The game keeps randomly minimizing

Been happening for at least a few weeks now.

WindowsFocusLogger gives me this:

Focus changed;10/04/2021 23:53:36;Name:;Processname:explorer;Offscreen:False;KeyboardFocus:False;UIenabled:True
Focus changed;10/04/2021 23:53:36;Name:Overwatch;Processname:explorer;Offscreen:False;KeyboardFocus:True;UIenabled:True
Focus changed;10/04/2021 23:53:36;Name:Overwatch;Processname:explorer;Offscreen:False;KeyboardFocus:True;UIenabled:True
Focus changed;10/04/2021 23:53:37;Name:Overwatch;Processname:Overwatch;Offscreen:False;KeyboardFocus:True;UIenabled:True
Focus changed;10/04/2021 23:53:37;Name:Overwatch;Processname:Overwatch;Offscreen:False;KeyboardFocus:True;UIenabled:True

This includes me trying to frantically alt-tab back in.

For comparison, alt-tabbing out on purpose looks like this:

Focus changed;11/04/2021 01:03:34;Name:;Processname:explorer;Offscreen:False;KeyboardFocus:True;UIenabled:True

Drivers are all up to date and whatnot.

Unfortunately, this is going to be related to a third-party software conflict, and not the Overwatch client itself. Tracking it down is tricky, especially with no app being mentioned by WindowFocusLogger. I recommend closing all background apps, including overlays like GPU capture software, Spotify, Discord, etc.

You can also try a new admin account to see if the software conflict is only one one account. Checking the Windows Reliability History or Event Viewer system logs might give clues, too.

I hope this helps.

The only startup item that was enabled was “Windows Security notification icon”. Couldn’t find any suspicious shell extensions, and none that were installed just before the problem started occurring.

Nothing interesting in Reliability History, and this is the only even log that occurred within two minutes of the above:

Event Time              Record ID   Event ID    Level       Channel                                      Provider                         Description                                                                                 Opcode Task Keywords           Process ID Thread ID Computer User Log File
2021-04-10 23:53:39.734 121786      325         Information Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment/Operational Microsoft-Windows-AppXDeployment Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy is registered in good state, skip re-registering it             0x4000000000010000 3232       17944     ******** ****

(This formatted weirdly. Try to read it like it’s two lines.)

None of my other games have this problem.

What about your DxDiag or MSInfo? Can you add those on Pastebin.com and link here? I suspect the GPU is crashing, causing the game to stop displaying for a moment.

https://pastebin.com/91R88pG6

Here’s DxDiag.

Drive: C:
Free Space: 6.5 GB
Total Space: 457.2 GB

Drive: E:
Free Space: 13.3 GB
Total Space: 446.4 GB

There weren’t any GPU crashes, but neither of the drives has enough space to function properly with Windows. With no room for the page file, it could cause the behavior you’re describing, but ultimately is hindering your overall system performance. You’ll want 15% free, at minimum, on all connected drives.

Does it matter if there’s already a 16GB pagefile on my C drive? Should I manually set a size for it?

I deleted some stuff in any case. We’ll see if it works.

The Windows Disk Cleanup utility will help remove old versions of Windows files you don’t need, as well as old error reports.

I’m at 60GB free now, and it’s still happening. I’m a little skeptical that this is the problem, because my disk has been near capacity since long before it started happening.

Well, I didn’t say this is the only problem, because I have no way of knowing. Like I mentioned before:

Which means this is not an issue officially supported in the forum. I’m just trying to offer suggestions instead of letting your thread go unanswered.

If you’re using any security software, it could be related to that. Some players have been experiencing issues with AVG and Avast. It could also be something else entirely, so shutting down all background apps, or switching to a new admin account, could help.

1 Like

I tried a new admin account, and I’m not using any special antivirus software. Still happening.

How can you be sure? As I said before, none of my other games have this problem.

I appreciate that, and Bliz should pay you.

Could you add an MSINfo on Pastebin for me after it minimizes?

I figured it out. If I turn really quickly and try to shoot, I end up clicking on the desktop on my second monitor, which then takes focus.

I’ve only been able to reproduce it after alt-tabbing out and back in first. Changing the window mode seems to fix it until I alt-tab again.

my game keeps minimizing too, i dont have second monitor
up to date drivers, ryzen 5900x + 3070, latest windows 10 version
audient id4 sound interface

Sometimes i was able to get back into the game if i turn off and turn on the Gsync mode in nvidia control panel, sometimes not. Also sometimes the game audio cut off and game screen freeze completely while im trying to alt-tab back. When it happens, the only possible way to get back the controls of the computer is log off from the windows profile.

All that mystery started to happen after april 2021 I suppose.

Well, after reading this, everything become more weird.

Cuz I bought Dark Project KD3b keyboard in April and during a few weeks i was really thinking i just pressed WIN or alt-tab by mistake.

Im having the same problem and have been having this issue for over a year. Overwatch is the only game that does this for me.