The inconsistency in handling Mercy: Her Damage Buff "Bug fix"

Well… I know that coding is more complicated than easy. But, as you said if they simply forgot to remove/change that message/event for her Ult charge, than it’s very likely to be intended to work that way.
Like why even have that, if it’s called a bug now?

Again, it just looks inconsistent. I was thinking about that as well, but there are so many things which point at the fact that DmgBing both Ult’s was intended from the start up, if I’m no wrong even from the Beta up.

I don’t understand how people are still saying mercy got nerfed, mercy got reworked and in the end she ended up with a buff, im sorry that most of you mercys were crutched n didn’t learn to play her properly because you have a mass res for a blanket of protection, shes better now, shes stronger now, and she isn’t broken to hell L2Mercy

They explained that they called it out as a bug fix because the it simply wasn’t the intended design, not that something was actually broken in code. chances are the way everything got hooked up, it just happened to work like that. To correct the issue they likely added some special casing and/or yanked out some code, but likely missed something. This could result in message handlers in the code being left hooked up, which would not be obvious because the QA/testing was likely only looking to ensure that the damage values were correct.

This would be my guess, but I just strongly suspect this was just something they overlooked.

Again, i see your point, but why even have it in the first place if it was not intended?
Obviously, that she still gets charge is now a bug, but we have all the evidences that it was no bug fix to dmgb, in the first place.

It looks more to me that the DmgB for all 3 heroes (Mercy, Ana and Orisa) was specifically made for each individually. That would explain why they overlooked the charge gain for Mercy, because she is the only one which can gain charge with it, because it’s not in her Ult. And that just tells us again that they wanted dmgB to work that way.

1 Like

This. people have always been hypocritical when it comes to supports. The fact that Zenyatta has been meta longer than Mercy, but yet people tend to only complain about Mercy is beyond me.

But it’s okay because Zenyatta takes more skill than Mercy…

1 Like

This is not about Mercy being nerfed. We all know that this rewok made Mercy to an OP mess which is almost unfixable.

Maybe read the OP first befor you say something. I never mentioned a revert, Mass Res or how unfun Valkyrie Mercy is.

This is about the inconsistency of handling Mercy and how the Dev just lie to use with things like that.

But because i still want to say something about that shortly…

The most biased opinion of them all. Ask Mercy players, most will say that they never hid with Mass Res, that they were always in the fight and that this Mercy 1.x was far better balanced and more fun than the one we have now.
The current Mercy is just the same as the old one, only with a “easy mode pro simulator” Ult, which is pointless for everyone which knows how to play Mercy. On top of that, without any skillful mind games or difficulty spikes.
If you Son’t see how broken the Mercy is we have know go and read that:

To be honest though this is kinda getting out of hand and people are overreacting way to much. The changes to DmgB are not “huge” nerfs. Who knows if it might or might not be a bug that they fixed, it’s honestly pretty insignificant.

Come complain on the forum when they bug fix bunnyhopping with GA which literally is labeled a bug but kept as a feature… Or when they suddenly say being able to heal through barriers is a bug and they’ll fix that so she gets the same Moira treatment. Or they remove your animation cancels like a certain other hero making it so everything feels slow and clunky. Those are huge nerfs. Not being able to DmgB 2? ults in the whole roster is nothing.

This is the magic of coding though.

When you have a simple program like “Hello World” or like my C 300 class, a program that generates Driving Test results for a random amount of input, you can control the outcome of it. But when you have a game like Overwatch, where it contains a couple thousands to millions lines of code, things get weird. Unwanted interactions between them starts to pop up, for example, Quake’s Rocket Jump.

However, Quake’s Rocket jump sticks around to TF2 because the community likes to do it so much, it becomes an interaction. Boosting Dragonstrike however, was not. I remember there were a lot of posts saying that Blizzard should removed the interaction simply because it is hard to counter, even with Zen.

When I heard they removed DmB to traps and D.va Nukes, my reactions were “WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? That is a thing?”, but in the end, it would entirely pointless. Both of them are easy to avoid, and D.va’s nuke already instagib a good portion of the heroes, so what is the point?

Considering that it’s effectively a nerf to 5 heroes, it’s quite a big thing.

Considering that it never was labeled as a bug, other than Moira healing through barriers which was officially confirmed as a bug long before it got fixed or Mercy’s space jump, It’s just unreasonable to say after 2 years of it being very well known by the community and by the Dev’s probably as well, that it’s a bug.

And it’s not insignificant. Yes the overall nerf might be not that big. But it’s just again inconsistency in regards to the negative follow up of the “rework”.

