The game has become too team dependent

Yes, it is a team game, 100%

My point isnt that it shouldnt be, my point is that powercreep has gotten to a point that an individuals value is too easy to nullify. Upon reaching higher elos you’re entirely dependent on all 6 players being able to synergize with you properly. Things such as immortality field, flashbang (+225 ofc) echo beam, etc

I believe powercreep needs to be heavily addressed for the game to regress back to its state where having one weak link in your team didnt result in an almost guaranteed loss. Especially with how easy it is to get an account boosted, resulting in low elo players being placed in matches they dont belong, guaranteeing a loss because their presence in that game limits the amount of value their teammates can get.

25 Likes

We’ve been asking for power creep pull back for over a year now. Blizzard doesn’t listen. They don’t care.

19 Likes

i don’t want power creep at all but doesnt the removal of it mean the game is more team dependent since you have less things to carry yourself so you have to rely on your teammates way more

5 Likes

Blizz has been pulling back on team dependency for a long time, mostly with the tanks. Look at goats for instance and how the game changed from then to now.

I would like to see more changes to move further into that though, specially with the tanks that are still the most limited, team dependent role in the game.

6 Likes

This game core design is team play not individual play, if you dont like that then you bought the wrong game, there should be 0 carry potential in a team game, you either win as a team or lose as a team, stop try to change the core of this game

4 Likes

Except if you’re going to make a team game and then not offer tools in-game for coherent and consistent team-building and just expect six random idiots to cooperate without fail, you have failed at the basic concept of a team game.

A co-op game with randomized teams should encourage teamwork but it should not be an impossibly miserable experience if you don’t have it.

21 Likes

not really, most of the overpowered things added have been more “shut down” plays than “playmakers”

like echo punishes a rein just for dropping his shield for 2 swings in a row, immortality punishes a tracer just for using her ultimate, etc

1 Like

I would welcome a power reduction in ultimates for sure.

2 Likes

No, actually they haven’t. Only the tanks ever got buffs post-GOATS and largely those were buffs, not necessarily to reduce dependency.

Looking at it now, there’s more team dependency than ever, and certain heroes are performing better than they have in the past and continue doing so with the new composition.

EDIT: I do want to say that one of the goals in OW2 is to reduce dependency and create more individual effort and “carry” potential. Part of that requires improving the gunplay and reducing the barrier to entry for the Damage-role heroes.

2 Likes

It would be fine if it wasnt mostly the COD, halo, and are FPS players that bought this game and didnt read the discription completely, it is not just 6v6 like halo, it is a 6v6 team Based game, team is the important part, now if it was only players that want to play team based like me, randoms that all want to play team wouldnt be an issue, but many selfish players bought this game without looking it up and now it is slowly being ruined

1 Like

Yes if echo punishes rein then he got outplayed, if imortaliry feild beat tracers ult then she got out played she should have baited it out and then used her ult when imortality was on cooldown

Team-based hero shooter. Acknowledging that it’s team-based, as designed, and then criticizing that it shouldn’t be just sounds like nonsense, IMHO. Power creep should be addressed without removing the reliance on the team.

1 Like

Just because a game is team oriented doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look into giving the individual player a bit more agency.

Like sure, in the end it’s a team effort, but we have to consider how much impact the individual player should be allowed to have to contribute to the team effort.

8 Likes

In fact, i think Jeff denied it even exists, and he did say he wanted Overwatch to push away from CC and Barriers to push the game into the FPS section more than MOBA.

You are late to the party friend. The wave of “This game is too team dependent” posts already happened around the time they released role lock in competitive and QP. If you want to leech onto the current trend I see the current fad is playing news reporter with the Blizzard Sexual Harassment scandals. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Immortality also punishes half the ults like dragon or tire that would win a fight with smart decision making

And it also punishes you for ulting proactively, so they get to ult first if you dont have a bap so your ults automatically get less value than theirs. As sigma there might be a really good opportunity to flux, and I need to ult before they do or they win, but they just press E

5 Likes

Ulting into a team that has an ability to stymie that ult is not smart decision making.

Throwing tire at a Bap who still has immo available is as silly as throwing D.Va bomb at a Rein who still has his shield, or throwing grav at a D.Va who still has DM.

If you’re going to commit your ult, shoot Baptiste first, force out IF, and then let fly on him.

2 Likes

I’m happy the game is team dependent. I think it should be, and I think there’s some reasons that this community generally has problems with that… where as other communities might not, as much.

It’s a tough subject, but Eastern mentality vs Western mentality is notable.

2 Likes

Team should be welcomed help, not a burden. In Overwatch, it’s often a burden - if hero requires team to work around them to not be useless, that hero is unlikely to be picked.

You can expect 2 players working together in at least 90% of games. Anything more and odds of encountering it drop dramatically.

2 Likes

I don’t entirely feel to comfortable getting into my PoV of it, but the Western community seems to have (in a few games I’ve played) a general issue or problem working as a team; often they seem to focus either on themselves, or just their duo/stack. It seems to be common place that Western players are egotistical (maybe that’s the wrong term) in this sense, and are keen to focus only on the aforementioned, even at times using this as a scapegoat, or a blame-game way of excusing themselves from playing poorly. Eastern or Asian players on the other hand… seem to have a better understanding of what it means to work as a team, or in other games I’ve played even as an entire faction. Obviously this isn’t meant to be an absolute statement…

Now, I’m not trying to say OW isn’t perhaps overly team dependent, I mean yeah, that’s hard, especially with 6 people it makes it very hard, but I also think that’s what the ranking system needs… otherwise you get people who probably shouldn’t be in GM being in GM, or even in the league, by being carried by other players.

Now, what your comment means to me regarding say, a hero pick, that’s probably true, in that certain heroes need the entire team composition to work around them… but that’s probably more of a balance issue in acute circumstances than it is the game being too team dependent in general… which if that’s what the core discussion is here I apologize for missing it.