The Hero of Numbani out now!

For those unaware, Orisa will be getting a novel on June 2 with Efi, Doomfist, and Lúcio as other major characters. It will be written by Nicky Drayden, a young adult author specializing in African mythology. It will be about 300 pages long and focus on Omnic tensions heating up in Numbani as well as Orisa becoming a hero. Please note that the release date may be pushed back due to COVID-19.

Blizzard Article: Official Overwatch Novel: The Hero of Numbani - News - Overwatch

22 Likes

Totally forgot about this, super excited!

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard great things about Drayden’s work, though I remain cautiously optimistic as the book’s quality will also rely on how faithful it is to Overwatch. Even the best creators can mess up a franchise if they don’t have a lot of heart in it cough Rian Johnson directed Knives Out but The Last Jedi too cough

2 Likes

Man, there’s so little to go off of anyway and she has an impressive track record, not to mention specializes in both Afrofuturism and has a background in computer science, her writing would be a favor to this franchise if anything

3 Likes

Should be interesting. I wonder if it will have any in-game tie in, such as a skin or Twitch spray event, etc.

6 Likes

I’m excited!

1 Like

Ooooooh sounds like a great idea I hope we finally get Traffic Cop Orisa

1 Like

Does anyone know if they will be available in stores or can only be ordered online?

It is available through Amazon as a physical copy and an ebook.

I have my physical copy on order.

5 Likes

It’s not available digitaly in my country… I juste hope the physical copy won’t be delayed :s

1 Like

Super exciting! Fingers crossed that they don’t make the narrative weird like the Mercy short story!

1 Like

Don’t worry it’s not written by Michael Chu so we should be safe

1 Like

Honestly I’m so excited to hear more about all of doomfist’s dynasty and legacy upon them.

1 Like

I hadn’t even considered that! I really hope we get to see Doomfist in action too since the most we’ve seen him actually do is slap Genji and Tracer.

1 Like

And by doomfists I also meant all of them, The first who saved numbani during omnic crisis, the second who usurped all authority over this country, and the current one, who IMO seem to be in a crossroads between both of them. To tell more about them would be really cool and fitting for a whole novel rather than a short story.

2 Likes

Bump since it’s only ten days away. Also I understood how you meant the Doomfists before him too. We don’t really know all that much about the first two except how our Doomfist killed the Scourge and the stuff you mentioned already.

3 Likes

A preview of the novel has been posted on Scribd - you can read it here.

It’s a good introduction to Efi and her friends, and gives us a glimpse at how her intelligence has separated her from a normal childhood. There’s a bit of Lucio trivia in there (he wears size 10 skates), and a bit of cute worldbuilding. Overall, I loved it and I look forward to reading the full thing next week.

6 Likes

Size ten? “For example, Efi knew he wore size forty-two skates.”

I’m assuming that’s Brazillian size 42, which is the equivalent of an American size 10.5.
(yes I looked it up. https://www.convertworld.com/en/shoe-size/brazil.html)

2 Likes

That sounds really big considering his height.