The problems facing Overwatch

Oh, then why do you people keep saying that the game is dead?

“We” refers to my friends and I, not the community.

You will be back. You attention-seekers are always back. See ya’ on the 10th of April for the new event!

You know that out of the top 500 players only 200 are unique accounts right? The rest are all smurfs. So yeah, keep telling yourself how successful a game is just based on duplicate and triplicate “accounts”…

I will give you this, OW is a good time waster, the same as a cellphone app is…

You are leaving overwatch.

Online gaming follows this sort of pattern. At first the game is new, its interesting, everything is exciting as you learn, explore, and make yourself open to meeting people and making new friends.

At first, as a new player, even things that are old and boring for more experienced players, are new and exciting to you. Cinematics that have been out for a year or more, characters that others have long ago become accustomed to are new and interesting.

As you play, things become staler. Experience breeds familiarity which breeds contempt. Soon, rather than noticing all of the fun, interesting, new things you are experiencing you begin to focus on the negative little things that keep annoying you.

You’ve made friends, but after a while your social circle becomes more locked down. You’re used to them, you like them. All of those other people out there aren’t as cool, aren’t as fun.

But, like all such games, people come and people go. Some of them quit for whatever reasons: life changes, interests change, the game has now become stale and unless you just love it, it is no longer as appealing a use of time.

As your circle diminishes, you feel less drive to play. Less interest. More and more you focus on the negative. And then you arrive where you are today. When the desire to quit has surpassed the desire to play.

This is not necessarily bad. It is not even commentary on the game itself. Your observations are as much an observation on your life experience as they are on the game itself. You may have good points, and you may have none. All that really matters is that you are no longer enjoying it enough to play. Find something else to do with your time: this is better for you, and ultimately better for everyone.

Perhaps absence from the game will make you eventually miss it, and wish to come back. Perhaps it won’t. If you did find yourself ever interested again I would encourage opening yourself to making new friends again. They are out there, waiting to be met. Any MMO experience requires a constant effort to make new friends to replace those who move on. Turnover, churn, is a fact of life in these communities even moreso than it is in the communities we interact with outside of the game.

In other words: I’m glad you had fun. I’m glad you’ve found better things to do with your time. I’m glad you made friends. If you ever decide to play again, I encourage you to make more friends, it will make for a better experience. But it will never be new to you again, for that sort of experience you’ll have to try another game.

Best of luck, and enjoy yourself out there.

1 Like

Its obvious this is your personal opinion on changes you dislike but not a whole consensus of the player base. It’s not objective at all. Maybe the forums will agree with you since the forums are basically all complaints. There’s no point in trying to say anything since you already noted you’ve disliked almost any and all changes. They make changes and attempt to make them for the better, sorry they cannot please everyone and it will never be that way.

If you have more fun in Fortnite then good luck and have fun. You’ll get bored and upset when that game gets old as well and move on.

I think its ridiculous to even compare games that are completely different and then come on the forums to try to make OW look bad. We also shouldn’t come on here and state things are “too slow” considering we have no idea how long or how complex the changes would be.

2 Likes

You know, I had typed up some 8 paragraphs of my experiences on this game so far, but I deleted it all just to say this:

Everyone knows what’s wrong with this game, and what’s been wrong with this game. You can choose to ignore it, defend it or demand a fix for it. At the end of the day Blizzard doesn’t care what you have to say about anything, if they did we wouldn’t see things like Mercy’s much anticipated nerf held on the PTR for 2-3 months. Look at the Blizz/Dev tracker columns, the ONLY replies you will see are to posts which talk nothing about feedback, unless of course it’s Blizzard locking the thread because it took a negative turn, while ignoring the hundreds of non-feedback threads which take negative turns. They’ve made their billions with a b from this game, now it’s all about occasional balance changes and cosmetic updates to look good on paper and bring some more income flowing into the company. The majority of the profits of this game have already been made.

Let me list concise versions of things wrong with this game.

-Updates take too long
-Balance is a joke (think of how long it takes for an OP hero to be nerfed)
-Supports are being completely ignored, Ana’s still unplayably bad especially against dive and Moira is still the most rewarding, lowest risk support
-Forums cater to hive-mind complaints
-OWL getting too much attention
-Dive still has no counter
-Half the heroes are unplayably out of meta
-Bugs
-D.Va and Mercy’s reworks (which were going to kill the heroes if you believed the forums) made them must picks, Mercy was nerfed from pressure from OWL being repetitive, D.Va is still OP
-Hanzo’s “update” has been announced something like 4 months ago but hasn’t hit the PTR yet, and on live almost half of all his shots are no-reg’s and scatter was silently changed a few months ago to be less reliable, but no one noticed unless they regularly play Hanzo
-Lore still barely makes sense and is progressing mind-numbingly slowly
-Blizzard encourages people to treat comp like QP
-Report penalties are solely based on quantity of reports not quality of reports and/or evidence (I reported a person for telling 4 people to kill themselves in chat, never got penalized, reported a guy who picked attack torbjorn once and he got punished within a day because of the amount of reports)
-Blizzard changes unimportant things about the game with literally broken logic

For example:

However, I replied with this over 2 weeks ago and got no response

Can’t link the thread but it’s easy enough to find. I should repeat that I am no expert, and it’s likely I’m overlooking something with my logic there, but for crying out loud at least TELL me that instead of ignoring it, Blizzard, I’m sure you can read it and reply to it if you can post stuff like

every day.

