The reason for removing medals is dumb

The devs said it lead to a lot of toxicity, which it did. “I have gold elims… oh yeah well i have gold healing?”

What do they do instead? Make everyone’s stats avaliable to see lol. How will that reduce toxicity?
“Well dude ur not healing 1k/min…well u only have 9 kills”

8 Likes

I’ve seen literally no one talk about the scoreboard in game

20 Likes

Down the road it might change, but in the beta I have had very little toxicity in general.

2 Likes

In OW1 it’s “OMG I have gold damage and we’re losing, my team is bad!”

In OW2 it’s “I have the highest damage on my team, but just barely, and it’s half of the other team’s best. Oh…”

23 Likes

LOL

So instead it’s gonna be presses tab “I am playing Zarya and I have more damage than both our DPS”
tank and both DPS now arguing half the match

presses tab “Our Moira did 10k damage and 11k healing, she’s doing too much DPS!”

“WHY DO U HAVE 10 DEATHS?” - Dps and tank who never helped the mercy one time

Have had zero toxicity in this beta and the first. All it does is show how glaringly bad the matchmaker is. Win a couple then get rolled and now you can see actively the game putting worse players on your team.

Constantly more dps and elims as tank then both dps, or play bap and get more heals and dps then all 4 of them.

Its also useful to see when im personally doing bad aswell. So its a positive change imo

4 Likes

I’d rather know I’m in the wrong (scoreboard) then not know I’m in the wrong (medal system). Goodbye medal system, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

10 Likes

medals just gave people dopamine which furthermore can make them think or say stupid crap that doesn’t really correlate to what’s really going on in the game which then affects how they play

scoreboard gives stats no questions asked, nothing to over analyze.

2 Likes

The scoreboard allows better (though not perfect) diagnostics of performance, and to me it seems like Blizz has decided that the ability to dive into analysis is an important ideal for their vision of the game. They stated this while also mentioning a future feature where you can get some sort of tips or guidance after a game ends by visiting your profile. (Don’t remember all the details exactly)

Toxicity is gonna happen, but having the raw data of both teams is generally better than a shiny badge that only you can see that says “you’re the best!”. Especially when that gold medal doesn’t actually mean anything. You might have gold damage because you’re a Moira and are letting your team die.

I mostly just feel that toxicity happens with or without any data, but having the data will enable people to defend themselves/diagnose things. There will always be ragers who just want to throw vitriol, but I think if someone can defend themselves that’s a plus, and if they can’t then, well, the interaction is still just some jerk yelling at you like ever before. I also think a small amount of toxicity will be curtailed, because of glass houses and all that. If the toxic person isn’t doing so hot themselves, then they will be less likely to speak up.

2 Likes

just because your stats aren’t at their usual numbers for a match doesn’t mean you’re performing bad, there are many factors which could cause you to not play as well e.g team composition

Just know there is probably a good chance you’re overthinking it when you see your numbers aren’t doing well ,even in the current system, always watch the replay if you think you didn’t do as well as you usually would and try to look out for any mistakes etc you made and how you could have done something else in that situation.

2 Likes

I love the new scoreboard. It’s probably my favorite thing about OW2 so far, even though I end up in the bottom sometimes.

2 Likes

Im rank 63 doom lol. If im not pulling good numbers its because im personally not doing somethin right

2 Likes

Toxicity doesn’t exist in OW2 atm because it’s new - people are still trying to figure it out. But believe me, when people become self confessed experts on the game, they will use the scoreboard to justify their toxic behaviour… and it’ll be worse than medals.

If some muppet wants to mic up and diss my gameplay now they need factual evidence

Ppl will be toxic,who cares anymore  ̄へ ̄

2 Likes

Last beta someome told me “…youve got zero damage literally useless…”

He was right of course. 0 damage.
Guess that whats i get for being a no brain no aim mercy main

Well, on the bright side, you know that damage boosted doesn’t track and that he’s a smooth brain.

I’ve seen like, two comments ever, which in the current game I get someone toxic a couple times a night. I think when the game hits launch and things settle down we’ll see more toxicity, but I don’t think it’ll be radically worse than it is now on live.

I live for the toxicity, ive got a discord server with a few friends and we have a channel just for posting the toxic chats of overwatch, pretty funny and makes me laugh.

1 Like

It’ll be A LOT worse, eventually. Give it a year or two…

It’s already terrible. The people that want to flame will flame regardless. But at least we can defend ourselves if they’re wrong about who’s not pulling their weight instead of just having to take it. Some of them might rethink being jerks when they know everyone can see their stats, too.

Some people will be targeted for low stats, but that already happens, and honestly I think the gold medals give people a complex in thinking they are justified to do it.

On top of all that, it will be a lot easier to identify genuine throwers. I actually experienced this in the beta already. It felt like we couldn’t do ANYTHING despite trying our best, and lo and behold our Ashe had double digit damage in an 8 minute game. It allows people the agency to really see what’s up with their team, and what the enemy might be doing that is superior. Those stats can help you improve.

not necessarily removed it just for stats. medals were in a small part about exp bar but maybe more transparency can lead to less arguments