The passion of Overwatch Team

Recently somju forgot to make mei changes and within a day after he suggested changes for her, a patch was out letting her slide on her primary with increased speed.

It was amazing how fast they could make a change to a hero to tryout.

yet the it took them one and half years to change mercy hps to 55 from 50.

The change suggested by somju is something that has been requested by the community for a long time, yet something that can be done so fast was never ever tried.

Like if i could make changes and try stuff this fast with this game, would have tried so many things in these years good or bad but kept on trying unlike leaving the game stagnant.

Makes one wonder among the workplace issues and stuff, and given how they havnt dont stuff for years that could be done in a day, do they have any passion left for this game.

Cause if not ow2 release looks even more doomed.

3 Likes

I’m not holding my breath on the sequel. The only thing holding this together at this point is hopes from the community. Though I guarantee they are going to hate it.

4 Likes

it just boggles my mind as to how they left a game to dry, when they could have made improvements even if they dedicated like 5-10% of the time.

1 Like

I’m just assuming that between how split the community is on balance changes, how heavy handed acti bliz execs can be about monetization and all the lead devs bailing out before the lawsuits that we are unlikely to get the product we were promised.

It feels like after how long it has taken we will be getting the pvp equivalent of Anthem.

3 Likes

There are two reasons why we’re not getting content, aside from OW2. The first is that the development team values extensive testing. AndyB pretty much confirmed this a week ago in regards to why the experimental was so much faster:

I would say the bulk of the reason for their testing is to get rid of bugs, exploits, crashes, and so forth, but also because they overvalue their balance testing to a fault. I’m sorry Blizzard, but your internal testing team is not great at balancing. Their testing team is busy working on OW2.

This brings us to the second major reason, which is Blizzard’s hands-off balance approach. I think it’s terrible. It’s boring, doesn’t create a balanced game, and leaves heroes like Mercy to rot for years at a time. Blizzard has the ability to balance the game more frequently, they know the community wants them to balance the game more frequently. and has promised to balance the game more frequently, but is headstrong and refuses to do it anyways.

That’s why it takes years to do balance changes like giving Mercy +5 HPS, not because it’s difficult or hard to think about, but Blizzard would rather not.

2 Likes

There’s a bottleneck somewhere that stops this passion to come in my view. The Goodman Bottleneck I’ve dubbed it. With him in charge all I see is apathy, ineptitude and the only love is for CC.

3 Likes

I assume the development team questions if they should improve the game.

On one hand its their passion project they spent years on.

On the other hand their corporate overlords are scum and are the ones who profit the most from the game being successful.