The hypocrisy is unreal

Im so tired of explaining.

You either need to tone down this ridiculously over abused reporting system, or ban every player under the sun and every player hiding in their basements

You guys are like making it a goal of yours to see how many different stupid ways you can make people hate the game, when it indirectly has nothing to do with the game itself

7 Likes

I only disagree with the generalization that it gaming culture as a whole. It’s just OW. This community sucks.

Yeah, the community of under 30 people from an obscure MMO from the 1990s is great, lol. So nice and welcoming…

I thought you were going to swing the other way and say everyone is soft in general. That’s the direction I would go, at least.

Ah, yes, Samito, the guy who breaks headsets while screaming until he’s about to pass out over a video game. Definitely the arbiter of mature emotional expression.

10 Likes

yeah i disagree. If a high level turnament player says something like this they should be banned since they are role models in a way. If we accept this than we discredit our campain for nice behavior in video games.

Ofc ther has to be a line beween what is okay and what is not. Considering the game is very accessable for children we shoud not take things lightly. What is also to note he has to get reported quite a few times before action is taken so it wasn a one time thing.

Samito has one of the most reportable faces i have ever seen

3 Likes

Gaming culture shifted from specific target folks who were small subset of folks for more broader community.

Became more a social tool for several instead of social escapism for a few.

Prior folks who often play games were folks who couldn’t have much fun outside games or their social aspects weren’t compatible with their own environment. With the gaming boon games started to be more social and often a way to folks interact, like MMO genre which popularized a ton of games and Mobile games some years later. Those helped a ton and gaming to become mainstream.

Gaming community, always were rich on bad stuff, most folks iterated with bad stuff but didn’t had maturity to actually understand or notice it as reflection of how their outside social life were and games were their escapism from it. When things get broadened and accessible those behaviors become clearer due the mix of several crowds in the same space.

The old beacon of freedom and liberty, became what outside world also is. A environment with rules, limits and order. Gaming community spent several years only on basic maintenance structure due being a niche. Similar to other mediums like play tabletop RPG, be a geek, be a nerd and so on.

They often looked for escapism and actually some social iteration within their own groups. Those things started to become popular/trending and then, massive influx of folks from different ages, mindsets, features and life experiences.

Instead of roughly homogeneous group who had the same jokes and slangs, became a bigger and really dynamic community, which had bigger voice and bigger impact on others.

Most of the humans in the world, today, play some form of game and most of those games have some social aspect on it. Is not a niche group anymore, while you can have specific groups for specific genres, even genres themselves mutated and evolved to the point of millions or even billions of folks share the same interest on specific games.

Was never okay to do some stuff on internet, folks did as reflection of what they experienced on real life and used the anonymity from virtual world which was on it’s infancy.

As the number of folks entered in this world. How it grow and matured things started to change due otherwise would be a lawless world.

Swear, taunt, thick skin are defensive instances. Often from folks who suffered that in real life and as form of dealing with it, used on virtual world also. Doesn’t make it good on real life neither on virtual world. Folks are soft, always will soft, nobody want to spend several hours in a work that drain their energy and patience, go to play a game and hear screams or folks talking stuff that doesn’t improve any morale, even more on a teambased game.

Folks go play games to have fun, socialize, to distract of chores, to enjoy some time. Not to hear stuff that they would hear if they mess up on the job. If folks keep experiencing it on their free time those behaviors scalate and generate even more problematic behaviors.

90’s were the infancy of internet where mostly a really small subset folks were present
00’s were the popularity of several MMO and social games.
10’s started to be mainstream with several games starting to have better visibility and some stigmas from society being lifted, also booming mobile genre
20’s became part of folks daily lives (covid sped up the proccess)

Their systems aren’t okay, but folks shouldn’t forget that the game is a social experience and should behave as well mannered as if they’re iterating with folks they don’t know and need to work together.

Which in this regard, I often understand how my teammates play and act accordingly without needing more than Ping and Communication Wheel.

2 Likes

Yeah, but in gaming community terms OW has by far the softest most babied community.

I agree people in general are soft but most games don’t have the problem OW does. It’s easier to offend someone on OW then it is to offend them in FFXIV, R6, BF3, GW5, Guildwars 2… etc.

1 Like

More precisely it is the western gaming industry
Watch IGN’s review on Stellar Blade of how it “hurt REAL women” :rofl:

Yeah but articles like that have existed since the early days of gaming. The difference is that the balance of social oppression shifted from conservative/religious to more liberal/“educated”.

Let’s not forget how many people tried to shut down games like Diablo and Mortal Kombat. So articles like that are “normal”, the problem is that the player base expanded and added people who simply don’t share the same values as the more established gaming community. OW has a player population where the majority of player are casual and OW is the ONLY game they play.

While most gaming companies ignore the cries of these people opting to not put themselves in a position of having to baby their communities. Being that online player populations are by in large adults that should know how to handle themselves. Blizzard has decided that they do want to be put in this position likely given the type of people who play their games. (Not just OW all Blizzard games).

Anecdotally, I play FFXIV and the community was so much more friendly and easy going prior to the huge influx of stray WOW players. Everytime there is a report or drama in the forums it’s some ex WOW player who doesn’t understand the generally agreed rules of the existing FFXIV community and want to impose their own.

That and the fact that in my 25+ years of playing games online I have never been banned or actioned on any game but in OW I already lost 1 account. My behavior isn’t any different, the community is and it goes back to my point it’s just OW community that sucks.

In other news, local thief complains about doors being locked and police enforcing laws, more at 11!

3 Likes

People like you are the problem in OW. (I see you’re here again to add your bad takes).

2 Likes

Paws isn’t a problem. She’s got a point, she’s an icon, she’s a legend, and she :fish: is :tropical_fish: the :blowfish: moment. :shark:

So jot that down.