The devs need to do more with supports

Being able to give their team armour and shields

Who remembers the good old days when Brigitte’s repair pack gave armour and Symmetra was a support who could give shields?

They were unique, they felt different and brought something to the team that wasnt just “epic healz”

But the devs have been systematically removing support characters ability to support the team in any way that isnt healing like it’s a bad thing that there were supports who weren’t just heal bots

I think Brigitte should get armour overheal back on her repair packs but have it slowly add on over time like it heals over time (alongside plenty of over Brigitte changes I would make, but that’s a story for a different thread)

And maybe for Overwatch 2 we can get a support that gives shields like Sym used to

Edit: and they can ALSO heal while still providing shields/armour

7 Likes

I would like to see non-healing supports in this game

7 Likes

Those are called dps heroes.

DPS heroes… who’s primary focus is supporting their team by enhancing their health via shields and armour…

None of them don’t heal.

Yea but a support doesnt have to heal to be a support

3 Likes

low key, it’d be a whole lot easier to balance the game and would make tanks + support roles more attractive if every role was dps but with slightly augmented jobs, i.e. similar to battlerite.

We’ve already seen a ‘‘support’’ symmetra.
You would never, ever, ever want a Symmetra over an actual support that can heal. She’s always been considered a dps.

2 Likes

Will this concept sounds intersting I think it would be hard to implement, when you have to give up one of your two support slots for it.

Giving up one healing support in 222 is unlikely to work.

Throwing out shields or armour only gets you so far.

The problem is, this game, even since launch, relies on healing way too much on healing to survive. It would almost never be worth giving up a support slot. Zen and Lucio, who are most, commonly picked for their utility, can still heal.

To further emphasize, having a pure utility support would be like what Sombra is to the dps role.

1 Like

Then these heroes could definitely also heal but I’d like to see supports with kits that can also enhance their teams health as well as restoring it, since every support expect Brigitte right now just heals and that’s it

That’s only an issue because healing is too important. Tone that down and give everyone passive out-of-combat regen, then you can have viable non-healing supports.

Doubt it will work, we know what happend with support symmetra

Damage reduction would be the same as healing in combat and would reduce the stress of the other support would have solo healing.

Don’t think it’s really fair to use Symm as a good example. We never got another non-healing support. The fact that Blizz’s solution for sustain was just “more healing” has cause more issues then solved them.

1 Like

Because they removed Brigs armor they want every Support to be a healbot? They also nerfed Brigs healing a lot, they nerfed wverything about Brig, not just the utillity

Those were not good old days, lol

And Symmetra was never a support, fight me

To be fair, we do have a mechanic for OOC healing- healthpacks (and technically you dont even have to wait to be OOC to use them). But too many players in this game are too lazy/entitled to actually USE healthpacks and would rather spam for heals even if their Supports are unavailable to help them.

But anyways, back to OP’s topic- I would like to see more creative utilities in Support kits. I hope whenever OW2 is released with (hopefully) more Support heroes, that we can see some fun ideas there. In addition to armor/shields, we could really use some more buffing/debuffing Support abilities. Like cleansing teammates, buffing/debuffing cooldowns or firing speed or things like that.