The reason Goodman said Ashe is a buff to Mercy

You can agree - or disagree on whether Mercy’s fun to play. I want to better interpret Goodman’s words so you understand it better - because all of the posts I’ve seen relating this topic are wrong. So let’s get started.

WHY ASHE IS AN INCONSISTENT AND MINOR BUFF TO MERCY

Mercy is SO powefull with Ashe b ecause of the one shot headshot potential. Making her be able to headshot and one shot a squishy (comparable to Widow), doing it relatevly fast (compared to Mccree), and is a hitscan (unlike Hanzo). Mercy makes Ashe very dangerous - but here’s the thing Jeff. Headshots are inconsistent. I played with Grandmaster Ashes and even they didn’t reliabley headshotted the entire enemy team over and over. Altough the damage boost also compliments the dynamite which can give her lots more ult charge, the main aspect that makes Ashe+Mercy powerfull is the one shot potential, which isn’t good enough to be qualified a ‘buff’ IMO.

1 Like

Characters don’t equal buffs. They create synergy.

Mercy could already latch onto snipers, Pharah, and other such DPS.

Idk why he mentioned her as a Mercy buff, instead of a new Mercy combo :man_shrugging:

15 Likes

Is this an potential shipping between the two? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

There’s something more to this quote. I smell it coming as an cold front coming inbound from the ocean. Ripen as cottage cheese :cheese:

People constantly talk about how nerfing Brig is an indirect nerf to D.Va, or how nerfing D.Va is an indirect buff to Zarya or the like. People like talking about indirect nerfs and buffs all the time, especially with recent patches.

But then we talk about indirect buffs to Mercy, and the community is suddenly like “Nope, that concept is ridiculous, Mercy needs an actual buff, no one should ever consider another hero being strong as a buff.”

Convenient arguments at its finest.

4 Likes

Introducing Ashe makes the roster of heroes that synergizes well with Mercy larger. This means she’s more applicable/powerful in more team comps. This would loosely translate as a buff.

The value of a support hero is literally the amount of value they add to OTHER heroes on the team. Mercy herself doesn’t do anything 95% of the team. She enables other heroes to do things through healing and damage boosting them. A buff or nerf in this context would mean more or less value for your team.

That makes Mercy a buff to Ashe, because Ashe is receiving the damage boost. Ashe does not buff Mercy at all.

The syntax of the statement is completely wrong if Goodman words are meant to be interpreted this way.

4 Likes

That’s atleast what I thought he ment by it, and I haven’t really seen a post saying the same thing.

are we talking about the same person who once said DM’s use was to “protect RIP TIRE”

1 Like

Wait he actually said that? No wonder the balance changes does crazy stuffs

2 Likes

You have never done it before?
It is how many Dva players do to help their Rein pin the Bastion.

The thing is, Zen also can make Ashe dangerous.

For competitive play, since Ashe’s introduction Mercy is at roughly the same spot in public stats. Zen’s pickrate though has moved up slightly.

Either Goodman is primarily balancing around pro play where Mercy might get helped by Ashe (I don’t think we’ve had enough pro matches to say yet) or he’s iffy/wrong again.

I heard someone else say, in another thread, that the real reason Ashe isn’t a buff to Mercy is that Ashe is a pretty hard counter to Mercy. So Ashe makes Mercy better if she’s on your team (and this might increase Mercy’s pickrate) but Ashe makes Mercy a lot worse if she’s on the other team, because she’s probably going to kill Mercy a bunch of times.

i saw that thread, and i couldn’t disagree more with it.

Hmm. I play Ashe and I agree with it. Ashe has one of the easiest times killing Mercy of any DPS.

ashe is actually mercy in disguise, thats why they look so similar. when he said ashe is a buff to mercy, what he meant was that ashe is mercys stronger alter ego, so an actual buffed version!
“sometimes i wonder why i even bother” she now takes things into her own hands and has had enough of being the good girl!

1 Like

I agree. There’s some issues I find with the whole “Ashe is a buff to Mercy” thing.

Ashe receives a buff from Mercy, but Mercy herself isn’t suddenly “improved” just because she is pocketing her.

I think they were trying to make her sound more interesting than she actually is.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

1 Like

Goodman absolutely makes me cringe

I don’t know why either. I think they were trying to make Mercy sound more interesting that she actually is by calling Ashe a “buff”. They really need to stop doing that because it gives off the impression that they are trying to blur the lines between what’s synergy and what’s an actual buff to a hero. They are not one and the same.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

In my opinion, he shouldn’t have said it that way. Mercy is supposed to be a hero, not a sidekick. Even if she ends up being a sidekick most of the time, through the combos. But that’s a bit sad.

In B4 Mercy nerf to compensate…