The Overwatch Empowerment Cup: A community pursuit of equity, inclusion, and competitiveness

thats a tough promise to take seriously atm.

8 Likes

No can’t. Can’t is there correct word. They cannot announce anything unless cleared to do so. So short of going into every thread asking about OW2 and linking Ybarra’s twitter reply there is nothing they can say.

This they can talk about. Fostering and improving community interaction is an aspect of their job. Talking about the problems that exist can be domestic without needing to go up the chain.

3 Likes

He wasn’t just talking about the tourney, he was talking about that and inclusivity as it relates to the tourney and the community. I was initially concerned because, as I said

But then Andy said

And actually went on to discuss things in a way that made sense to me. This is incredibly important because, often times, I usually get the typical “believe this or you’re a bigot!” routine, so its refreshing to see someone actually trying to explain the company’s POV on this in a way that doesn’t seem like corporate spinning.

For example, do you remember Bully Hunters? That was such a travesty that I actually think it harms women. The data they used was faulty as they extrapolated a large number from a very small sample size.

In this case, Blizzards motivations are a simple as “They’re organizing this thing, lets give them a platform”.

Maybe that doesn’t matter to you, and as you said

But you need to consider that its not just the CM’s job to exclusively drop the next content update to get you hyped for games. I’d be less cynical and less willing to call everything corporate virtue signaling if there were more CMs like Andy, who’s willing to actually hop in to a discussion like this and type at length when it matters.

It’s can’t.

For Jodie or I to come to the forums and provide any additional insight that’s not been thoroughly vetted and approved by the teams would be disrespectful to the work of the hundreds of people behind our announcements

20 Likes

Two thoughts:

1. THANK YOU (not sarcasm) for saying something, literally anything, on this. I genuinely appreciate it, and though I have been extremely critical recently, please know it comes from a place of true and authentic love for the universe and game you and your team have created.

2. I understand and hear what you’re saying, but I am so beyond sick and tired of the “we can’t wait to share more with you when the time is right” rhetoric. When is the time going to be right? We haven’t heard a scrap of real information on the PvE in over a year, and the PvP for 6 months. So please pardon me if I’ve lost the faith, but I simply have.

24 Likes

I’m assuming there very aware… that… we need information.

Or are we this low :frowning:

1 Like

So. Very. Aware.™

20 chars

10 Likes

Don’t be shy…

drop some… :slight_smile:

Jk, but can we at-least expect a blizzcon-like videos with information?

That’s all im asking :confounded:

1 Like

Simultaneous appreciation of the communication but extreme groan over the same “we’re excited to share stuff eventually” that we’ve been getting for months.

There comes a point where it’s simply not good enough for anyone - the people higher up have to get this through their skulls.

5 Likes

And yet nothing changes? Not more communication?

Is that just the higher ups being incompetent or not caring? Or maybe another Afrasiabi story where 600 years ago someone in the development team did something and now you can’t share anything? (Probably can’t answer that, I know but it is not throwing a good light)

Can I get paid to do nothing too? Much like your lore team on OW?

Like honestly I dunno how many years OW2 is in development now. How in the world, without any feedback, do the hundreds of people know that the product in the end will be good?

You have so many people work on this title forever… How would you know if the community, if you don’t do any releases what so ever, will like it in the end? That’s very scary to think of.

6 Likes

“The Empowerment Cup”

As I said on the thread complaining about said cup, as a woman I can’t think of anything more patronising than that name.

7 Likes

Are they even aware that people have high expectations for something to happen?
The content creators have already managed to overhype it with vague hints and then taking their words back.

2 Likes

I get this, and usually go out of my way to avoid being tease-y or leading anyone on.

It’s perfectly understandable to be skeptical of us right now. Were I in your position, I’d be similarly guarded, and reserving judgement until you learn more. All I’ll say is we look forward to re-earning your trust.

10 Likes

But the issue is… we haven’t learned anything in over a YEAR.

Why are reserving space for something we don’t know anything about?

I’m going to be honest. If you were actually in our shoes, i’d expect you to be in the same position Fragehardt and 99% of the community.

3 Likes

I know you as a person / worker can’t do anything about it and you’re probably not the biggest fish that do these decisions. I’d be surprised if you even know who is doing these decisions in the end.

But man what I wouldn’t give to have those mysterious “higher ups” show up in a forum post and actually explain plus answer everything. Not Ion lawyer speak but actually honest and straight forward. X happens because Y. I would like to have that for WoW too but unfortunately Ion is there so that isn’t going to happen.

From how informations are brought up to the table, who exactly decides what is going to the public and what is not, what the process on it is, why development goes into a certain way and so forth. Basically the patch notes of WoW but much, much more indepth about the whole development process of OW2.

Like idk, have a higher up monthly post where these people take common forum suggestions and discuss them if they are possible, if not and why not.

I have a feeling that we will never have that though.

4 Likes

Jeff Kaplan used to post a decent amount on here when he was Director, actually.

3 Likes

Thank you, Andy. This is a very big first step. I look forward to you re-earning my trust as well.

Edit: Speaking for myself here. I know for some people here this communication will not mean as much as it does for me.

3 Likes

Whoever took over should have continued that tradition.

He does.

He visits… us once a year!

AndyB addressed it more eloquently than I can in his reply.