How many unreasonable changes did we got now thanks to her rework, letting out the 10-11 nerfs to Mercy which did absolutely nothing than making the player experience worse?

It’s more about the fact that more and more, very apparent, bad design choices occur now because of Mercy 2.x and the dev’s fear to say that they messed up with that, adding even worse interactions and bugs.

As i said. I do understand that coding can end with weird interactions. That’s nothing new for me.
But Blizzard is a very big and experienced company which should be able to see stuff like that, because it is very obvious if you think about it.

Yet again, as they said, they only removed the DmgB, but not more interactions.
You get the tick’s, the Ultcharge and the killfeed shows that as well.
It was a rushed change, not well thought out.
Will i could see it as a bug… The past tells us that it wasn’t/isn’t one.

The thing with the trap was a real bug, I’m sure about that and i didn’t even know that. Mercy (and the other DmgBs) was never able to boost things which have HP, like Sym’s and Torb’s turrets. But Dva’s Ult, which has no HP, was always boostable since release (same with hanzo). I can assure you that pretty much all veteran Mercy, Dva, Hanzo or better said all veteran players knowed that this was possible.

The point is that Mercy get’s Ult charge from those. Mercy players loved to boost Dva Ult because of the juicy amount of charge you would get. That shouldn’t be possible anymore. But as you can see, the inconsistency of handeling Mercy is there again.

Btw, it was actually three ults, there was a rip-tire too… :joy:

That makes it even worse. :joy:

Seriously, what did the person saying she hid expect her to do with all of that? Run into one or all of them??? Somehow magically heal through all of that damage??? If she could heal through a Barrage without an ult, that would be so OP.

AND… Lucio, the other healer, died behind a wall!!! How is that not considered hiding to them??? (Totally not him hiding though.)

The comment is usually “see, you were not standing in the middle of the team for four whole seconds, obviously hiding for rez!”.

Meanwhile I’m like, “Sorry, I didn’t feel like tanking a Rocket Barrage with my face”.

3 Likes

Yeah, look at the people who tried to tank it. :rofl:

Mercy rework bad design starting to infect the whole game only because they are stubborn…

great work!

I hear that could solve world hunger at this point.
Seriously, every time there’s ANY problem, mass rez could fix it, according to the forums.

sure is a lot of salty mercy players on these forums

If i see the enemies doing a Grav+dragons combo and killing my teammates, i Will not stay close to It risking to die. I Will taking cover or return to the spawn. And i will do this with all the Heroes, not only Mercy.
People think that even if the Mercy was only taking cover it’s hide and seek. Even if She was healing and supporting before the combo. No it’s not hide and seek if you are only taking cover. You do this with Every hero against an ult or a combo. Like, what you do against a soldier ult? Do you stay in the open and die?

(Sorry For bad english)

2 Likes

i dont get why this is even an issue for mercy mains. ana and orisa cant damage boosts the same ults anymore, so how is that inconsistent?

is the issue really because mercy gets ult charge? freak ana and orisa have to use their ults to even get the same effect that mercy has ready 24-7. hell with mercy 1.0 she would have ultimate’s left and right by damage boosting widow’s and hanzo’s in this meta.

This shows a willingness from the devs to randomly nerf aspects that are currently creating strong metas. Right now it’s Hanzo, but who will be next? If Ana becomes strong will her sleep dart suddenly stop working against certain ults because reasons? Will certain ults no longer work together with Graviton?

There were actually a number of counters to the GravDragon+dmgBoost combo, the issue is that none of those characters aside from Zen were viable and the devs haven’t really bothered trying to make them viable until very recently. A Transcendence+Soundbarrier would have worked, a Transcendence+Rally would probably have been enough, a Transcendence+Grenade would make Zen outheal the dragon, Symmetra can teleport her team, Mei can sometimes even lift her team to safety using her walls.

Instead we get a nerf that’s just going to suck for Hanzo players when they are no longer in the meta, and for no good reason.

ana’s sleep dart is on a 10 seconds CD, can only be used once, is not ready 24-7, can be countered and it takes aiming to do. i dont think that can ever be compared to mercy’s damage boost which until now never had really down side.

not really it only makes sure that the tanks stay alive and if the timing is wrong then the 200hp heroes too. but then zen and a lucio combo hav such a bad healing output whereby the team could easily lose team fights by themselves.

no it does not, all it does is to add 100 armor over the first 2 seconds and last 2 seconds of the ult. essentially grav+dragon would easily eat 100hp of armor.

again i am not too sure but it only reall works on tanks and it takes the righ timing.

hanzo is not only meta because of that combo, he is meta mainly because storm arrow makes him the best dps in the game. giving him an ability where he can do headshots on targets is the real issue.