The problem with the Mercy megathread

In my opinion megathreads in general don’t work because comments on them pile up so much that it’s easy for the devs to miss good ideas and feedback. Also we need more than one post saying “we read these daily” if you are going to convince us you are listening to feedback. It’s not good to just move any Mercy discussion to a megathread or to have one in the first place as it bogs stuff down and makes it feel like you are using it as containment rather than honest feedback.

4 Likes

The problem I see in it is that despite the devs saying they aren’t going to revert Mercy, people clog the megathread with #revertMercy. This effectively makes them not have a voice since the devs want feedback for current Mercy. This meant that the only people who were suggestioning things were people who don’t necessarily have the best intentions for her.

4 Likes

This is why I hate megathreads, the people who point out the reasons why mercy is weak and that propose actual good solutions to it get drowned out by the revert crowd. And blizzard makes it worse by moving all mercy talk to the thread.

7 Likes

Maybe the mains should not ruin themselves with revert spam then

3 Likes

It’s not a megathread thing. The Mei and Symmetra megathread give good suggestions and point out the problems with them

Tbh it doesn’t really matter anyway. They aren’t buffing her/reworking her anymore. This is how she’s gonna stay.

For now.

They will probably revisit after they fix a few other characters. I.e. Ones that are not currently viable.

Mercy is currently “viable but boring”. Which makes her a lower priority.

Nah I don’t see her being looked at even then. Especially considering she’s still the third most picked support in OWL and the 8th most picked character in OWL overall. She will likely stay the way she is for a very long time, and it’s unlikely that anything will happen that’ll cause her to need changes (buffs)

Well like I said, she’s viable. Just boring.

I think the devs understand “boring playstyle” is a problem. I.e. The Lucio rework.

1 Like

Boring is too subjective, and it seems to just be coming mainly from Mercy players. They consider the Mercy players a “micro community” out of “thousands” of other communities. And so they don’t take their feedback to heart.

Well it doesn’t help when Mercy is a must-pick between every nerf before the last one, and yet Mercy players are complaining that she’s not viable anymore.

Similar to how much complaints D.va for with her rework, until people realized how strong she was.

Well yes they are right in not making decisions based off the Mercy players feedback. I’d think (and hope) that they would do it mainly based off data and statistics, that would be the correct way to do it imo.

Look where that got Ana though lmfao. Everytime a healer’s pickrate starts getting high they get gutted and forgotten about for multiple seasons.

1 Like

I doubt that they nerfed Ana solely based off of her pickrate. She was obviously overpowered, and so was Mercy. Also, Moira currently has the highest pick rate overall and you don’t see her being gutted.

Doesn’t mean you have to gut them in order to shift a meta.

I never said it does. And I wouldn’t really call Mercy “gutted” she’s obviously still viable. Her usage in OWL proves it.

She was fine after she’s was nerfed when the meta was deathball. She got to where she is now when dive returned.

Ok 2 things wrong with what you have said here 1st is that OWL is a bad way to compare viability to ranked because OWL are Pros, it’s their JOB to be the best at the game, they get PAID to be the best and so they have their own meta and pickrates. 2 are you implying blizzard simply ignore how upset people are with the nerf? In my opinion the nerf was a good step forward and Mercy is almost in a good spot. But currently her ult is weak and quite lacking because they took so much from it and didn’t replace it with anything. Nerf was in general a good idea but it needs some work to make her ult a little better and more fun, maybe 1 insta charge. Rest of mercy’s kit is fine.

1 Like

That’s one way to look at it. The way I see it if the pros can make Mercy work anyone should be able to. I mean she does take the least mechanical skill after all, you don’t have to be a pro to play her. I think what I meant to say/should have said is blizzard shouldn’t only use Mercy feedback when deciding whether or not to make changes to her. They should use Mercy feedback and data/statistics equally when making decisions.

I mean it’s not just feedback that’s saying something is wrong. Mercy is fine in low ranks but above plat she harshly drops in pickrates tied with Ana in GM, another hero that needs fixing. And blizzard bases most balance changes off of high ranks. She and Mercy hover around 2 to 3 percent. Mercy isn’t “dead” but could be better.