The Acti-Blizz Layoffs From Feb. Aren't Over Yet

sigh
French office in Versailles got the slips too. Hope they find work soon.

4 Likes

Activision will kill this company it’s just a matter of time. They are just milking as much money as they can from OW and other tittles before burying Blizzard.

12 Likes

I wouldnt want to have business in Europe currently tbh. But yeah Activision is no bueno and needs to go

well… the OW community had a good run, it can only go downhill from here…

If that happens Blizz is gone too. And iirc, isnt Acti-Blizz owned by a french company? Vivendi?

I wish to note that the original 800 quote includes all of activision blizzard, and that includes international offices for blizzard. These are not new layoffs from the original announcement, but are just now simply starting to take place. Furthermore, according to outside news sources, only approximately 220 blizzard employees have been laid off.

13 Likes

Eh, at least if Blizzard dies I have Nintendo.

So, uh. Probably shouldn’t expect OW2 or any game changer expansions huh?

Not memeing, I feel pretty bad for the Blizz people that might’ve been hoping the Acti- Blizz merger would improve conditions or at least offer more job security only to get fired after a groundbreaking year of fiscal success. Feels super scummy as a consumer.

7 Likes

but thats still 220 less employees to make and add content to the game…

Not necessarily actually

This is not entirely accurate, The majority of the layoffs that occurred in February were of the publisher, customer service, and community departments. They’re actually expanding their positions for the development teams.

There is no denying that any layoffs for any company really do suck however.

7 Likes

And the thing is, The customer support staff are some of the nicest, patient, and most understanding people in the company. I have been helped many times by CS, and they always made me feel good about the whole ordeal. It’s a real shame they did this.

2 Likes

Hey Blizz, how long you going to stay while Activision grinds you into the dirt. Show some spine as they crush you . . .

1 Like

Nice conspiracy theory. Shame it’s nonsense.

Because it totally has not been downhill for Blizz since that merger right?

1 Like

conspiracy theory? yeah because the last year was just a dream i had right?

1 Like

Some people just love actiblizz too much. You’ll never get anywhere arguing with them.

I know this is why i said that so whatever the person answers i’ll ignore lol

That’s up from the 134 they announced in Feb.

Big mergers like Activision-Blizzard are always going to benefit the high level executives and shareholders more than anyone else. Short-term profits at all costs seems to be the name of the game for execs and shareholders, so we see tone-deaf interactions like the infamous “you all have phones don’t you?” as focuses shift and trends are chased.

I briefly worked in the videogame industry, and it took me only a few months to become completely jaded. Programmers are underpaid and undervalued, testers are treated like cannon fodder, and the general atmosphere is one of constant stress and very little reward. You either have to be truly passionate about your work and/or a little unstable to stick around in the industry, IMO.

I don’t think Blizzard merging with Activision suddenly turned Blizzard into an awful developer, but I see it as sort of a ticking time bomb. When the visionary devs and designers aren’t appreciated and their work is scrapped in favor of pursuing the next exploitative mobile game, battle royale, or whatever else is popular, they’ll burn out and move on to another studio or another industry. I still have faith in Overwatch because it’s still incredibly fun in my experience, and Jeff is one of the old guard who seems to have a genuine passion for the game as far as I can tell. Blizzard can still make good games, but the odds of that happening are lowered when a giant merger happens.

2 Likes