The presence of smurfs does not affect other people's ranks

I see many threads over-dramatizing the smurfing that goes on in Overwatch and I find it quite silly.

Lower ranks claim that they are being held down by smurfs, yet statistical science proves that this is impossible. This is because you will get carried by smurfs as well.

Even if we entertain the false premise that some people end up 500 or even 1000 sr below the rank that they actually are, which is ludicrous, this would mean the difference between a silver and a plat or a gold and a diamond or a diamond and a GM. In such a case, wouldn’t these people who are “underanked” classify as smurfs themselves, giving them an unfair advantage and meaning that they should win a majority of their games as smurfs tend to do?

I know this is an opinion that isn’t commonly presented so it will require some introspection on the part of many in order to challenge their pre-existing views and foster a productive discussion.

10 Likes

How does that makes it a good thing.

Ppl want to have even matches not to be rolled or carried.

71 Likes

I am not held down by smurfs, but it still unpleasant to have them neither on my nor enemy side.

39 Likes

I only say they ruin gameplay, it does not matter on what side they are.

27 Likes

Exactly. Every time one of them buys a new copy, they ruin the games of everyone on their way back up.

18 Likes

there is no claim being made that this is a good thing, the thread merely acknowledges that this is an unavoidable part of any online competitive game.

The primary goal of the thread is to disprove the overwhelmingly common opinion that there are “underanked players” being cheated out of their “real rank”.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Except is is 100 times worse in OW and is only getting worse.

16 Likes

I have personally made the climb from silver to masters on multiple roles and I have never found the frequency of smurfs to be an issue. I always just viewed them as good players that I should try to become better than. I never thought to shame someone for being more skilled than me.

2 Likes

A smurf doesn’t see smurfs as an issue?! Color me shocked!

34 Likes

My thought is that it is a huge common mistake of taking this thoughts seriously. Everyone is completely aware of their skill level and only reason why he complains in a forum is because of frustration being unable to rank up. Stop considering people to be so dumb they can’t even rate their own skill level.

2 Likes

How can you prove this claim?

When I google “overwatch smurfing problem”, a lot of the search results relate to other games.

Smurfing could be curbed if they want to, but so far they have decided not to limit smurfing.

They could lock each account to 1 computer using Tin.man API.

I guess they rather keep the extra revenue from people who like to buy multiple accounts.

5 Likes

You might be someone who doesn’t believe that they deserve a higher rank than they are able to achieve.
However the reality is that a lot of people on these forums as well as in game, claim to deserve a higher rank than they are able to achieve.

Because I see them in every single match and so does everyone else.
It is really that simple.

And all that I find are small blue ppl. :thinking:

5 Likes

Smurfing adds extra randomness to already random matchmaking, not only u can be balanced with good or bad team, but also any team has a chance to have smurf player on top of that.

3 Likes

This is statistically impossible/cope.
Can you back up this ludicrous claim with proof/data?

1 Like

One smurf already means they had to ruin games for others to get there.
Its not just them being way better than the rest, and solo carry in a team game, but also how much they have to throw to keep themself in lower ranks.
It dont need to be many of them to dislike them, especialy since competitive supposed to be the only mode in this game where people play with each other on similiar skill. (supposed as even with no smurfs, 2 rank difference is a thing)

4 Likes

This is exactly what the thread is saying. Every player faces the same randomness when queueing, the only thing which remains constant is the players own skill level/communication.

Why would they curb it if it’s not even established to be a problem? Why would a company invest into technology to limit its own revenue?! LOL

Due to constant complaints. So far I have not heard any valid reason for having multiple accounts beyond wishing not to supposedly taint their main account.

If they curb smurfing then that would appease the player base who have complained about smurfing for years.

10 Likes

Ideally i want to queue with players exactly my skill level, games with smurfs are already 90% won\lost from start, which means another wasted game for me, a game where outcome is not depended on my ability. This is unpleasant and the reason i dont like smurfs.

6 Likes