Tank role is stressful and unforgiving

I’ve been taking a break from competitive, been sticking to arcade as I enjoy tanking but the atmosphere in competitive matches feels awful playing as tank.

I decided to jump back into a competitive game after a few days and the first match I get told to unalive myself, I’m trolling and told I’m not receiving any more healing because of it. The moment the team is losing, the tank player is the first to be blamed.

I can’t make room up front, and kill the reaper that is flanking from behind. I can only do one or the other, sadly because there’s only one tank in the game. You then demand I join voice chat just to hear you complain more?

I’m not sure if I will match up for tank role the rest of the season. I don’t know how to improve the tanking experience, but as of lately it’s been unfun, stressful and unforgiving.

3 Likes

I also hate tanking in 5v5 because it gives me anxiety being a solo tank, that’s expected to: set the pace, create space, initiate attacks, and peel all by myself.

Also, I’d recommend turning both text & voice chat OFF in the settings, because overWatch has an extremely toxic community.

3 Likes

Reposting Flats’s description of Seagull’s brief return to tank:

We had Seagull come back this week and because the wide group thing was ****ed, we ended up finding a nice sweet spot narrow group and he had to play tank for us. He played three games of tank, and I’m not joking, on game three he, like, you could hear it in his voice how upset he was. Like, he was legitimately upset. He was like “Guys, I can’t, I can’t do this. I’m gonna get off, I’m literally gonna stop stream. I’m not playing anymore. I’ll play support, I’ll play anything else, please.” And we’re like “ok”. It’s not like Seagull doesn’t play Tank, he played D.Va in Overwatch League. He knows what he’s doing, it’s just, he was so mentally falling apart, he just couldn’t do it anymore.

And that wasn’t even solo queue.

2 Likes

I just had a 10 day break from tanking and tonight I went back and tried again. After about 6 games of playing against orisa I started to just throw orisa games in QP - if only you could leave rather than throw! When anyone called me out I just said I had enough orisa games and ppl seemed ok with that as they have all had enough too.

They can’t patch orisa out of the game soon enough if they want to have any tank players left by the end of S10.

I’ve been doing that (hiding chat except in custom games) and I had quite a substantial improvement in experience.

Tanking is already pain enough I don’t need more insults coming from both teams

1 Like

I gave up tanking in comp. I’ll do it in quick play because most of the time people aren’t playing hard meta and you can have fun with it. But even then, I normally play either support or DPS.

Playing tank right is just emotional trauma simulator. I don’t play video games to stress myself more. I have my job and taxes for that.

1 Like