Tank feels nigh unplayable with discord in its current state

I mean the only reason we haven’t really seen anything of that yet was because it came as part of the last info dump at least that is when issue was brought up to them as a major concern. As such any changes that would come of it would in the next build, info dump, beta, a streamer getting drunk and leaking info.

You know the next one of those.

but joking aside the build we were shown was still in the Implementation phase, where they were still adding and testing the functionality of content. More so then any form of major balancing.

Or simply that build specifically was months old even at that point in time and it’s simply something they put together with a quick coat of polish to show while the dedicated their resources to the actual product.

If it’s gonna have a cooldown, then it also needs to permanently stick to it’s target for a duration

Zenyatta has no abilities outside of his orbs, and the discord orb does nothing on it’s own while the harmony orb does literally nothing for Zen. The orbs need to be strong.

2 Likes

Okay here’s the rub: Overwatch 2 is a promise, a word, not action, marketing. I’d like to believe said word was given in sincerity by Joshua Noh (a dev I find very capable might I add) in that particular AMA, but Noh is just one person and we all know who leads the hero design team.

Nevertheless, behind the scenes and upon release, OW2 may be so good as to usher a new age of enlightenment on humankind, but right now, it is as useful to us players as a picture of food is to a starving man. So forgive me for my crooked posture, for I keep hope in one shoulder and crap on the other and only one of those carries weight right now.

Even so, allow me to take, for moment, my contagious, overbearing and sparkling positive attitude together with the unfathomable trust I have on this dev’s capability and put it all aside for a moment. With that mind, let’s entertain the notion that devs might, just might, not get it right for OW2 day one, that possibility makes the promise even less reassuring and more problematic than anything.

Now that’s a wild the idea, that the devs might not fix a problem fast enough - like that ever happened - but just in case it would be incredibly beneficial to see action, solutions right now since the problem isn’t hypothetical but actual, nor they are new but old enough to blow a candle on the birthday cake.

It’s not free value.

That’s consistent with percentage reductions on defense. 1/5th.

Which are not Tanks, considering they can block thousands of points of damage and not die to many ultimates.

Consistent with relative value of the roles in terms of HP. Tanks usually have two to three times more health than the rest of their team, such that two Tanks is equal to four other members. (4 non-tanks is 600 health, equal to Roadhog and D.va, without factoring effective HP).

Correct. Though they probably already know why it happens, the solution isn’t exactly clear without putting more power into Tanks.

It’s been consistently a problem since day one of the beta. Discord’s percentages have always been tweak relative to Zen’s own damage output. More recently; Zen’s Discord has been tweaked downward without adjusting Zen’s own output in relation.

Burst damage really isn’t the problem. Hasn’t been since… well… before GOATS.

Kinda irrelevant.

Not necessarily. Zenyatta still provides healing - a rare tool considering the roster. Additionally, Discord isn’t unique, there’s a ton of damage amplification in the game at this point.

See above. Discord has been recently tuned downward without adjusting Zen’s own output. While I could see further downward adjusts would necessitate a change in Zenyatta’s own output (or perhaps source another avenue such as healing); this isn’t necessarily true, either.

Burst damage hasn’t gone up. And Zenyatta’s own burst damage tends to be better or very competitive with the rest of the Damage-role roster.

This is partially false.

This is false.

This is irrelevant.

This would not work in Zen’s favor.

This is partially false. Zen does have abilities outside of his own orbs that includes his ultimate and his basic and alternative fires. While orbs do need to have some effect, the degree that they have can always be adjusted.

If you’re looking for solutions, you need not be so binary about it.

Even should you reduce Discord’s effectiveness to 5% increase damage, that does nothing for an unguarded Roadhog being focused-fired. Even should you reduce every single damage-role hero’s damage to 10 damage per second, it would still do little address the issues you might have.

Fortify, TAB, Barriers, Kinetic Grasp, Defense Matrix, Armor, and Healing aren’t enough damage mitigation?

Compare this with damage sources; Damage over time (only two sources), direct damage, beam damage.

Acting like 3 is an immense amount of time to hide behind cover. When it takes at least 15 to recover from a death.

Stop playing Roadhog against Zenyatta?

There is some aiming required, but you are correct that it is very easy to place on a target compared to say… detonating a dynamite. Support abilities tend to be very easy to apply or utilize. Whipshot is as big as Roadhog’s own Hook, and both are easier to land than a Helix Rocket by comparison (although, not too much more).

One wonders if we should just make Discord a projectile that has a possibility of missing with a 2 or 3 second cooldown.

We still do have endlessly cycling barriers, and originally Defense Matrix wasn’t limitless (and FYI, it still has an internal cooldown of 1 second).