Okay rant over, I’ll probably have my forums account suspended after this because god forbid someone’s honest on these forums.

8 Likes

Better question is why people feel the need to tell everyone they’re leaving…your situation is somehow special? You’re leaving for the same reasons everybody else would leave the game for…none of which are stuff that we haven’t considered already…

I only ask because I’ve seen several lately…all saying the same thing mind you

2 Likes

see you in a week my dude

1 Like

You ARE the toxic comments

2 Likes

No, those who are saying things like “good riddance” are the toxic comments. OP posted very well thought out reasons for the issues in this game.

1 Like

I mean McCree is not underpowered, same as Ana, same as Reinhardt, same as Zarya, they just suffer hard from dive, and as Dive became mandatory for more than 3 seasons, yeah they took a step back.

I’m a bit confused seeing these names mention when actually Pharah is the character we heard not any more. She is suffering of her kit lacking of survival, her rockets travel time is vaste joke, as much as her barrage ult who leaves her totally potato headshot, no damage reduction, really BAD mini rockets path, I mean she needs a rework, she’s too easy to counter and too dependant of Mercy, which leads to the other big problem of Mercy being the only real hero matching with Pharah as a healer

1 Like

Sorry I don’t have time atm to reply to everything, just needed to note that the ping option was actually replaced. That is why it went blank after the update. The new option is latency which basically shows the ping

And this was apparently a necessary change following updates to close the newly discovered side-cache vulnerabilities in processors. Their hands were forced because the packets no longer have their times attached.

1 Like

It’s not a strawman argument. I was simply asking you what you would do fix the problem. If you don’t want to back up your claims then that’s your problem, not mine.

And you should learn to take things less seriously and view this from a different perspective.

There is no reason people need to write a massive essay just to announce they are leaving a game.
If you want to go-then go, your not Blizzards problem anymore.
Being ‘passionate’ about a video game is one thing, but these posts crop up frequently and you often see these players return after a short time.
More often then not its simply a case of having a stream of bad games, things not going well and they need to vent, so they take it out where they can.

That place tends to to be these forums.

My advice is not to care.
At the end of the day Overwatch is a game and if your not enjoying it, you should break away with the least possible drama.
Getting involved in threads like these just makes you more negative as everyone brings up more bad points, their own bad experiences.
Instead of taking a break, with a chance of return you simply get wound up in negative experince after negative experience.
It will just make you jaded.

That’s not passion, thats a bad cycle.

1 Like

THIS.
People keep doing this and it makes the whole forum more negative, there’s no need to add anymore points on when its just the same point being made a hundred times.
If you want to jump ship- do it without the performance.

2 Likes

:violin::notes::notes:

1 Like

It is a strawman. I am not paid to fix it, it is not my job nor do i need to back anything up. When i go to a restaurant i pay and ask the waiter for a chicken fillet. If the chicken is bad i say i don’t like it, why i don’t like it and return it. The waiter is not going to ask me to explain how to cook the chicken or how to marinate it and for how long. That is the chef’s job and that is why i paid for my dinner.
So it is a straw man.

3 Likes

I think it is sad that seemingly so few people value here value posts where people detail WHY they are leaving. This kind of feedback is useful for developers and is an important part of the process in maintaining a game pleasing to the target audience.

4 Likes

I agree completely. this game has gotten way to competitive. it’s community has gotten out of control. some gameplay elements are way to unpredictable, and it’s developers are not balancing their game as fast as Free to Plays.

I’m not having fun with the game as much anymore because it is built around pro-level performance. i can see how blizzard is trying to balance these heroes; there is an equal level of effectiveness that each hero can offer to their team, but some are just much more easier than others and thus can easily maintain that level. for most high-skill heroes and most unviable heroes, it is much harder to maintain this level of effectivness than viable or low skill heroes. my point is that you must be a FPS pro if you want to have fun with all heroes.

for example, ive been seeing a lot of arguments concerning McCree’s lack of balance. i remember when a dev (cant remember who) posted a OWL video of the best McCree play, as if it is prof that McCree is currently balanced. while this profs that McCree can be viable, it does not prove that he is balanced. this just says, “git gud” but nobody really thinks how skilled of a McCree they need to be in order to perform as well as the pro did in the video. apparently the obvious answer is that pro levels of skill is required, which makes you wonder if the skill requirement for most unviable or high-skill heroes are a little too high. for high-skill heroes, i dont mind if they were nerfed so long as they were as easy to play as low-skill heroes or more reliable heroes.

4 Likes