i’ve had games where I’ve politely asked people to switch, given very valid reasons why, and Ive been incredibly nice about it, instant report
saying basically anything in match chat is reportable (I mean I saw a post on here saying GG was toxic?? like dude)
I’m absolutely not trying to say the community is all snowflakes or whatever, I just think the report system seems utterly broken
I have been suspended maybe 3 times in the past 6 months, with the email not giving me any explanation as to why, when I have not been toxic and have said next to nothing in match chats, unless the system is bugged or something

It just seems wild

42 Likes

As someone who believes in actions against particularly problematic players, and also has never been actioned myself, yea, we report everything and we’re lame for it.

10 Likes

Back in my day we used to have this thing called “snitches get stitches.”

11 Likes

I get that, but the issue is you can do just about anything and get reported and penalised for it, if genuinely problematic people are getting penalised then sure i get it, but when im getting punished for communicating with my team like, cmon

5 Likes

While yes there are people who probably are a bit to sensitive or take things to far.

We also have some really toxic and horrible people as well.

There are some games where there is literal racism and sexism happening in voice and text chat.

9 Likes

So to clarify there is a report threshold that if you exceed it you get penalized. That means even if you did nothing wrong you can still get a ban from number of reports. In a way it penalizes people who play a bunch because the more games you play the more chances you have to be reported. It really does seem with the changes they make that they don’t want players playing 2k games a season. I’m waiting for the meta where someone makes a bunch of bot accounts and just starts spam reporting like WoW.

This is what happens when toxicity is allowed to go unpunished for years until it reaches the point that Blizzard is finally forced to step in. It inevitably leads to a very heavy handed approach that catches players who may not have intended to offend.

Don’t blame the people reporting, as wrong as they are (if you’re honest) but instead blame the players who forced Blizzards hand on this.

15 Likes

there are games where there is actual sexism and racism, and those people DO NOT get penalised

but if you get tbagged? or say gg ez? thats more reportable

this community is a joke

8 Likes

Cause the system doesn’t check what was said. It just checks to see if words were typed by the accused and then flags your account with the report.

That’s what happens when you allow vindictive players the power to ban people

3 Likes

Or we could hire people to look at the reports like what Riot Games does. yes they have an automated system but if you ask for a person they normally respond and talk with you.

The people who believe Blizzard and their automated report system are infallible are pretty hilarious. To them every suspension is deserved despite the fact that it is the whims of the players who decide is suspended.

11 Likes

This realistically won’t happen.

Blizzard will ease back on the system once toxicity decreases but until then there will be examples of people being banned for innocent requests.

2 Likes

Pretty sure they had a few people doing this, but they got downsized a few years back. The year Activision had its best year ever if I recall.

3 Likes

$$$

Got to protect those bonuses.

3 Likes

Not entirely true anymore.
Now, they aggregate reports and a certain number of them within a certain time frame can suddenly compound all at once and then POOF, there goes access to the game for x amount of time.

Also, they dont even check to see if you did antyhing anymore, the system just verifies that you were on at that time and/or if the person reporting you was in a game with you.

its basically the fist of the north star meme, you are already banned but you don’t even know it yet. Wow has a similar issue with gold farmers getting people banned by multi boxing reports.

i mean yeah mass reporting is a known issue that theyve just not acknowledged

1 Like

Why would they because then it reinforces the idea that if you don’t like someone then you can ban them by reporting for chat.

1 Like

it’s dismissive to call them snowflakes, sure some are some aren’t but we live in a time where every 12 yr old is a machiavellian. those damn 12 yr old machiavellians!

letting words in a video game ruin your day = low emotional maturity.
“snowflake” is just the slang word of the time to describe the people who typically exhibit this behavior.

2 Likes