Damage amps have increased since Overwatch’s launch, this is true. Originally, only Mercy and Zenyatta’s provided damage-boosts. Now we have Tanks, and two more Supports providing damage-boosting. But the big stars continue to be the original two damage-boosters; Mercy and Zenyatta.

I agree that it’s the damage creep that’s making discord problematic. My main point was that discord is an unfun ability to use as zen and it’s not really healthy for the game anymore because of damage creep. Regardless of there being a damage creep or not, I’d rather want zen to have utilities that’s more engaging rather than just slapping on discord on enemies. Immortality Field is also a rather boring utility to use as baptiste as well and could’ve been designed better.

Ana’s sleepp dart, anti-nade and moira’s biotic orb are examples of utilities from the support roster that’s dynamic and engaging. From the DPS roster, an example of an engaging utility would be Ashe’s dynamite, mei’s ice wall. From the tank roster, it’s orisa’s halt, zarya’s projected barrier, sigma’s accretion etc.

I think “damage creep is making Discord problematic or at the very least more problematic” is a given, goes without saying at this point, and from every class not just DPS.

But we’re not exactly in Eden here and devs just buffed Storm Arrows, Roll and Torb’s Shotgun. We need crap to get done yesterday. The minutia doesn’t matter anymore, the nukes are in the air people, we can theorize pretty solutions later but right we need to start moving.

2 Likes

I don’t include ultimates as abilities since every character has one. It’s a basic move.

I’ll be honest, I’d rather have a discord orb on my butt as a tank for an entire game than getting hacked even once while protecting a choke point. It’s really far from the most problematic enemy ability tank players have to overcome.

But if they nerf it I want Transcendence to cleanse anti-nade and discord every enemy in range just so that I can have a “f*** you all” Ult after the rest of Zen’s kit became pointless.

1 Like

His right-click is another problem with a game based around lots of chokes. When I play Zen I spam right-clicks into chokes and have to check the kill-feed to see who I am killing. A bit like junk or hanzo but with even more damage when you get lucky, and usually it’s going to be a tank that takes all the orbs, making yet another burst damage against tanks.

1 Like

Helping Tanks means nerfing supports and their utility :slight_smile:

If anything, bap and brig are what make zen so “op” in high elo

When bap brig fell out of the meta, so did zen

so your fine with a support dying constantly but when a teammate switches to peel for them. That’s the problem?

So you hate counter picking?

2 Likes

Lol. not true.

If this was true zen would see no play in any rank under gm.

And barely any play in plat and below.

I said in high elo. When bap brig fell out of meta, zen did too

Meta never changes in low or mid elo

No one disagrees with that but where’s a solution? Do we seriously want to wait until those Bap and Brig reworks arrive in the Fourth Age of Middle-earth?

It could be easy to not touch Zen and go at Brig, Bap, Storm Arrows, Echo, FTH, Soldier, Hog, all the CC… There is no shortage of problems in this game, I have been complaining those for the longest time, years probably.

But blizz is adamant at keeping these damage levels, these CC levels, thus we the game needs to fit around them and in the current state of the game Discord is one item in an arm-long list of problems - but if it is the one Blizz is willing to adjust, I’ll take what I can get.

Blizz literally buffed Storm Arrows last patch.

The meta has shifted plenty of times since 2-2-2 and I really don’t give a darn anymore. The game isn’t fun for tanks and it’s not because of any specific meta, or any single hero being too strong or too weak, it’s not even about any role being weak or powerful, it’s about excessive CC and huge spikes of burst damage, stuff specifically targeted at being disruptive to tank gameplay, destroying what little they have of self-reliance and eradicating fun.

3 Likes

Starting to wonder why Double Shield came into existence and still is forced to this very day. Ball started to gain traction overall. Technically Hog is even more on the rise minus DPS/Supports farming tickets. Meanwhile, Rein and Winston kinda has faded away. Although Orisa isn’t even fun to play anymore.

Just revert tank nerfs.
¯\~(ツ)~/¯

1 Like

It isnt just discord, it is all damage boosting. Tanks can barely manage as it is, damage boosting just tips it over into utter BS.

Damage boosting was okay-ish, before all the damage creep, but now it is just a massive issue.

Combined with all the CC, and tanking is just a chore, not something actually fun.

2 Likes

Ok discord nerf for buff to primary fire and a shrink of hitbox.

Dive the Zen if he is an issue. Lucio, Moira, Winston, D.va, Ball, Doom, Genji, Tracer, and Sombra can get the job done. You have to focus problem players or they walk over your whole team. This is hardly exclusive to Zen.

1 Like