The first uncounterable meta

Hog is broken. He was broken before they buffed him recently. Genji was fine before they broke his character, too. Rather than fix the huge problem they created with cancel deflect, they nerfed his damage. They need to revert every single buff on every single character that they made this year.

Hog isnt broken, he is VIABLE, and good at exploiting bad play. Bad habits like hanging out in the open because you used to have barriers protect you are working against you.

Aggressive playstyles that havent been seen since the end of dive are opening back up, time to scrap off that rust.

I have seen more zarya and ball than roadhog since the changes.

3 Likes

not to mention 141 was having good success against it late last season before 222 made it impossible to run…i suspect echo might be pretty good against it as well…

most effective doesnt mean you CANT counter…see above example…its just hard to do…it is a LOT easier to just mirror and may best team win so to speak…but far from uncounterable…

this current meta (which isnt by any stretch of imagination settled after a few days) will have counters as well…but people will mostly mirror…as always

I kinda wonder If hog is just exploiting how bad we all got at this game too. Because for so long we’ve been used to hiding behind barriers and forgot how to pay attention to flankers and such. It’s kinda like in low tiers when the Repear is missing forever and then everyone is shocked when he jumps down and ults them all. I wonder If after a few weeks people will learn how to pay attention better and Hog pickrate will go down.

I think it is just complacency, you cant demand the tanks switch to barrier for an easier match.

one “pros” opinion on this “uncounterable” meta…(language)

1 Like

If they’re talking about OWL then yeah I agree. But Hog/Zarya is easier for ladder because it doesn’t require as much teamwork.

Once people learn to respect the hook again, hog will go back to being a threat that is easily countered and farmed. High risk, high reward, as it should be.

You should just take a Moira and Bapt, supports heal through everything because they are OP.

Original Dive had no counterplay, it was mirror matches with the same 6-7 heroes for a full year.

1 Like

GOATS and double shield was so broken, this is way easier to play into

Thats for you, double shields enables melee characters, doomfist and brig namely , rn they are as useless as a train in an airport , double snipers and hog/zarya is kinda meta rn

1 Like

Most effective tactic is a very general thing to say especially in a game like that.
shields can be op against heroes that can hit them like soldier:76 but then you got heroes like Winston or Doomfist that don’t care for them at all.
How can something be strong when it doesn’t really exist for some heroes…
metas are just the best general composition to get the most value but it is possible to counter them.
double shields was orisa/rein-sigma-mccree-ashe. Now what stops your team from picking Bastion and just melt the shields behind your own shield? take high ground and enjoy the fight.
It’s not like there’s not a solution, but bastion is so easy to counter with the right team so people prefer going for a general comp with the highest chances of winning rather than one super counter that can also be super countered…

While what your saying it’s true.
I believe we have enough info from the tank category to understand what will be the new meta just by statistic alone.
Orisa & sigma are out of the picture from their current pick rate in gm and changes…
divers are weak to zarya-hog so they’re not gonna take the place.
And that leaves us with rein,zarya and hog.
maybe rein will be part of the meta- who knows. but right now it looks like an advantage for Zarya considering she counters more of hog’s counters.
Since hog has such a high damage and survive ability it’s safe to build a team around counters to him and heroes that synergy with him.

before anything snipers don’t really need healing so that solves that problem… now add to the mix the fact tanks don’t always have to push, it depends on the situation. Maybe it will be a snipers vs snipers before it turns into snipers &tanks vs tanks, maybe rein will be played on offense while Zarya on defense like with double shields when we had defense Orisa and offense Rein.
There are a lot of ways for the meta to be good, just need to wait and see.

Yes because the changes are different. Genji’s changes made him better at his own job, so in a way they pushed him a bit too far but in the right way.

For hog he got buffs while the rest got nerfed… meaning he got 2 changes not 1.
Now hog already had high survive ability and hook was not that hard to pull if enemies don’t run shields. now shields are super weak, road is super strong so now he can burn everything in his way and one shot heroes pretty well.
right now he feels like if you’re playing to close you’re gonna die in couple of seconds…
And it’s already not the job of tanks to get kills, only to make space.
so in a way they increase his potential as a dps instead of touching the tank subject- so now he’s the best dps option there it and except for Zarya no one can really stop him…
And even she struggles.

And then you have to remember Zarya exists in that meta as well and for a reason. bubble cancels all the effects…

You think that way but you have to remember no one in that list except for zarya can attack and deffend at the same time so already more time for hog. now look at hog alone. in one clip he can melt 1/2 of rein’s shield.
But Rein needs much more to deal with him.
You have to remember hog posses a 1 shot ability now, so if he suceed at hooking your brig or Mei they are dead on spot.
Why bothering fighting him in close range where you can die instantly when you can play from range?

