Thank you Blizzard for not allowing politicization on your platform

I’m okay to censor things, only if it don’t align with my opinions … Western values yay !

Maybe you should try living in China, they have a similar mindset :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

American contracts should never breach America human rights.

2 Likes

The Umbrella Movement/Revolution started in 2014 with the HK democracy protests of 2014 where protestors occupied the streets for 79 days demanding transparency in Chinese elections, and a proper democracy following Chinese interference from their way of life post-Hong Kong Handover from the UK back to China.

Since then, multiple efforts from China have been made to criminalize the freedoms HK had while being a UK territory.

You’re clearly not American. This happens regularly.

That aside, I’ll keep saying it… Freedom of speech does not apply to non-government matters.

Even uneducated Americans mistake this and attempt to spotlight it, but ultimately learn their entire perception of freedom of speech is incorrect.

Non-government entities do not have to provide a soapbox to everyone. Saying they must allow soapboxes to everyone if one person happened to make a soapbox is a gross misunderstanding of what freedom of speech is.

They created a megathread only because that’s the best way to control the situation and to prevent being spammed by multiple threads of people being angry at them. It’s similar to what happened to the Mercy rework megathread.

1 Like

I think I remember hearing of the Umbrella Movement back then, altho my memory is kind of blurry.

Well to be fair, it’s not impossible that there has been some “silence” over the subject. That being said, so much is happening all around the world, the situation in HK might have not evolved enough to be worthy of being spoken on a regular basis, until recently.

There is so much conflicts around the world, it is hard to keep track about all of them.

But I get your point.

International business can’t afford to work that way. They’d have to discontinue business with most of the rest of the world. It’s wrong to project and enforce American ideals on other countries and our ideals shouldn’t be the expectation outside of America.

It’s not up to Blizzard to dictate social and foreign policy to other countries. They’re an entertainment company. I bet you wouldn’t like it if other countries tried to impose their values on you. They also believe that their ways are the right ones.

4 Likes

They make megathreads for any topic that overtakes the forums’ discussion of anything else. It’s not unique to unpopular issues.

Biggest sickening sycophant thread ever. Where’s my bucket, blleeeuuurrrgggghhhh!

Social expectations in China forced Blizzard to fire casters that disassociated themselves with Blitzchung’s comments.

China is LITERALLY, not figuratively, LITERALLY doing this to HK.

4 Likes

My point is they did it to keep things controlled not because they’re being tolerant.

This wasnt related to a Blizzard stream.

Can’t be a double standard, because no one in France attempted to soapbox their victory in a Blizzard tournament.

Non-government entities do not have to provide a soapbox to everyone. Saying they must allow soapboxes to everyone if one person happened to make a soapbox is a gross misunderstanding of what freedom of speech is.

Explain to me how it would work then. If we allow some political messages to be spread, but forbid others. There will be ultimately people who will complain the same way many are doing right now. Why should one voice be allowed to talk and not others ? What makes an opinion more worthy than another one ?

Imagine a scenario (in another timeline) where Blizzard would come to forbid discussion of LGBT issues. No doubt half of this forum would jump the ship of “they’re censoring us to appease to the conservatives !!”

Where do we draw the line of what’s acceptable and what isn’t ? What’s acceptable to you won’t be necessarily acceptable for others. And at some point it will end up in censorship. And that is unacceptable.

By acting like Blizzard did, they didn’t promote censorship, they enforced their stance of “no politics here” and every of their eSport player signed a contract with this rule, so they don’t have to deal with these kind of problems later. Politicization makes things really messy and we’ve seen that a lot since 2016.

3 Likes

Social expectations didn’t get those casters fired; Their failure to control the interview did. They’re expected to keep anything that breaches tournament policy from making it on-air.

It literally doesn’t matter when it comes to a video game tournament platformed by a country on the other side of the world. There are bad things going on all over the world. There’s genocide, slavery, martial law, and every other terrible thing you can think of happening right now somewhere in the world. Is it up to Blizzard to publicly condemn all of those things? Do they tacitly support all those things by disallowing people from railing about them during victory speeches? Or does it make more sense for them to just be an entertainment company and host an inclusive environment for everyone? How is that not the best possible course of action for them as an American entity with no control over what a foreign government does?

4 Likes

China is LITERALLY, not figuratively, LITERALLY doing this to HK.

In this case, don’t act the same way as those you’re complaining about ? It’s crazy to hear so many people going “respect the culture of other people” and then the next minute “stop talking/doing business with these people until they behave like us !”

1 Like

Human rights are an agenda now. Wow.

4 Likes

It’s reasonable to combine like 20-30 different topics about the same thing into one to keep the forum more clear.

arguing that the RIGHTS of LGBT (or anyone’s) is “not politics”.

Suuuure.

HK situation goes further than “evil Chinese hitting innocent protesters”. These protesters have a political motive behind and the situation is very complex. So yes, it’s politics.

2 Likes

Sure. As I said, that’s not my point. My point was to say they did not do it because they were “tolerant”.

they arent neutral… they even globally censored thiers games to satisfy china government =\

1 Like