The forced 50% w/r does exist on paper in solo comp

i get that some folks think that Mass Rez is a silly topic to discuss

but after hundreds of threads and tens of thousands of posts on the subject over the last few years, I dont think this topic is considered silly by many, many folks, and as such I dont think age of a topic is a factor

2 Likes

After hundreds of threads and tens of thousands of posts I think the subject is more silly than ever and gets increasingly sillier with every passing day.

1 Like

many others clearly disagree

4 Likes

Doesn’t make them right.

2 Likes

I would think it more correct to say that it doesnt make them right or wrong

Given that there are no rules preventing discussion of an event from long ago, I would say that neither side is wrong

specifically, it is ok to think such old topics are silly, and it is also ok to take them seriously and continue discussing them

as such, I dont think either side can be considered “right” here, in the context of this then meaning the other side is wrong. Both are judgements/opinions, and ergo, neither is wrong per se.

1 Like

I can’t keep up with the conversation in this thread. I just want to say: I approve of players discussing MMR and forced 50% match odds. But please don’t conflate forced 50% odds (which is algorithmic handicapping) with forced 50% WIN RATE, which is something else and actually not true in Overwatach.

6 Likes

no one needs your approval for anything.

4 Likes

Holy snoodles.

You actually took my advice and corrected people who are misinterpreting your posts.

I have to say, Cuth, I’m proud of you.

Here is where we left off 4 years ago, btw.

The question I asked is at the bottom. I admit, I have been curious.

2 Likes

Thanks Ozone, I do try to correct every misunderstanding about the MMR/SR/PBSR system whether it’s from someone else’s camp or my own. The fact is that these systems are exceedingly complicated, Blizzard’s own representatives like Jeff Kaplan have told us so. There is a lot to understand about each component of the system and how it interacts with the other components.

By the same token, there is room for misunderstanding MMR/SR/PBSR, especially when we are being fed both implied and explicit lies from primary sources such as Kaplan. When a person is deceived at the outset, I try not to hold subsequent confusion against them. Some of the misunderstandings are unique to and individual, others are shared. I’ll take another pass at the question you asked in 2018, thanks for bringing it up.

1 Like

God damn why do u people talk like redditors noone cares about the word soup u can string together to make a point. People scoffing behind a keyboard has totally derailed away from the point of this forums post.

those people who say that for those of us that get stuck with the smurfs who clearly belong in a higher rank and derank on purpose to curbstomp players who clearly cant play at their skill. “get good”, or you don’t deserve to climb. consider the following.

your career profile tracks an absolutely insane number of statistics…to the point where an algo can filter those stats alone and determine what the rank is before you even play a comp game.

so my conspiracy theory is: blizzard won’t do anything about smurfs and they force a 50% win rate because it sells alt accounts. Ill accept that maybe im not good enough to climb…but why do i have to get curb-stomped by players who clearly don’t belong in that rank?

Anyways I’ve been playing the last month even swapped to windows from Linux and got a new gpu to boost my framerates. I’m playing better and hitting more shots but I just get tossed games. Unfortunately this argument I stated doesn’t even factor anymore. The issue now lies with the player base and a lack of interest.

My last month I haven’t had a single game that felt as if 6 people wanted to win on my team. Every match there are people playing quick play + deathmatch style, there is a thrower, a Smurf or a cheater every game. It’s just not what it used to be. I climbed from gold to high plat (2980) but it was nothing but backpacking. The mmr misbalance is so crazily spread that u will play games with tanks that int, can’t use cooldowns and supports that can’t do the same or someone on dps that plays tank for some reason in your game that can’t build a single ult all push. ZERO communication. ZERO support in solo ZERO peel. It’s just chaos and it’s not fun. I’m moving to games that actually bring me enjoyment because overwatch simply doesn’t anymore and I played on console for 5 years. I loved this game it was unique unfortunately the development team ruined it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that debate HAS happened and Donald Trump was part of it. Yes, it was absurd, also nobody knows why Donald Trump is here

1 Like

nice introduction, now please show me the paper.

1 Like

If only such a thing existed. You might actually get your request.

3 Likes

How all my overdosed copium addicts doing today?

5 Likes

not here to argue, just telling everyone that you are right and they are wrong if they disagree

i say its not forced, it attempts to make every match a 40-60% chance and 50 is simply the average of that. you could be anywhere in that range in theory. you could be over or under too because its not perfect and no game is

2 Likes

I personally think there is too big of a deviation on a player by player basis.

It’s because there’s a huge variation per player, for many, if not most, players.

Start off in the afternoon with a cup of coffee and stop at 4 am with an empty bottle of Tequila.

It’s a game. People don’t take it that seriously. The best majority of people aren’t aspiring e-athletes. They’re having fun, but there can be a huge variation in skill over time, even without malicious behavior.

Most people just want to play, and after a few games they’re far from they’re best simply due to fatigue.

2 Likes

A 50% win rate means the skill-based matchmaking is working and you’ve plateaued.

The game isn’t rigged, you just need to improve.

I don’t know why people keep arguing about this.

It’s not a hard concept.

4 Likes