Hog right now posses tons of power being able to one shot every squishy so only long range is possible so that’s what people do, but in long range there aren’t a lot of options… that queen of that range are ashe and widow so they are the dps pick…
Sure shields can stop Hog’s hook but no shield can really stand hog for more than couple of seconds…

people now days play widow-ashe as the main dps. you have to be a really good zen in order to play him and get enough value against such dps…

both tanks are really good tracer counter… hog can one shot and zarya can bubble a target while using her beam to follow tracer…
A very scary experience for Tracer.

I’n gonna compare Roadhog to a dps in porpuse because he doesn’t posses anything a tank should posses except for being able to hook a player from a team member… and his high survive ability I guess but it’s something all tanks have in one form or another.

Hog can one shot any squishy with 250 hp while also having 900 hp (600+healing) and about 206.5 damage per second.
A normal dps has maximum 300hp, not 600-900hp and can do the same damage in general.

Considering the fact each role should be good in it’s own place, hog present much more value as a dps than any other. Ofcourse he has some traits of a tank but it’s a fact he out play almost every hero in the game right now…
If you’re not playing far enough you will die.
Tanks should be opressive but they should use their damage for defensive reasons- punishing enemies that came into their range, not for searching for kills offensively.

So overall Roadhog right now is a super hero considering he got benefits from both roles without giving up on a lot. he’s a dps with tanks benefits.

It all deppends on rank… in diamond and above hog rules the game. with a pretty crazy pick rate… 36% at gm…

Might be right although Ana& d.va can posses a great danger to her.

I agree and I really hope you’re right… I’m just afraid because when I tried searching for counters myself I really didn’t find any answer… the meta counters itself.
Hog is the strongest tank by far being only countered by Zarya who’s his partner in that meta.
both can easily beat anyone in close range.
And the dps are the best in long range, meaning you can win them from range so I don’t know how will you counter it… The best idea I have in mind is dive and just ignored the tanks.

I’m sorry but I just can’t see how this comp will counter the meta… UNLESS it will focus on the dps first… it requires some testings but it we look at hog zarya alone, this comp has noting on them really… Winston can be easily countered by Roadhog, Sigma can be countered by both, or if they go D.va then Zarya will counter d.va, sombra can be easily countered by a good bubble and the support and ashe are what we have now really…

He might be right but I still think that hog-zarya can be really good against that comp if they will be played in a death ball kind of composition being close to each other and all of that…

The thing with tanks is that they should always give you more than 1 solution in order not to be too op.
shields for example, break them or go by.
current Roadhog don’t let you get value from all ranges or at least different damage forms. you simply CANT fight him close… it’s really broken considering he’s not even a punisher anymore, right now he can go chasing kills himself since he has noting to fear.

Hook can just pull any hero outside of the lamp’s range.
Moira has a giant head, it will be extremely hard to play her in high ranks against 2 snipers without a proper shield. not to mention this meta is a lot about 1 shots so you want heroes that can deal with that like Ana and Mercy who either encourage it or counter it.

Technically Rein-Zarya-Mei-Reaper countered it. Dive had counters but we didn’t really have any anti dive support heroes so a good coordinated dive just jumped on a support and that’s about it… noting else the support can do.
Ana got sleep dart +nade and lucio got speed but that’s the maximum they could do. maybe include mercy for pharah-mercy range protection but it’s not an amazing option…
You could technically counter dive with the rest of the heroes, it had counters from different roles.
This meta really has no counters from any role…
I mean, in theory Orisa could have been that counter but in her current state she’s no where near a counter.
She was nerfed into the ground and the only benefit she has is immunity to hook using her fortify.

Doom has been useless since the uppercut nerf

1 Like

Actually , the first nerf was terry crews nerf , they didnt pick him to voice act (not saying that his voicr actor is not legendary, and dey say and dey say and dey say)

1 Like

To be honest he’s not that bad… Just today I took him for lijang towers and I pretty much carried my whole team with him… he’s not that great for all modes but in controll he really got the… upper hand (sorry I had to :joy:)

He’s good on control center because of all the walls

Dude im a doomfist main, he is plauged with over 50 recorded and common bug (common enough to appear every game) with ways to recreate them, the devs arent interested in fixing him

I don’t see the problem here to be honest… makes sense it will be good in a place that enables his abilities :sweat_smile:

didn’t say it was a problem?